Carnival Dream Review - 2 night CTN

nycruiser80

I just came off of the Carnival Dream’s cruise to nowhere from NYC – 11/13 sailing. Here is a review of the cruise:

I know I post on here now and then but so you know where I am coming from here is a little about myself – I’m 28, I was a travel agent for 10 years and I am now a teacher. This was my 27th cruise and I have been on all the major mass market cruise lines except Princess. Within the last five years I have cruised on the following ships: Norwegian Spirit, Queen Mary 2, Explorer of the Seas, Disney Wonder, Costa Magica, NCL Dawn. My last cruise was in August of ’09 on RCI’s Legend of the Seas. For this trip I sailed with my friend who is 31.

Would like to also let you know that I don’t cheerlead for anyone one cruise line so I do my best to be unbiased and I have both negative and positive things to say – everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nevertheless as a general rule of thumb - I like any cruise I am on!!!!

EMBARKATION

Check-in was a breeze at the NYC – Manhattan port however after we checked-in we were given a number and waited a 1hr & ½ to board. Reason was that they could not use the large gangway because the Dream’s promenade (also her main entrance) was too high as was the deck underneath the promenade which could have accommodated the big gangway. Instead we had to enter through the crew area on deck 0. This caused major delays for most passengers boarding. The ship sailed about an hour later because of the issue but since this was a cruise to nowhere it really did not matter. In my opinion Carnival should have utilized the Brooklyn terminal; I think it would have handled the flow for that size ship better though I MUCH prefer leaving from the Manhattan terminal any day so I can sail down the Hudson. Leaving NYC is an amazing departure, I know I am partial because I am from the NYC area but out of all of my cruises from the different ports around the globe, leaving NYC is the most exciting to me, especially at night. I stayed outside and braved the misty, windy and cold conditions to watch us depart!

NOWHERE

Nowhere wasn’t that great! The weather was crummy all weekend and the cruise director said that a few options were tossed around like staying docked, anchoring in a cove in international waters or just going out to sea and sail slow in figure 8 directions. The captain choose the latter. I was happy because I wanted to be at sea however it was rocky – we hit 18ft waves supposedly – I have been in a lot worse but you definitely felt the ship moving. I think we had more swells then white caps so a lot of fore and aft movement. But what can you do its not the cruise lines fault and it was fun rocking along!!!

FOOD

I like Carnival’s food. Very comparable to RCI in my opinion and much better then NCL’s. I think Carnival always got a bad rap with food, especially within the travel industry. When I was a travel agent most other travel agents always talked negatively about Carnival’s food but I have sailed on Carnival 5 times now and have always had a good meal. I ate the 1st night in the Crimson Dining Room. I chose Your Choice dining and was seated with my friend immediately at a table for 4. After we ordered they sat 2 other people with us. The people looked shocked and I am sure we did too! I am not anti-social but I am not big on eating with strangers. I have in the past but I am not big into chit chatting with people while I eat. Of course, with friends I like to do that but not with strangers. I know I sound mean but everyone is different and I choose open style dining on any line I cruise because I found that it gives me an opportunity to sit with the party I am traveling with or my friend. Usually RCI or NCL will ask upon entering the dining room what your party size is AND if a table to accommodate your party size is a long wait they will give you an option to sit with strangers to make the wait time less. On this cruise I was never given an option as I was not asked my party size - they just sat my friend and I without inquiring. Next time I have to specify I want a table for two. What can you do at least the people were pleasant and they shared similar feelings about the issue. The last night we ate dinner at the buffet. I thought the food at the buffet was average to good and thought they had an adequate sampling of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I never went hungry!

CABIN

I love Carnival’s cabins – very roomy and nicely laid out. I had a category 8G – extended balcony cabin located on deck 6. The 8G extended balconies are located aft – and I will say that during the rough weather the ship shuttered in the back very hard about every few minutes or so. I have had aft cabins in the past on the Noordam and Carnival Legend and this was the worst in regards to movement. The hard shutter actually kept waking me up frequently because everything in the room would jostle and cabinets and doors kept flying open! Very adventurous!

ENTERTAINMENT

My friend and I are not big into shows so we skipped the two but I heard there were great. Many thought they were much better than anything they saw on NCL, RCI and Princess. I did see two comedians and enjoyed the comedy shows. Carnival now has about three comedy shows an evening – its great! They also had the much touted laser light show up by the pool. The weather was crummy and foggy. They had fog machines going as well so basically it looked like a big mess with music blaring and the TV screen going. Maybe it will look better in the Caribbean? But on a moving ship all the fog they were pumping was everywhere and it was disorienting. Overall I found the activities during the day to be a bit sedate and a bit lacking – though I realize I was on a 2 night cruise to nowhere and that this was not an ordinary cruise. I was bored a bit but I rested. Maybe they did not schedule much because of the weather. In any case at night there seemed to be a lot going on we enjoyed ourselves with the live music and comedians.

SHIP

The Carnival Dream is a descendent of the Carnival Destiny of which I sailed on in 1999. The Destiny debuted in 1996 so this basic structural design is well over 12 years old now. I have also sailed on the Costa Magica which also shares Destiny’s design. All I can say from sailing on these three “Destiny” cousins’ they are my least favorite ship design. I am not sure what it is exactly but I feel closed in and crowded and I had the same feeling on the Magica and Destiny. What has been corrected was the flow on deck 4. On the Destiny and Magica one could not get across that deck because the two main restaurants obstructed the flow. Reason was that they spanned the beam of the ship especially the midship restaurant. On Dream this was solved – on deck 4 the middle restaurant does not span the beam of the ship and allows one to move about this deck much freely then on past “Destiny/Conquest” class ships. This was a welcome improvement

The décor was typical Carnival which is entertaining and interesting. At times I felt it came off as tacky – of course all my opinion. I know for some they love the décor of Carnival ships which is great. To me the Dream seemed dark in many places – lots of uses of reds, grey’s, burgundies and blues – gave the ship a darker feel. The lobby had a typical Destiny/Conquest look and a dizzying yellow pattern on the main walls facing the glass elevators that twinkled.

The Lido Restaurant I dislike the most in terms of décor it reminded me of a locker room or bathroom with all those tiles!

I did like the interior of the main dining rooms.

One of the much talked about public spaces was the Ocean Plaza and the adjacent lanai and promenade deck. After seeing it in person I must say I like the space but I think so much more could have been done here. I applaud Carnival on the concept – I like the connection it has to the open promenade but the execution was poor in my opinion. First off they could have made double height ceilings in the middle of the plaza. Above it are inside cabins so this could have been done. Also they should have made an alternative dining area on one side of the plaza so that passengers could dine inside and outside on the promenade. Currently they have a coffee and dessert shop and people have their coffee and dessert on the lanai which is on the promenade but it’s not a restaurant. I think it would be cool to eat inside or outside watching the passing view. However the way it’s designed now - directly in front of the tables, where one can sip on coffee or have dessert is not a sea view but a Jacuzzi! They should have moved these down father on the deck. I feel like Carnival could have made the wonderful wraparound promenade more incorporated with the indoor facilities directly parallel to it – they could have had outdoor seating for the various clubs and giving the outdoor promenade a street or boardwalk feel. Maybe they studied it and the concept could not be executed?

OVERALL

The Dream is a nice ship and will provide her guests with a great vacation. After being on so many ships she does not stand out to me.

What I liked was the food, comedians, cabin and the outdoor wraparound promenade – wish every ship had this! What I did not care for was the overall ship layout and design and ship décor.

In a way I feel that Carnival is a bit nervous of RCI’s Oasis. I came home to find out that they had a press conference on the Dream the day I left on her (11/13 – the same day the Oasis came to Fort Lauderdale) basically defending their business strategy and marketing. Carnival is trying very hard in the wake of the launch of Oasis because they feel they are losing their competitive advantage (Innovation/evolution wise they are). There is no doubt about it – they created things on the Dream like the biggest water slide on a cruise ship, laser show and the Ocean Plaza – I feel that they are trying to be impressive with what they have. There is no denying that Oasis is upstaging them. One of the few things Carnival has going for them at the moment is price and quality. They deliver a quality cruise product at GREAT price. While I like RCI as I do Carnival the rates charged for the Oasis are out of many people’s league especially in this economic climate. I would love to sail the Oasis for next summer but for $250 more per person more I can sail NCL’s Pride of America around Hawaii! I most likely will put off sailing the Oasis because I could go on a more exotic trip for a few hundred more. Why would I want to spend that much money on a Caribbean cruise if I can take Carnival for much less and get a quality cruise experience. So what I don’t care for some of the décor…I’m still having a good time!

It will be very interesting what the future holds and I don’t believe one bit that Carnival won’t build a ship bigger than the Oasis. Give them some time!

In the end would I cruise the Dream or Carnival again? Most likely yes, especially if a unique itinerary comes my way!

Oh and John Heald was onboard walking around!

Pictures (hopefully the link will work):

Carnival Dream

Just posted a small review as well. Weather was pretty awful. We'll be rocking for a week I think. Not sure why a jacuzzi would be right outside the doors on Deck 5 either. We agree moving them away from the doors would have been a better choice. But we did like the Plaza area very much. A great place to congregate.

Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it. We were on the Oct 15th sailing in the Med.

I disagree with you about Carnival building a bigger ship than Oasis. Bigger is not always better. IMO, Carnival's business plan is much smarter than RCCL's, who is going into MAJOR DEBT to build these monstrosities. 6,000 passengers? That's a bit much.

With Carnival, they have taken a proven ship design and improved upon it. The Carnival Dream is a beautiful ship and is plenty big enough with 3,600 passengers.

I'm sure Oasis is incredible and is a destination in to itself. However, IMO, it is just over the top. I like what Carnival is doing and is a lot healthier financially because of their business strategy/plan.

I do agree with you, you get a quality product (cruise) for a lot less $$ on Carnival. Walmart my arse, go ahead and pay twice, 3 X as much for the same experience, with Carnival's quality frequently exceeding the competiton.

I loved your review! I share the same feelings about the dining. I prefer the company of my husband ALONE, so I always say "table for 2 only" during breakfast and lunch in the dining room. At dinner If I do traditional dining and as soon as we get on the ship we go to the Matri'd and get a table for 2. Worked out great every time!

I bet RCCL, since they ordered that ship before the recession and the state of the economy, would have cancelled that order if they knew that we would be in the mess that we are in today. The only choice they had was to continue on. I do bet they would get more passengers if they lowered their prices. The Dream is brand new, and their prices are not outragious in my opinion.

Glad you had fun!!

In a way I feel that Carnival is a bit nervous of RCI’s Oasis. I came home to find out that they had a press conference on the Dream the day I left on her (11/13 – the same day the Oasis came to Fort Lauderdale) basically defending their business strategy and marketing.

It will be very interesting what the future holds and I don’t believe one bit that Carnival won’t build a ship bigger than the Oasis. Give them some time!

I agree, I thought that giving that talk was a way to try and upstage RCL's Oasis. As far as Carnival NEVER building a larger ship than Dream ... Iv learned to never say never any more .... I think Carnival is saying it defensively. I got a cruising book from 1992 from my Library when Ecstasy just came out and they went on and on how huge Ecstasy was, imagine such a large ship. No one then could imagine how much larger Dream would be not even 20 years later.

Carnival could very well be eating those words in another 20 years.

Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it. We were on the Oct 15th sailing in the Med.

I disagree with you about Carnival building a bigger ship than Oasis. Bigger is not always better. IMO, Carnival's business plan is much smarter than RCCL's, who is going into MAJOR DEBT to build these monstrosities. 6,000 passengers? That's a bit much.

With Carnival, they have taken a proven ship design and improved upon it. The Carnival Dream is a beautiful ship and is plenty big enough with 3,600 passengers.

I'm sure Oasis is incredible and is a destination in to itself. However, IMO, it is just over the top. I like what Carnival is doing and is a lot healthier financially because of their business strategy/plan.

I do agree with you, you get a quality product (cruise) for a lot less $$ on Carnival. Walmart my arse, go ahead and pay twice, 3 X as much for the same experience, with Carnival's quality frequently exceeding the competiton.

Every time I hear that statement I think of Ford and the mistake they made with the Excursion. With any product, there is that wall that will eventually be hit where size is concerned (as Ford discovered). It will be interesting to see if the size (and the debt that came with it) of the Oasis is that wall....

Every time I hear that statement I think of Ford and the mistake they made with the Excursion. With any product, there is that wall that will eventually be hit where size is concerned (as Ford discovered). It will be interesting to see if the size (and the debt that came with it) of the Oasis is that wall....

To me it would be hard to separate the economy from the equation. If the economy had continued to boom, how would this have affected bookings on Oasis??

I dont think you can just say its not booking well so therefore, people dont like Oasis, with the economy so bad that people are counting their pennys. I think just looking at how Oasis is booking now is not taking the whole picture into account??

I dont know how Id feel about the bigger Oasis ... but if I lived in Florida Id be willing to find out.

Thank you for your review. I'm enjoying reading about the Dream in preparation for our cruise next month. My expectations really don't have much to do with a new ship, as much as hoping we enjoy this cruise as much as we have our previous cruises on Carnival ships.

Carnival could build a bigger ship, but I can't see us cruising it. We already feel like the Dream will be too big for us, but the price and date were perfect when we booked.

It was funny that DH saw the Oasis on the news but wasn't paying attention to whose ship it was and told me if I ever booked us on anything like that, he was staying home:eek:

Thanks Justin.

I didn't realize this was just another offshoot of the Destiny class. Will have to look at the floor plans.

The pix and how the ship is being described are not jelling for me. It looks like an attractive ship. Something at least I'm curious to see more of.

The real reason for the new wrap around promanade was to prevent people from being able to jump/fall overboard from their balconies.

That's funny. I thought the same thing as soon as I saw it. I am so glad they did it, though, because I loved walking on it. This is one of the things I like about RC and Princess.....having the deck that goes all the way around the ship. I spent 28 days on the Dream and had a great time!!:)

To me it would be hard to separate the economy from the equation. If the economy had continued to boom, how would this have affected bookings on Oasis??

I dont think you can just say its not booking well so therefore, people dont like Oasis, with the economy so bad that people are counting their pennys. I think just looking at how Oasis is booking now is not taking the whole picture into account??

I dont know how Id feel about the bigger Oasis ... but if I lived in Florida Id be willing to find out.

You make a valid point. I can't count the number of threads I have seen this past year where cruisers who have typically sailed on the more upscale lines have decided to give Carnival a try -- simply based on price. The economy has many people pinching pennies or doing things differently than in the past.

I hear you bigger isnt always better. I want to try Oasis but I have to say in August I cruised Legend of the Seas by RCI. The ship was 70,000tons....like Carnival's Fantasy class. I have to say I loved that sized ship. It was a perfect size I found everything and felt right at home! Don't get me wrong I like the big ships too...there impressive but I see that being on a human scaled ship is nice as well!

You never know with big companies....Carnival most definately took the defensive here and its a great strategy but at the sametime its a huge gamble on their part. Conversely the same can be said with RCI they took the offensive and has a great marketing strategy but they took a huge gamble fiscaly. Who knows who did the right thing...only time will tell. But one thing I have learned is that companies say one thing and do another. I have a travel agent magazine about cruises that I found stashed away at one of the offices I worked at. I think it was Cruise & Travel and was from 1992 I think.....in it there was an interview with RCI's CEO (at the time) Richard Fain (he is now the Chairman). In it he was asked if Royal Caribbean would build bigger then Majesty of the Seas and he said that it was unlikley that going any bigger wasn't feasible (I'm paraphrasing)!!! And now look what RCI has accomplished from Voyager to Freedom class to Oasis.

I too always disliked when people put down Carnival. Like I said many TAs I worked with disliked them and I would say how I felt and then they would say or your young. I have had better service and food on my 5 Carnival Cruises then my 1 cruise on QM2 (of which Carnival owns). Go figure!

I agree, I thought that giving that talk was a way to try and upstage RCL's Oasis. As far as Carnival NEVER building a larger ship than Dream ... Iv learned to never say never any more .... I think Carnival is saying it defensively. I got a cruising book from 1992 from my Library when Ecstasy just came out and they went on and on how huge Ecstasy was, imagine such a large ship. No one then could imagine how much larger Dream would be not even 20 years later.

Carnival could very well be eating those words in another 20 years.

Sorry, but nothing would make me want to pay those prices to be on a ship THAT BIG where I find myself wishing I were on a cruise. :eek:

Thanks Justin.

I didn't realize this was just another offshoot of the Destiny class. Will have to look at the floor plans.

The pix and how the ship is being described are not jelling for me. It looks like an attractive ship. Something at least I'm curious to see more of.

Your welcome..

Destiny came out late in 1996 and then came Triumph and Victory. The Triumph and Victory are tweaked versions of the Destiny I beleive have an extra half of deck up top so they are slightly larger then Destiny and carry a bit more passengers.

Then Costa got the Triumph and Victory ship design and came out with the Fortuna and the Magica

Then the Conquest class came out a spinoff of Triumph and Victory- that was a larger version (in length) of the Destiny/Triumph/Victory

Then Costa came out with the Concordia and Serena - spinoff to the Conquest but with some differences.

Carnival created the Splendour off of the Conquest and Costa spin-offs

Costa came out with the Pacifica - i think a spinoff of Splendour

and then we have now the Dream which is a spinoff of Spelndour. The Dream is the biggest departure from the original Destiny. She is rounder around the edges and she has the wraparound open air promanade, ocean plaze and better deck 4 layout.

Archived