Dawn: The dress code "experiment"

mtwingcpa

Having seen numerous messages over the last few moths about dress code issues aboard the Dawn, I was very curious as to what I would find during the 11/1 "Circle Caribbean" cruise (an excellent cruise, by the way).

First, here was the dress code as stated in the Freestyle Daily:

"What to wear: You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Resort casual, including jeans, is welcome in any of our restaurants. No shorts permitted in any restaurant after 5:00 pm."

But this was clearly not enforced. Things that I saw worn in the main dining rooms at dinner (and NOT just on the first night) included:

- Shorts of all descriptions, including striped athletic shorts.

- Jeans of all descriptions, including heavily worn items that appeared to have been used as work-pants or overalls.

- T-shirts of all descriptions, including those printed with advertising slogans or expressive sayings.

- Ball caps, worn in all directions.

- People who appeared to have come directly from the pool area, wearing slightly damp or soiled "cover-up" clothing.

On one night a restaurant manager stopped by my table, so I inquired as to what was going on. He stated that they currently weren't enforcing any dress code because they were "experimenting" with allowing people to wear whatever they wanted, anywhere on the ship at any time, and that included shorts, t-shirts, etc. "Keep it simple," he said.

I replied that I found it disingenuous to publish a dress code [as per the Daily quoted above] and then make absolutely no effort to enforce it.

He replied that he understood my concern, and he assumed that company management was considering such issues and that further adjustments to the policy would be forthcoming.

Those were the "facts." Now, for my "opinion":

On prior NCL cruises I have seen numerous "technical" dress code violations, such as people wearing jeans or shorts at a time or place where they weren't allowed. But the people in question didn't necessarily look "bad." However, aboard the Dawn, some of these people looked like "slobs" as they had clearly made no effort to check their look before arriving at the dining room. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for them... Or embarrassed on their behalf...

So, did any of that "ruin" my cruise? Of course not. But did it undercut the "ambiance" of what was supposed to be an upscale dining experience? You bet! It seems to me that in keeping with the concept of freestyle choice, there ought to be at least ONE dining room that has a clearly stated AND ENFORCED "resort casual" dress code (collared shirts, dockers, etc.).

There are yahoo's everywhere. Thanks for the observations.

I agree. Interestingly, the "dress code" quoted from the freestyle only specifically excludes shorts after 5 pm. The rest of the OP's concerns are common courtesy (wet, filth, caps) , common sense or the OP's interpreation of resort casual (collared shirts with dockers vs jeans with tee). It would be delightful if people wore dry, clean clothing and removed caps indoors. Personally, it has absolutely no impact of my meal if others wear jeans and tees with inoffensive slogans.

i wear slacks and a polo shirt or button down casual shirt to dinner every night, but i really can not remember ever looking around to see what others are wearing, i ndestand some feel in ruins the "ambiance", but who really cares what others wear.

life is way too short

Mtwingcpa ~ I found your post interesting and informative. Thanks for posting.

I "know" why you made a point of being observant on your Dawn cruise, considering the dress code threads that have invaded the NCL section of cc.

Thanks again for posting your findings.

It was interesting to me to hear that there was an actual experiment on board with the dress policy, and that a staff member was willing to discuss it.

I don't like the idea of publishing a policy and then not enforcing it at all....the experiment is tainted in that way. It seems to me that the experiment would have been better performed if the dress code was not mentioned at all and all passengers were informed before the cruise of that fact....that would have been interesting!!

My last cruise was not as nice as it could have been because one in our group refused to put on long pants at night, so we ate every dinner in the buffet. I missed the various dining room experiences because of this. We were trying to honor the published policy....dumb us, I guess.

i wear slacks and a polo shirt or button down casual shirt to dinner every night, but i really can not remember ever looking around to see what others are wearing, i ndestand some feel in ruins the "ambiance", but who really cares what others wear.

I care. And I think lots of people care. A small percentage of people wearing excessively casual clothes in a restaurant doesn't change much, but once a substantial fraction of the diners dress down the whole character of the dining experience changes. It's along the same lines as upscale decor vs. informal chain restaurant decor.

Thank you very much for taking the opportunity to ask directly and get an informed answer!! With first the menus and now this, it appears that NCL has chosen the Dawn to be the 'experimental' ship. It's too bad they didn't take the time to inform passengers... though of course that would have affected the results.

I have to say, I now have a much different perspective on the discussions there have been of late regarding the dress code on the Dawn. I've been reading the Dawn threads thinking that I had some sort of relevant experience because I'd been on other NCL ships, but clearly this is not the case, as the dress codes were always enforced. So, while in the past I was a bit shocked and confused at what people were describing on the Dawn, it now makes much more sense. I'm not sure why the powers that be thought they needed to actually proceed with an experiment, mind you... these are humans, after all. I know I'm no longer surprised by the extent of the dress code violations!

It was interesting to me to hear that there was an actual experiment on board with the dress policy, and that a staff member was willing to discuss it.

I don't like the idea of publishing a policy and then not enforcing it at all....the experiment is tainted in that way. It seems to me that the experiment would have been better performed if the dress code was not mentioned at all and all passengers were informed before the cruise of that fact....that would have been interesting!!

My last cruise was not as nice as it could have been because one in our group refused to put on long pants at night, so we ate every dinner in the buffet. I missed the various dining room experiences because of this. We were trying to honor the published policy....dumb us, I guess.

Hi Baker!

I think posting the dress code and seeing how many ignored it if it wasn't enforced WAS the experiment. Having no dress code at all would be a completely different one - as would informing people before boarding (or packing). Considering how many versions of the menu they went through, we may yet read about future 'experiments' of all kinds!

As for your last cruise experience, I don't think you were dumb at all to want to honor the published policy. Remember that old saying 'If all the other kids jumped off a cliff...' well, being respectful is a choice and making it is never 'dumb'. I would have ditched the friend in the shorts, though. I eat most of my meals on NCL in the dining room that allows jeans so that my husband can be comfortable in his, but if he refused to change out of his shorts, he'd find himself alone in the buffet while my daughter and I dined elsewhere. :)

Hi, I'm just jumping in with my own opinion. Not critizing or bashing. In MHO, I take freestyle to do whatever, really means eating, activities, excursions, and the like at your own convenience and pace. Somehow, I don't really think freestyle to do "whatever", really means dressing inappropriate for dining room venues.... It means eat when you want, where you want.

I think NCL needs to clarify their "free to do (operative word "do")..whatever and whenever should not include free to dress like you are going to the beach at dinner time....How hard is it to shower and put on slax and a decent shirt for the men and slax and a decent blouse for the ladies?????

I did notice on our 10-30 Jewel cruise that a lot of the cruisers who were dressed nicely, seemed to get more attentive service and personal stops by the Mat.D...We were one such couple.

I think NCL would do more business by enforcing 'a little more dressing for dinner'. Nothing super dressy, but 'nice restaurant quality".

We will do NCL again and dress as we always do. Fashionable and neat and leave the shorts for the daytime.

Thanks for letting me Vent.

Safe travels all.

You are way too nice. :) I would have ditched that person and let them eat alone in the buffet. Never let anyone else run your life! (Thanks mom for those wise words!:))

I really don't understand how hard it is to dress approprately for dinner. It's not rocket scientry, it's common courtesy.

I wish they would experiment on other ships besides the Dawn. I'm afraid to book her!

Having seen numerous messages over the last few moths about dress code issues aboard the Dawn, I was very curious as to what I would find during the 11/1 "Circle Caribbean" cruise (an excellent cruise, by the way).

First, here was the dress code as stated in the Freestyle Daily:

But this was clearly not enforced. Things that I saw worn in the main dining rooms at dinner (and NOT just on the first night) included:

- Shorts of all descriptions, including striped athletic shorts.

- Jeans of all descriptions, including heavily worn items that appeared to have been used as work-pants or overalls.

- T-shirts of all descriptions, including those printed with advertising slogans or expressive sayings.

- Ball caps, worn in all directions.

- People who appeared to have come directly from the pool area, wearing slightly damp or soiled "cover-up" clothing.

On one night a restaurant manager stopped by my table, so I inquired as to what was going on. He stated that they currently weren't enforcing any dress code because they were "experimenting" with allowing people to wear whatever they wanted, anywhere on the ship at any time, and that included shorts, t-shirts, etc. "Keep it simple," he said.

I replied that I found it disingenuous to publish a dress code [as per the Daily quoted above] and then make absolutely no effort to enforce it.

He replied that he understood my concern, and he assumed that company management was considering such issues and that further adjustments to the policy would be forthcoming.

Those were the "facts." Now, for my "opinion":

On prior NCL cruises I have seen numerous "technical" dress code violations, such as people wearing jeans or shorts at a time or place where they weren't allowed. But the people in question didn't necessarily look "bad." However, aboard the Dawn, some of these people looked like "slobs" as they had clearly made no effort to check their look before arriving at the dining room. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for them... Or embarrassed on their behalf...

So, did any of that "ruin" my cruise? Of course not. But did it undercut the "ambiance" of what was supposed to be an upscale dining experience? You bet! It seems to me that in keeping with the concept of freestyle choice, there ought to be at least ONE dining room that has a clearly stated AND ENFORCED "resort casual" dress code (collared shirts, dockers, etc.).

:):):):)

On the Spirit (16 day repo) it was the same thing, shorts were allowed. I only bring pants for the MDR's. After the 2nd day, I never worry pants again, just nice dress shorts, collared shirt (golf type attire). Most of the time we would get back from port, change, sit out for sail away, then go eat, then off to a show! I dislike wearing pants in warmer climates, and was happy that the dress code was not strictly enforced. I could care less what other are wearing, I'm there to eat, have a good time..as long as they don't look like they just got done working on cars all day:D

You are way too nice. :) I would have ditched that person and let them eat alone in the buffet. Never let anyone else run your life! (Thanks mom for those wise words!:))

I really don't understand how hard it is to dress approprately for dinner. It's not rocket scientry, it's common courtesy.

I wish they would experiment on other ships besides the Dawn. I'm afraid to book her!

Ah, but the problem with common courtesy is that it is anything but common!! (like sense! :p)

With long standing hat etiquette rules hats and caps can be worn inside.

Long gone are the days when one entered a restaurant or institution a hat person could have used a hat rack, have a hat and coat check in, and/or at the very least be offered a chair by the hostess to place a hat. It has always been okay to wear a hat inside until one of the above occurs, anywhere.

When institutions don't provide any of the above, its okay to wear the hat in disgust. This is a very common occurrence today. No hat rack, and/or no chair offered, much less a hat and coat check in.....

Hat etiquette rules work both ways.... Unfortunately no one knows proper hat etiquette anymore....

Hats are considered accessories, similar to umbrellas and purses. It has always been very improper to place a hat on a table or on the floor. With bench seating its okay to place the hat next to you. But when a restaurant refuses to offer a chair, where else but on your head is there a place to place it?

Ok, so I'm somewhat confused.

I don't like to dress up. Sorry, I just don't. Most of the times when I go out, it's in a decent pair of jeans and a nice t-shirt. I have very few slacks and button-up shirts. However, if there's a dress code, I do respect it.

We're booked on the Dawn in less than two weeks. The less I have to pack, the better. It sounds like many people are showing up in the MDR with shorts and t-shirts or worse. Since I know about the unofficial policy now, and know that many will be dressing down...would it be rude of me to show up in jeans and a t? It'd be that much less to pack, one less time to change clothes, etc. Heck, might even be nice to come in shorts occasionally (especially on port days).

So...if everyone else is doing it, AND I know the Dawn is experimenting with this laxer dress code...would it be ok to actually take advantage of it?

I wanted to add in my Big Country central Texas hometown the only institutions I am aware of that have a hat rack are the local choke and puke, the barber shop, the county jail, the courthouse, city hall, and a several churches. Unfortunately none of the fast food nationwide restaurants do. Nor does our bbq restaurant.

I have yet to see on a cruise ship a hat check in, or a hat rack in any of their public rooms, dining rooms, restaurants, and/or lounges.

I wanted to add in my Big Country central Texas hometown the only institutions I am aware of that have a hat rack are the local choke and puke, the barber shop, the county jail, the courthouse, city hall, and a several churches. Unfortunately none of the fast food nationwide restaurants do. Nor does our bbq restaurant.

I have yet to see on a cruise ship a hat check in, or a hat rack in any of their public rooms, dining rooms, restaurants, and/or lounges.

Choke and Puke?!!! Gross Don!!!! :eek: Is that a diner of some sort?

Ok, so I'm somewhat confused.

I don't like to dress up. Sorry, I just don't. Most of the times when I go out, it's in a decent pair of jeans and a nice t-shirt. I have very few slacks and button-up shirts. However, if there's a dress code, I do respect it.

We're booked on the Dawn in less than two weeks. The less I have to pack, the better. It sounds like many people are showing up in the MDR with shorts and t-shirts or worse. Since I know about the unofficial policy now, and know that many will be dressing down...would it be rude of me to show up in jeans and a t? It'd be that much less to pack, one less time to change clothes, etc. Heck, might even be nice to come in shorts occasionally (especially on port days).

So...if everyone else is doing it, AND I know the Dawn is experimenting with this laxer dress code...would it be ok to actually take advantage of it?

Your jeans will be fine. A t-shirt wouldn't bother me. In some NCL literature, even though they tout not having a dress code, it says "collard shirts" for men. I think that's old school, personally. There are some really nice shirts out there for men that don't have collars.

According to Hugo there is no such "experiment" going on or was there ever. He stated that during the season to Bermuda it is somewhat difficult to enforce the dress codes in the dining rooms. With all of the families and lots of kids it becomes a little more difficult to enforce. He says they need to enforce the dress codes a little better "because there is no reason to let sloppy dressed people in the DR".

Hugo will check to make sure it was not the Restaurant Manager that said this. But he believes it may have been a Maitre d' and not the RM Serhat Kati.

Just a little clarification. I am not doubting what was said to you.

PE

With long standing hat etiquette rules hats and caps can be worn inside.

Long gone are the days when one entered a restaurant or institution a hat person could have used a hat rack, have a hat and coat check in, and/or at the very least be offered a chair by the hostess to place a hat. It has always been okay to wear a hat inside until one of the above occurs, anywhere.

When institutions don't provide any of the above, its okay to wear the hat in disgust. This is a very common occurrence today. No hat rack, and/or no chair offered, much less a hat and coat check in.....

Hat etiquette rules work both ways.... Unfortunately no one knows proper hat etiquette anymore....

Hats are considered accessories, similar to umbrellas and purses. It has always been very improper to place a hat on a table or on the floor. With bench seating its okay to place the hat next to you. But when a restaurant refuses to offer a chair, where else but on your head is there a place to place it?

Are you saying that ball caps are acceptable in the MDR and specialty restruants, do you wear your ball cap to church?

:(:(:(:(:(

Archived