Fishing on a cruise?

GoldWest

Are there any fishing excursions on a 5 night/western Caribbean cruise in February?

What cruise line and what ship? Typically, if it's offered, an offshore fishing excursion through the cruise line is very expensive! Don't expect to bring your marlin back onboard with you. You'll pay a LOT for mounting and shipping. Some excursions are catch and release. What, exactly, are you looking for?

I was wondering the same thing. I LOVE fishing. I would go for sport on vacay since you can't take it w/ you!

On my last two cruises there were NO fishing excursions HOWEVER when I was on a Carib island at a public beach, at the far end was an old guy fishing w/ string and a hook and fish bait. He caught octopus a ray, etc.

He said it was all stuff you could get at a store-I said "I have no time to go to a store, can I hang w/ you?" He's like "here, I'll set you up" How sweet?

Anyway, if you 're looking for deep sea/charter fishing get off the ship and find your own charter. Just be back on time for the boat. A lot of the charters work w/ cruise line customers and have them back on time.

Hubby and I LOVE exploring and playing it by ear when getting off the ship. Many times we find the same excursion but save A LOT OF $ because we don't pay the cruise line.

GOOD LUCK :)

You could start by checking the ship's shore excursion offerings. You can also post your question on the ports of call boards for the ports you'll be visiting.

Bingo. Then also google excursions for the port. You may find some more trips that are offered independently of the cruise line.

Not sure of your ports but we went deep sea fishing in Cozumel and it was great. We were on RCI not Carnival though. There were two different fishing excursions offered by RCI, deep sea fishing and bottom fishing. We caught mahi mahi and saw another boat pulling in a sail fish. There were only 6 people on the excursion plus the captain and two deck crew so everyone got a chance to sit in the chair and pull something in. The excursion sold out quickly and had a waiting list.

If you are going to Cozumel, I would check out the port of call thread. Their were a few different boat captains that posted about private excursions. One also posted a list of what type of fish to expect at what time of year.

Archived