HELP! Ft. Lauderdale is there a taxi or shuttle service that has toddler car seats?!

computerkitten

We have twins that just turned 2 and prefer of course to not bring our big car seats to just get from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the port. Our hotel is just 2 miles away from the airport. I understand safety is absolute priority but wondered if there is a taxi service or shuttle service who have them already that we could reserve there in Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks,

CK

You might want to do a Google search. I've taken taxi/vans many times in FLL and MIA, and never saw a car seat, other then the ones people brought with them. Don't expect them on any port stop, either. Most of the taxis/vans/open air taxis I've been in didn't even have seat belts. They are removed to cram in

as many people as possible. I've been all over the Caribbean and have never seen a car seat or seat belt law. The only way to be assured is to bring your own car seats and rent a car. $$$$ and a hassle, if you've never driven on one of those islands! You won't be in Kansas anymore, Toto. Your US health insurance won't be accepted on the ship, either. Is this your first cruise?

Im a carseat tech and Im bringing my carseat - there is NO WAY I'd ever rent one, they are often old/expired/missing parts/broken/dirty/unsafe.

You shoud have your kids in carseats on the plane anyways for their safety and comfort, unless you have CARES harnesses for them.

Also at the ports, just because you are in a place that doesnt have carseat laws doesnt magically mean your kid wont die in a car crash. Your child's safety should be more important than what the law says is safe, even in the U.S the laws are for minimum safety standards, not what is the best practice. For example some states say your child doesnt have to be in a carseat/booster at 4yrs old, yet unless your 4yr old is the size of a 10 yr old, there is NO WAY they are safe in just an adult seatbelt.

My kid in a moving vehical, rides in a carseat, or he doesnt go. Period.

You are one smart parent. ;) I applaud you. :D

I agree!!!

CK - when is your cruise? We are cruising with our kids out of FLL on 12/12. I found by calling ahead most will put carseats in the van to transport the kids at no extra charge if you just let them know. Also, while in port I found that if you schedule the excursions yourself and make reservations (not through the cruiseline) the vans that pick you up can provide car seats as well. This is what we're doing.

And before anyone jumps on me about expired carseats, I am aware that not all car seats are safe and may be expired. While I cannot look up every car seat, if it does not meet my standards I will not put the kids in it. However it was just going to be too much to bring both the kids car seats with us... ;)

We have twins that just turned 2 and prefer of course to not bring our big car seats to just get from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the port. Our hotel is just 2 miles away from the airport. I understand safety is absolute priority but wondered if there is a taxi service or shuttle service who have them already that we could reserve there in Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks,

CK

we always choose hotel with shuttle so you dont need car seat

Ok. I have to comment here. Just because the law doesn't REQUIRE car seats in a shuttle, doesn't mean you shouldn' have one. I never used car seats because of a law, I used them to keep my little ones safe. I could pay off a ticket if that was the issue, but I could never pay off the death of my child.:(

Still haven't heard anyone advise how to transport kids in ports where many vehicles don't even have seatbelts, let alone car seats. Has anyone had this experience? TIA.

We talk about this all the time. So just to recap my own experience, yes, we always take car seats. Yes, the taxis have always had seat belts (in my experience). I have heard that some don't - but we would just wave these off and wait for one that did.

I book excursions that avoid vans/cars/taxis if I don't want to lug a car seat in that particular port. We have avoided this by taking excursions that use water ferries/water taxies/catamarans and buses.

So to answer your question, in port, take a car seat or plan an excursion that doesn't use land transportation (except bus)

And yes, there have always been seatbelts to strap the car seats in. Maybe we have just been lucky. But 8 cruises with the kids. Eight cruises with car seats. Never have we had to transport without the kids being properly strapped in.

We talk about this all the time. So just to recap my own experience, yes, we always take car seats. Yes, the taxis have always had seat belts (in my experience). I have heard that some don't - but we would just wave these off and wait for one that did.

I book excursions that avoid vans/cars/taxis if I don't want to lug a car seat in that particular port. We have avoided this by taking excursions that use water ferries/water taxies/catamarans and buses.

So to answer your question, in port, take a car seat or plan an excursion that doesn't use land transportation (except bus)

And yes, there have always been seatbelts to strap the car seats in. Maybe we have just been lucky. But 8 cruises with the kids. Eight cruises with car seats. Never have we had to transport without the kids being properly strapped in.

You have certainly been lucky! I've taken several shore excursions on buses, and never saw a seat belt! (Xel-Ha, Tulum, St. Maarten/Martin, Xpu-Ha, Chichen Itza, St. Thomas, St. Lucia (to the Pitons),Island tour of Barbados, Island tour of Grand Cayman, Nassau, and more. I've also taken water taxi (Nassau) - a very short ride. Have also taken water ferries from STT to St. John, STT to Tortola, and from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. Rough water!! What water taxis/ferries have you taken? I've been on many catamaran excursions as well. They were none too stable, and we wore lifejackets....lots of people walking around, and drinking the proverbial rum punch, as well as beer. Where have you cruised that you've been able to find the seat belt amenities? I actually looked for a newer taxi in Tortola to go to Cane Garden Bay that had seatbelts! I actually found one that had ONE seatbelt (in the middle seat of the back seat), and was glad I had it during the 25-minute ride over twisty-windy roads and very high "mountains". You said that you wave off the non-seatbelt taxis, but how did you actually find one that had them on your eight cruises? Most of the taxis/vans are pretty old! In all honesty, I can say that during my 30+ cruises, I never saw anyone standing in port with personal car seats! I've taken several post-tour excursions in the US, and can't remember seeing seat belts on any bus. Please let us in on your secret! TIA.

When we cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale last spring we contacted the hotel that we were staying at and had them arrange for an airport limo to pick us up with a booster seat for our youngest daughter who was 5 at the time.

Imsulin, if you had children and you were honestly asking for them, then I would answer your question in great detail.

I just don't have the time to play tit for tat with you right now.

Read my reviews. I have lists of every excursion we have ever done.

I do have grandchildren, though, and I am honestly asking for them, as we are planning a cruise for next year. They are three and one. When they fly here, they bring carseats for the plane, and their rental cars have seatbelts. Their parents and I have done many, many cruises, and I just haven't seen the things that you have re: buses or taxis with seatbelts!! Believe me, DD and SIL are VERY observant about having their kids in proper child restraints! (Oregon is one state with strict laws about this!). Guess I'm just asking where you actually found a port bus with seatbelts! Or a taxi! BTW - Age 3 has been to Japan, Costa Rica, and Cabo. Age one has been to Cabo. Plenty of seatbelts in Japan and Costa Rica (rental car). Very few in local taxis/vans in Cabo. (This past April) IMHO, it's not so much that you don't have time for a reply, but that it's really difficult for you to answer specific questions. I truly don't mean to be argumentative, but you post information on lines you haven't sailed, and all I see is a list of cruises you have done, some before your kids were born. Am I reading this wrong? I apologize if I have. Where is your list of reviews? I've been to many islands and ports, and am just asking you where you actually found buses and taxis with seatbelts, and your experiences with water taxis and ferries. I've had these experiences, and they're just not my recollections at all! On my third HAL cruise (Zuiderdam 2005), I waited 45 minutes to find ONE taxi with at least ONE seat belt - for ME - to take me to Cane Garden Bay! I think it would be VERY helpful if you posted some VERY REAL specifics for those who take young kids and carseats with them on cruises...especially port websites that offer land transportation with seat belts. You have far more posts than I do, but far less cruises. TIA.

I think it would be VERY helpful if you posted some VERY REAL specifics for those who take young kids and carseats with them on cruises...especially port websites that offer land transportation with seat belts. You have far more posts than I do, but far less cruises. TIA.

Just because you have been "cruising since the 70's" doesn't make you very helpful around here. Try being helpful and not argumentative. And then maybe I will take you seriously.

Is there a reason specifically that you are so argumentative with Michele?

Thanks for your post. I'm not trying to be argumentative at all. Just trying to get specific answers to specific questions. Since my cruising days began in 1978, I've just never seen some of the things Michele has seen in port! (Buses with seat belts, taxis with seat belts). Unless you rent a car. My five kids have been on cruises as well, and on any water ferry or catamaran, we have always worn life jackets.(Never saw a carseat on a catamaran) I just think that potential cruisers taking young kids and car seats on a cruise need more accurate information other than "Maybe we were lucky". I don't have nearly as many posts as Michele, but I have been on many more cruises. Eight cruises where car seats have been successfully seatbelted on local ground transportation? I'm just asking where and who!!! I ask this because we are considering a family cruise next year, and car seats will be an issue. Once again, thanks for your post. Happy cruising!

And like I said, read the reviews and you can see the excursions. And buses DO NOT have seatbelts. I never said they did. On buses, you are not allowed to put a car seat on a bus. But here is each port...as you requested....

--Nassau

----water taxi (no need for car seat)

----water ferry to Blackbeards Cay (no need for carseats)

-----and the taxis. Went into the port building and got in line at the transportation desk. Asked for taxis to Atlantis. Was led by a driver to a taxi mini van. It has seat belts. The kids car seats were strapped in.

-----outside Atlantis, had the concierge get us a taxi (we were guests of Atlantis), the taxi had seat belts (did this trip twice - same experience both times)

--water ferry to Blue Lagoon (did this twice) Dolphin Encounter

--Freeport Bahamas

----taxi, mini van, picked up at the cruise terminal, had seatbelts

----limo from Our Lucaya back to the cruise port. Charged us the same per person as a taxi ($5). Had seat belts

----Cruise Excursion to Dolphin Encounter - used water ferry to Unexo, no car seats needed on the boat

--Grand Caymen

----Excursion through RCCL - Butterfly Farm, mini van, had seatbelts

--Cozumel

---RCCL exursion to Passion Island, first leg of trip, full sized bus, no car seats needed on a bus

------2nd leg of trip, a small ferry boat to get us out to the island

-----RCCL Excursion to Playa Mia, used mini van shuttles, had seatbelts for the car seats

--Belize

----tender to Belize can do the City/Zoo Tour which uses a boat down the river

----cave-tubing.com uses full sized buses, no need for car seat

--Costa Maya

----after the hurricane, the port area has been rebuilt for cruise guests. There is a large pool and fountains for young ones to play in. Sun chairs are all around the pool. No need to leave the port area. No need for car seats.

--St. Martin

----Disney Cruise excursion to St. Martin Orient Beach - uses full sized buses, no car seat necessary

----NCL excursion called "Under the Two Flags" tour. Used a full size bus to transport from one side of the island to the other - no car seat needed

--St. Thomas

----Cruise excursion to Coral World - uses small mini vans, seatbelts were in the mini vans, used car seats.

----Some of the tour companies use Open Air Safari Buses to Coral World - avoid these, no seat belts on the bench style seating

--Key West

----Aquarium - within walking distance, no car seat needed

----Glass Bottom boat tour, no car seat needed

--Labadee

----beach day, no car seat needed, walk to Dragon's Breath Point or take the tram, Adventure Ocean is moved to the island if needed

--CocoCay

----beach day, no car seat needed, Adventure Ocean is moved to the island if needed

--Great Stirrup Cay

----beach day, no car seat needed

--Castaway Cay

----beach day, no car seat needed. Disney's Kids club is moved to the beach if the adults want to do an excursion without the kids

--New Brunswick, Canada

----hired a private tour company called Freedom Tours. They asked if I wanted car seats when I booked the tour. I told them I was bringing my own. They used new mini vans for the tour - the car seats were secured into the belts.

US Ports and taxi/shuttle info from Airport to Ports

Miami - MUST have a car seat for a taxi. They will not transport without one. All taxis have seatbelts in Miami. MIA Airport to MIA Port is 8 miles, but 20 minutes by taxi. Flat rate $24 plus tip

Fort Laudedale - MUST have a car seat for a taxi. They will not transport without one. All taxis have seatbelts in Fort Lauderdale. FLL Airport to PE Port is 2 miles, but 10 - 20 minutes by taxi (pending on port traffic). Rate starts at $10 can be as high as $30 pending on traffic

Port Canaveral - Private Transport (car rental or private car) is a better choice when going to PC. MCO Airport to PC is 45 minutes by car. We've done both. We've rented cars from Enterprise and brought our own car seats. We used Florida Towncar Service ($200 round trip) on at least 3 of our cruise trips. They used to rent car seats. They stopped doing this last year. We always bring car seats. The Towncars have seat belts.

NYC - we parked at the terminal so no transport needed from airport to port.

I hope this info helps someone that is actually going to need it.

Michele, please read post #12. You did say that you opted for buses. That's what has me so confused! No car seats needed on a bus? Why not? What makes a bus with no seat belts different than a van or a taxi with no seat belts? Were you ever concerned about taking your kids on tenders/water taxis/ferries, where they could only wear life jackets and were not at all secured to a seat? Sorry, but I'm having a problem with your insistence on putting young kids in carseats in belted ground transportation (except for buses), and not much concern at all about water transportation, which can often be rocky - and no secured seat for little ones. They pretty much sit next to you or on your lap - something you would never consider doing while driving your own car! I sure wouldn't! Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just trying to understand your logic. You refer to "no carseat required", rather than the real fact, which is that carseats cannot be accommodated on water transportation. None that I've seen or been on, anyway. DD and SIL live in Oregon, which has some pretty strict laws about carseats! When I visit, I have to struggle with their carseats before I can even back out of the driveway! We are planning a cruise next year (probably Disney), so the carseat issue is in play. No offense, but if I were to rely on your information alone, I would be pretty confused. However, my cruising experience since the late 70's really does give me experience! And credibility. DD and SIL also have a number of cruises under their respective belts, so we pretty much know what we're talking about. I thank you for your reply, though. I just find your priorities confusing. Anyway, thanks again.

Michelle,

Why do you bother? Imsulin argues with everyone and pretty much knows everything better - been there first and more often - so just give it up. None of us can live up to her "high standards".... one of the reasons she's on my blocked list.

I would expect that if I'm on a "blocked list", there wouldn't be any kind of reply! Thanks, though. I'm not arguing, but am asking legitimate questions. No, I do not "argue with everyone". I don't believe that I have ever said anything negative about you. Never lied about my cruising experiences. Thanks for your post.

I just find your priorities confusing. Anyway, thanks again.

I can't tell if you are really dense or just trying to be argumentative. I am guessing its the latter.

Any parent in today's world understands that car seats cannot be on buses or on boats. It's pretty self explanatory. They aren't designed for car seats.

notentirelynormal can see your posts when I quote you even if you are on her ignore list. Or do you require further information on that too?

notentirelynormal - agreed. I am done.

I actually found this helpful, but on the beach days when you say no car seat is needed, did you walk to the beach? I have been to these islands before, but never with a child and I don't remember the beach being so close to port. Also, if anyone has any information about what I could do in Roatan I would really appreciate it!

Archived