Pipe bursts in 'Statendam' cabin during Transcanal

jleq

I appreciate it,but you're certainly no slouch when it comes to clowning around

You win, hands down!:) Have a great week, I'll be back with my W review. I don't plan on much here, just alot of beach stuff. Hanging with a book and a beer, you know?

You guys are funny. I do love that about you.;)

Do all Hal ships have water probelms.??? WE sailed on the Statendam and from the first hour had water firstly down the walls and then the ceiling, she had been in dry dock for 10 days?? We were compensated with a small amount of OBC and free lunch in Pinnacle.Had 3 days of time spent at the front desk!!!! However, another passenger who had complained of electricty failing while in shower was compensated with $400. right away.They then after we had arrived home offered on ,a less than 7 days cruise, a 2 upgrade??? Never used it as it was of no use to us. However, we are just looking at HAL again but after seeing these pages ????

Sorry you had a bad trip and have to say we have only given people good reports.

REgards.

Do all Hal ships have water probelms.??? WE sailed on the Statendam and from the first hour had water firstly down the walls and then the ceiling, she had been in dry dock for 10 days?? We were compensated with a small amount of OBC and free lunch in Pinnacle.Had 3 days of time spent at the front desk!!!! However, another passenger who had complained of electricty failing while in shower was compensated with $400. right away.They then after we had arrived home offered on ,a less than 7 days cruise, a 2 upgrade??? Never used it as it was of no use to us. However, we are just looking at HAL again but after seeing these pages ????

Sorry you had a bad trip and have to say we have only given people good reports.

REgards.

Take a moment and read post #11! You do realize this incident occured on Statendam, don't you? The same ship you're referring to

I wonder which of the October cruises they were on. I was on the Oct 1 SAN-FLL. Seventeen cabins were flooded, affecting 28 passengers. They spent the rest of the night after they were displaced trying to sleep in the library. Several of the passengers were sent home from the next port, but most stayed on in cabins that had to be dried out, have carpet replaced and in some cases the beds had to be replaced. There were fans running for several days, but even in the hallway it smelled quite bad. Obviously there were not enough empty cabins to move the remaining passengers into. Two of my tablemates were in affected cabins, and the compensation they received was very similar to the initial offer in the news story (and laundry service for all their clothes that were soaked). They might have been satisfied if they had been treated with respect and compassion (and been kept informed of what was going on) during the flooding and aftermath, but HAL just didn't come through with customer service. They lost several repeat customers that day.

J

I appreciate it,but you're certainly no slouch when it comes to clowning around

Oh Please!

I don't post to entertain. I also don't post media to substitute for thoughtful contribution to a thread.

AND certainly not at any posters expense, which your HALmark.

Look, lets agree to disagree on this and drop it.

Smooth sailing...

I wonder which of the October cruises they were on. I was on the Oct 1 SAN-FLL. Seventeen cabins were flooded, affecting 28 passengers. They spent the rest of the night after they were displaced trying to sleep in the library. Several of the passengers were sent home from the next port, but most stayed on in cabins that had to be dried out, have carpet replaced and in some cases the beds had to be replaced. There were fans running for several days, but even in the hallway it smelled quite bad. Obviously there were not enough empty cabins to move the remaining passengers into. Two of my tablemates were in affected cabins, and the compensation they received was very similar to the initial offer in the news story (and laundry service for all their clothes that were soaked). They might have been satisfied if they had been treated with respect and compassion (and been kept informed of what was going on) during the flooding and aftermath, but HAL just didn't come through with customer service. They lost several repeat customers that day.

J

Well, people love this line and hate to hear criticism of it, but you touched on the salient points.

As has been stated on this thread, and you have noted, it comes down to poor problem resolution with respect to HAL guest relations and for the life of me I don't know how anyone could OBJECTIVELY argue otherwise on this one.

The other issue is the one about respect and that would require a more subjective evaluation. I happen to believe that the original offer did not demonstrate heaping amounts of it on HALs part. It appears it is a view I share with you. Others may disagree.

I am not a HAL basher, the only thing that I am consistently disappointed with about with HAL is their problem resolution on-board ships. I bring attention to this NOT because I dislike the line, but because I want to help make HAL, a very good line, even better. Its the area where their need to improve is most obvious to me.

Recently on another line I spoke with Guest Relations about a problem, and the officer said: wow, we are sorry, what can we do to make this right for you? I almost thought that was a trick question. HAL Front Office and Guest Relations staff have never been that accommodating in MY experience. Problem resolved. Customer happy. They tell the world about it. That is how it should be.

I make no apologies to anyone for trying to put HAL's feet over the flames on this one.

The situation of HAL and its pax and the cruise industry in general can only be improved with more sensitivity directed towards pax whose vacations have been ruined through cruiseline generated problems.

To those who love the line I say you picked a good line to love, if thats your thing, but you will not do the line, its pax or the industry in general any favors by trying to minimize or rationalize complaints of this nature away made by the aggrieved pax who write about their experience on this board.

I myself assume that they too want to help make a better HAL.

Smooth sailing to you...

Oh Please!

I don't post to entertain. I also don't post media to substitute for thoughtful contribution to a thread.

AND certainly not at any posters expense, which your HALmark.

Look, lets agree to disagree on this and drop it.

Smooth sailing...

Your post (s) # 43 and #50 tell a different story

Your post (s) # 43 and #50 tell a different story

Yes, you are right. You got me. And all of your posts are examples of satire in the highest tradition - humorous and witty to the end that humans and their institutions may be improved. Alright?

This is getting old.

You still have not communicated your view of HALs handling of the experience presented to this board by the OP - unless "ship happens" was it, in which case, thank-you for the thoughtful observation.

As always, smooth sailing...:D

You still have not communicated your view of HALs handling of the experience presented to this board by the OP - unless "ship happens" was it, in which case, thank-you for the thoughtful observation.

As always, smooth sailing...:D

I've decided to leave that in the hands of all the board attorneys we have on here:rolleyes:

And all of your posts are examples of satire in the highest tradition - humorous and witty to the end that humans and their institutions may be improved. Alright?

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Got to be the funniest thing I'll read all day.

So, three vampires walk into a bar and sit down at a table. The waitress comes over and asks the first vampire what he would like. The first vampire responds, "I vould like some blood."

The waitress turns to the second vampire and asks what he would like. The vampire responds, "I vould like some blood."

The waitress turns to the third vampire and asks what he would like. The vampire responds, "I vould like some plasma."

The waitress looks up and says, "Let me see if I have this order correct. You want two bloods and a blood light?"

So, three vampires walk into a bar and sit down at a table. The waitress comes over and asks the first vampire what he would like. The first vampire responds, "I vould like some blood."

The waitress turns to the second vampire and asks what he would like. The vampire responds, "I vould like some blood."

The waitress turns to the third vampire and asks what he would like. The vampire responds, "I vould like some plasma."

The waitress looks up and says, "Let me see if I have this order correct. You want two bloods and a blood light?"

I'm gonna use it.:)

Smooth sailing...

HAL is no different to any other company, all they are interested in is the bottom line, money and profit.

From what I have read they have handled this situation badly, and it back fired on them. It is sad that people have to go to the media to get a better outcome. This couple must have went through so much stress.

The safety of these passengers was put at risk with them being left in their cabin, I realise there wasn't another one available.

HAL is no different to any other company, all they are interested in is the bottom line, money and profit.

From what I have read they have handled this situation badly, and it back fired on them. It is sad that people have to go to the media to get a better outcome. This couple must have went through so much stress.

The safety of these passengers was put at risk with them being left in their cabin, I realise there wasn't another one available.

When things go right with HAL, its a thing of beauty. Its not an exaggeration to say that some HAL vacations have been magic.

Will HAL learn something from this? I hope so.

Sometimes seniors have a harder time being taken as seriously as they had previously been accustomed to. This applies to a variety of activities from getting car repairs, to getting an estimate for home improvements to customer service.

Here is a couple celebrating their fiftieth wedding anniversary. They face a problem HAL couldn't use the usual excuses for the too bad so sad responses (problem beyond our control or act of God or security issues etc). The condition of the vessel is under HAL control - not Gods and not the pax.

They tried to blow this senior couple off on the ship and then the suits reportedly tried to blow them off again at HQ.

Surprise, the couple was not as lacking in the capacity to stand-up for themselves as HAL judged. It blew up in their face.

HAL has done well by seniors.

Biting the hand that has fed them all these years is just plain dumb - and really, really disappointing to me.

Smooth sailing...

My husband and I just returned from 28 days on the Statendam (San Diego to Ft Lauderdale and back). We heard that some cabins had a water leak. In fact one couple at our table had a water leak and they were most unhappy. But then they were unhappy from day one. Nothing was going right on their cruise. They were unhappy with the size of their cabin (they were in a Veranda cabin). They didn't like the food. Don't know what they were offered in compensation, but I am sure that unless their total cruise was refunded--they wouldn't have been happy with what HAL offered. It is fruitless for all of us to comment on what HAL should or should not have done. We don't know how the couples that had the water problem approached the situation. Did they only talk to the front desk? Did they actually talk to the Hotel Manager?

For the record, we had a wonderful 28 days. We weren't flooded out. We were in an inside and had no problems with our cabin. Had a great Cabin Steward. One of the best Wine Stewards for the first 14 days of our cruise---William. William entertained all his tables with tricks. He made us laugh. The crew was fantastic. They all worked very hard to make sure we had a great cruise. Had a fantastic Cruise Critic Meet and Greet thanks to Sissy Ruth. Memory Merchant lent us his Penthouse for a wonderful party before a fabulous Pinnacle Grill Meal. The CC members were a great bunch and we all had a great cruise.

Archived