medical insurance for cruise

TJM965

We are on a 12 day Explorer this coming Sunday. I have NYS Empire Plan ins. I just read that a couple of people were injured early this month due to falling, from the rough seas. They had to leave in San Juan due to their injuries. Also I have read if you need to be transported before reaching a port, it is several thousand dollars.

I just got a quote from Travel Guard for my Dw and I. $49. Seems very cheap. Will they really cover everything or will I have to jump thru hoops for any reimbursement if needed?

I just got a quote from Travel Guard for my Dw and I. $49. Seems very cheap. Will they really cover everything or will I have to jump thru hoops for any reimbursement if needed?

"Everything" is a pretty broad term. They'll cover what they say they'll cover and no more. You need to read the policy information to find out exactly what that is.

You will have to do some paperwork to get reimbursed --fill out the claim forms, attach a statement from the doctor, etc. Whether that counts as "jumping thru hoops" I guess is up to your own opinion.

Because you have waited, anything connected with a Pre-exsisting will not be covered. Medical coverage is seperate from evacuation costs are seperate and must be part of the policy.

By the way "most" standard medical coverage is effective ONLY within the 50 states. Once you hit international waters, your ouwn coverage may or may not be good. Check BEFORE you leave.

and getting airlifted will cost more than a few thousand.

$49 seems awfully cheap for a 12 day cruise.

try http://www.insuremytrip.com

Bill

My wife and I pay around $300 total for a policy that covers medical care and evacuation for a full year. She was in the hospital in Australia for several days and all expenses were covered. It even covers us in the states if we are more than a defined (I forget the number) distance from home.

If the $49 is just for medical for just 12 days, this seems expensive to me compared w our policy.

DON

Archived