Pullmantur Pacific Dream cruise

pecountygirl

Hi everyone,

nice to finally see some activity regarding the ellusive Pacific Dream.

I too am from Ottawa, and my wife, son and I are going on the March break cruise. I have sailed before with Carnival, and would just like to point out that not much should be expected. The price clearly reflects the level of extravagance, service, and attention to detail that one should expect.

Having said that, when I cruise, my bar bill is usually in the neighbourhood of $500USD, so come on people, this is a deal even with all the noise, and even if we are swimming in gasoline. As for people getting sick....in every single cruise, and/or resort, be it 1 to 5 stars, people get sick. Not everything is due to ecoli, or fecal viruses. It's due to a change to ones palate.

Finally, don't let anyone pre-dispose you to a bad time. Eat, drink(for free), and be merry!

Keep the reviews coming...and see ya onboard!

fripis

We are leaving on March 6th as well. I translated all the reviews on the Spanish Trip Advisor and they all said they really enjoyed the cruise. There were no complaints about the service, food etc. The cabins were spacious and clean. The only complaints were about booking tours through the cruise ship. They were too expensive compared to booking on shore.

How many people are going with you on March 6th? We are a group of 6.

See you on the cruise.

Hi RCLUSIAU and Tcmroxy,

There are four of us going on the cruise leaving from Ottawa on March 6th. So if Tcmroxy are six and RCLUSIAU are two (?) that will be at least 12 of us from here. As far as the excursions are concerned I’m planning on waiting until next week to book any, as soon as we hear back from jascom who has promised to update us all upon his return. He will be returning from the same cruise we’re going on next Sunday Feb. 27 so once I hear what he has to say we will decide then. Plato123 also had a good suggestion for booking through http://www.portpromotions.com or http://portcompass.com/index.php ahead of time.

We’re a little nervous too, not sure what to expect, but we’re also excited as well. Hopefully it will be fun!!

I hope everyone leaving on the Pacific Dream has a wonderful trip.

Our experience on this ship unfortunately was not a very good one and I assure you that the illness that my husband and I experienced along with our friends and many other cruisers was not due to a "change in palate", it was absolutely a virus of some sort to have affected so many people so drastically on the last night of our cruise. Of course this could happen on any cruiseline, but I just felt that Pullmantur did not pay as much attention to detail as other cruiselines that we have cruised with in the past.

Like I said in one of my other reviews, if you are a first time cruiser you will really enjoy this cruise, especially with the added bonus of all inclusive alcohol and the drinks are excellent. For hardcore drinkers ask for a Tornado. If you have cruised before you may have a difficult time adapting to this cruise. Do not expect to see any seafood on the menu, no Lobster! The entertainment is bad and goodluck if you need any help from the front desk staff.

US dallars are fine everywhere unless you venture off the beaten path like us. Buy your alcohol in port not on the ship, it will be much cheaper.

Take some time to explore Santo Domingo before leaving port.

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience on your cruise, I hope ours turns out better and that nobody gets sick! Did you go on any trips on the islands? What did you explore in Santo Domingo?

Thanks for your help!:)

I hope everyone leaving on the Pacific Dream has a wonderful trip.

Our experience on this ship unfortunately was not a very good one and I assure you that the illness that my husband and I experienced along with our friends and many other cruisers was not due to a "change in palate", it was absolutely a virus of some sort to have affected so many people so drastically on the last night of our cruise. Of course this could happen on any cruiseline, but I just felt that Pullmantur did not pay as much attention to detail as other cruiselines that we have cruised with in the past.

Like I said in one of my other reviews, if you are a first time cruiser you will really enjoy this cruise, especially with the added bonus of all inclusive alcohol and the drinks are excellent. For hardcore drinkers ask for a Tornado. If you have cruised before you may have a difficult time adapting to this cruise. Do not expect to see any seafood on the menu, no Lobster! The entertainment is bad and goodluck if you need any help from the front desk staff.

US dallars are fine everywhere unless you venture off the beaten path like us. Buy your alcohol in port not on the ship, it will be much cheaper.

Take some time to explore Santo Domingo before leaving port.

I'm sorry. I did not want to give the indication that anyone was being less than forthcoming about a potential virus. I'm sorry to hear that this happened, but yes, unfortunately, these things do happen when one travels abroad.

Just yesterday I read that over 300 were affected with a virus on one of the Celebrity ships.

Personally, as I indicated earlier, am not really expecting that much, and this is due to the price, and the fact that it is all inclusive. I'm sure I'll be disappointed by certain aspects, but that will likely be muted, as my alcohol content rises. I'll be packing gravor, immodium etc, and will prepare with some immunity generating standards(oregano oil, etc).

A note for those of us looking to book tours, etc, while on the ship.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! Anything that you can book while on the ship, you can do off the ship, at a fraction of the cost. This, I have learn't the hard way. Trust the fact that everything will present itself, once you hit the islands.

ottawanat....is there anything you can tell us regarding the alcohol? Premium brands, premium beers? Are the drinks premade, or made in front of you? Best bars, worst bars? Best places to dine, worst?

TIA.

Two more to add to your “traveling from Ottawa list”. My wife and I will be celebrating year 14 on this cruise.

I grew up in the Caribbean; I have visited many islands stayed at many resorts ranging from 0 to 5 stars. I have also slummed it on deck one next to the crew, and enjoyed the ultra luxury on premier deck as well.

I have never heard of this cruise line prior to booking and stumbled upon these reviews after we paid in full.

Am I worried?

No, a vacation is what you make it! This itinerary looks amazing, the variety of ports, the cultures we will experience and the fun will out way the insecurities.

Value for my dollar is high (We got a deal BOGO ½ off)

Here is some perspective. It snowed yesterday, it is snowing today it will probably rain tomorrow in Ottawa.

I am looking forward to seeing a sunrise/set over the blue horizon and being away from the miserable Ottawa winter.

I will be sipping my cognac in my Sens jersey regardless of the customer service experience .

It will still be better than shovelling my driveway.

Cheers

I love your attitude Mr Passat! I agree that a vacation is what you make it. See you at the airport next Saturday.:D

Two more to add to your “traveling from Ottawa list”. My wife and I will be celebrating year 14 on this cruise.

I grew up in the Caribbean; I have visited many islands stayed at many resorts ranging from 0 to 5 stars. I have also slummed it on deck one next to the crew, and enjoyed the ultra luxury on premier deck as well.

I have never heard of this cruise line prior to booking and stumbled upon these reviews after we paid in full.

Am I worried?

No, a vacation is what you make it! This itinerary looks amazing, the variety of ports, the cultures we will experience and the fun will out way the insecurities.

Value for my dollar is high (We got a deal BOGO ½ off)

Here is some perspective. It snowed yesterday, it is snowing today it will probably rain tomorrow in Ottawa.

I am looking forward to seeing a sunrise/set over the blue horizon and being away from the miserable Ottawa winter.

I will be sipping my cognac in my Sens jersey regardless of the customer service experience .

It will still be better than shovelling my driveway.

Cheers

Hello all.

Regarding the drinks, they are very good and there are several name brands that are included at no cost. The quality of mixed drinks will vary by the bartender and how busy he or she is. We had great mojitos made the right way with fresh mint at one place and another was just OK. There is no cognac included in the free stuff but the Spanish brandy named Soberano, and the french armagnac are good. I kept a copy of the drink menu which is 4 pages long and definitly is European in flavour. Scotch includes J.Walker Red, Teachers and White Horse, and there is Jack Daniels bourbon as well as several kinds of rum.

I fully agree with Mr. Passat about relaxing and having a good time, and not just because my last car was a Passat. It will be much better than shovelling slush as we had to do today after the plow went by.

BTW, brand name soft drinks are pricey with a can of Coca Cola going for $2.80, and if you really want a cognac, a Hennessy XO will set you back $18.20 US. A 36 year old Macallan scotch will cost you $39.00 a glass.

Regarding the comment made by FRIPIS on not booking excursions on the ship, I generally agree based on what we saw and not just the cost but the hassle the way it is organized on the ship. Nevertheless, the one real benefit of booking on the ship is that the ship will not leave port without you if something goes wrong. At least that is what we were told.

Go Travel South ceases operations

Updated: Wed Feb. 24 2010 17:49:55

ctvottawa.ca

An Ottawa based tour operator has ceased operations - leaving vacation plans up in the air for hundreds of area travellers. On its website, Go Travel South cites economic circumstances as the reason behind its closure.

The travel company provided charter service to Mexico and the Dominican Republic. It urges people with bookings not to go to the airport because all flights have been cancelled, and to contact their credit card provider to get refunds.

"Please note that we will only be sending out itinerary and e-tickets and will not be responding to any emails," the company stated. "We are extremely sorry that you will not be departing on your planned vacations.":mad:

We are retired and were looking forward to another cruise, but I know it must be worse for those with young families who were looking forward to a March Break adventure.

For us, we still hope to cruise with Pullmantur and would like to know if anyone has or plans to book a cruise with Pullmantur through another (reputable) travel agent.

The cruise experience on a non US cruise ship was a great international adventure. I know Royal Caribbean owns Pullmantur but in Canada we are exposed to so many american influences, it is nice to be in a different space for a change. We will be looking into a Meditteranean cruise with them in the near future, but had been planning on their Caribbean repostioning cruise this year. Oh well.

Wow what a day! Fortunately visa refund by next Wednesday.

Looks like we are going to Punta Cana instead. The kind folks at Algonquin Travel in Hull (the owner and his daughter) took good care of us.

Almost booked an 8-day Carnival cruise on the Miracle (Western Caribbean) which is on sale by the way departs Ft Lauderdale. Interesting itinerary and cheaper than the GTS price. Thought you may like to know.

I truly hope it goes well with all of you.

we found out gts has gone under during trip on pacific dream.flair air came to pick us up on feb/27th as a gesture of good public relation.we got back but question remains is there any use puting a review of trip.

If anyone knows of other booking agent for pullmantur please let me know.we like to go again on cruise with pullmantur.

Thank you and please no offence.

According to Pullmantur in Spain their agent in Canada is TMR Vacances in Montreal. I have sent them a message asking if they will be offering Pullmantur packages in the future but have not heard back yet.

Pullmantur must have lots of space on the Pacific Dream for its repositioning cruise on March 13, and asked if we still wanted to go, but the airfare for an open jaw flight of Ottawa-Santo Domingo and Cozumel - Ottawa is way too pricey.

I would like to hear what jascom thought of their first cruise too.

plato123

we enjoyed our first cruise very much.it was a blast and we like to go again.please let me know if you find out any more info about booking and agents etc.

they were very helpful with us.staff was amazing.we wanted to change cabin they did it for us.we wanted to change to different dining table they did that for us.anything we asked they helped us.we liked the food.we liked the drinks.we liked cabin.we liked everything.

our email is jascomdc@(nospam)yahoo.com plato123 if you find out anything please let me know.

we are retired people too and do feel very bad about gts screwing up vacations of lot of people.we almost got stranded but flair air brought us all home.thank you flair air.

Plato123 and Jascom:

Welcome to the Pullmantur Cruises fan club. I've been a member for three years, and have now taken two cruises with them. I'm not allowed by website rules to mention an agent, but America's largest and most respected cruise website with the initials VTG has Pullmantur Cruises for sale, but only on it's Spanish language page on it's site. In fact, Plato123 an inside cabin on that 13th March repositioning cruise is only US$ 345. Pity about the cost of the airfares.That's where the GTS charter flight and transfer to the ship were so attractive. But sadly,no more.

Archived