"Wow, is that an Ocelot in the elevator?" (Oosterdam, 11/2/09) :)

heathriel

We have cats at home but there is a timer and place for them. On board a commercial cruise ship is not the time or place.

It sounds like the presence of the cat really enhanced your cruise but it was obviously a self centered attitude on your part with a total disregard to anyone who may have had allergies to cats or cat hairs.

I know that Holland America's policy is that only service animals are allowed on their ships and they are treated extremely well by the ship and the crews. We have encountered them several times but they have always been REAL service animals that wore the appropriate vests and WERE NOT treated as pets.

Just our opinions

Ruth & Jim

Morgan is not a pet, he is a trained service animal. He is also hypoallergenic, as he doesn't have fur (he has hair, like a human - or a poodle, one of whom was also on our ship, and who happened to be about half of his size.)

It is only because of Holland America's requirement that he not be left unattended in our cabin that he was with us at all points of the cruise. We would have happily left him in the cabin if they would have let us, and he would have been able to sleep, as he needs to be alert at night, but we had to have him with us.

Unfortunately, you seem to be underinformed as to the variety of types of service animals and the tasks they can perform. The thread referenced in an earlier post discusses it at length, and covers not only the different animals, tasks, and the laws governing them.

Anyone who has met me or Morgan would likely attest that he is not a "Pet."

We have cats at home but there is a timer and place for them. On board a commercial cruise ship is not the time or place.

It sounds like the presence of the cat really enhanced your cruise but it was obviously a self centered attitude on your part with a total disregard to anyone who may have had allergies to cats or cat hairs.

I know that Holland America's policy is that only service animals are allowed on their ships and they are treated extremely well by the ship and the crews. We have encountered them several times but they have always been REAL service animals that wore the appropriate vests and WERE NOT treated as pets.

Just our opinions

Ruth & Jim

Not sure what you would mean "treated as pets". How do you think people with service animals (dogs, cats, horses, etc.) treat their animal when it's not "working". I'm quite sure they treat them the same as we would our pets. With the same love and affection. I don't think someone with a leader dog puts the dog in a cage when it's at home. I would have loved to be on the same cruise as Morgan.

I've got a Bengal too! Mine's a silver Marble, they're so lovely. I can attest to their train-ability and hypo allergenic status, and I'm sorry some people seem to think you're just taking advantage. I know some Mini horses that are service animals... THAT would be fun to see on a cruise!

One of the issues having Morgan in the MDR must come up on formal night.

Does he like wearing a jacket and tie? The solution to that would be to have trained service penguins - they would be all set up for formal night just as they are, without any added clothes.:D

Just our opinions

Ruth & Jim

Thank you, on behalf of those of us in Orlando, for lowering our percieved IQ by 10 points. In the future, please do some research first, before posting such harsh comments.:mad:

On a lighter note, Heathriel, great review and pictures. I was wondering did Morgan have to go on a post-cruise, weight loss diet like the rest of us? I mean Lobster, Escargot; it's hard going back to kibble.:D

Just our opinions

Ruth & Jim

Ruth & Jim,

I don't generally respond to any of your posts, but I've read an awful lot of them, and almost always enjoy them and frequently agree heartily with you. However, on this issue I will respectfully disagree with your post above. It seems that you have either read about why Morgan is a service animal and thus allowed on board and disagree that it is necessary (which I think is not for either of us to judge) or perhaps did not read the original post (linked on page 1) that explains the situation. It is also clear from the OPs previous posts and explanations as to why the cat had to be with them at all times (HAL policy); the OP even acknowledges that they wished that hadn't been the case because it would be important for Morgan to sleep during the day to be alert at night to perform his duties.

I appreciate the many contributions you've made to this forum but have been disturbed by this posting since my original reading of it yesterday and decided now to share my thoughts.

One of the issues having Morgan in the MDR must come up on formal night.

Does he like wearing a jacket and tie? The solution to that would be to have trained service penguins - they would be all set up for formal night just as they are, without any added clothes.:D

But they'd ALWAYS be resetting the thermostat!

I am normally quite entertained by Ruth & Jim's posts, and generally agree with their sentiments, but I have to say I am extremely insulted by this last post. You really should do your research before making such insensitive and, frankly, dumb comments.

I have been Type 1 diabetic for many years, and can't tell you how many times my dog has woken me up, in time, to treat a bad low, before it required the paramedics. Sadly, we have not completed her training, and certification, as an official service animal, therefore, she stays home when we cruise. My husband suffers many sleepless nights, waking me every two hours, to test my blood. He and I both wish we could have our dog with us, and would follow all of HAL's requirements to do so. I'd hate to think that there would be ignorant people out there, complaining about my 'pet' being onboard.

:) Heathriel, bravo on your well written review, and kisses for Morgan!

Heathriel, we really enjoyed your thread, and along with many others you have educated us on service animals. We knew about the dogs, but the Bengal Cats, Birds, Miniature Ponies were a new lesson... Thanks again...

And in terms of the MDR, for those people who choose not to read an entire thread... well, you should read more before posting...imo

"Morgan is not a pet, he is a trained service animal. He is also hypoallergenic, as he doesn't have fur (he has hair, like a human - or a poodle, one of whom was also on our ship, and who happened to be about half of his size.)" quote....

[quote name='heathriel']Those are the only ones I have available at the moment. We've got them on different phones, cameras, camcorder, etc, have to get everything together in one place.

But, those are ones that have recognizable (to HAL fanatics) HAL sites in the background ;)[/quote]

Heathriel,
Fascinating review of the cruise. I was wondering whether you posted pics somewhere else? I would love to see some from the Aruba excursion.

Thank you for educating and entertaining us! :):):) Salzburg

Archived