Book a SZ on Zuiderdam Get SY Help?

Seamo

Hi,

I booked a SZ guarantee on Zuiderdam. I go to the 'online check-in' and see that I'm in SY mid ship.

There are only TWO SZ cabins. Each has a angled balcony that is a little larger than the others (because of the angle).

Can someone explain what happened.

I wrote ... (in chat) ... with a HAL rep who wrote : "You booked a guarantee your guarantee a SZ or higher".

I answered, yes SZ is SZ .

The rep responded: "you may get an upgrade at no extra charge, is that a problem" .....then she abruptly ended the chat.

Should I go hide in the sand box ...

or what ???

Please,

tell me ....... were I went wrong .....or ......anything .... at all. tee-hee

Many thanks, Seamo

the operating word here is "guarantee". With only 2 of the SZ cabins you very much want only one of those 2 cabins and you needed to book for the specific cabin and check the box "no upgrades or reassignment". Are the 2 cabins still available? Bet not -- if you know about the larger balcony probably the rest of the world does too. Midship is often a higher class even if it is not what you wanted. Hope you enjoy your cruise anyway. Do you have a TA? Perhaps one could help you here.

Bowie MeMe,

Thanks for the info. We booked thru VACA2GO and we thought that the booking meant SZ ; and with 'or better' meaning the next higher cat , not SY or SS.

We have been told that this IS considered an 'upgrade' --- but we are ignorant as to what that means (ie: better materials , nicer sofa, extra ice -tee-hee. I get the picture, that actual location (towards mid-ships), is a plus but this SY is only 5 forward from the SZ and the SZ looks on the deck layouts as if it not only has a larger balcony (with the out-angle) but an extra triangular interior space at the outboard wall.

So our ignoance is showing....the HAL rep responded as tho I were the Lead character of one of the Geico commerials. ( "is that a problem" ).

We really apppreciate your input and help ... thanks so much.

Seamo

Sorry Semo but that is a bad trick from the upgrade fairy. Mid ships and higher floors are considered better (more expensive) thus if you go 5 cabins toward midship that indeed could be called an "upgrade". You would also be charged more for a cabin one deck up thus an "upgrade". Some upgrades really do not make you happy. Next cruise go for the exact cabin you want. Find a TA that you like and work with them. A good TA could have/should have explained the cabin booking vocabulary of guarantee. Now you know. Enjoy your cruise. The few inches of extra balcony will not make or break a wonderful vacation. Happy Cruise.

Semo-sorry you are disappointed with the upgrade. The SZ, SY and SS categories are all very nice cabins, but I understand why you feel you have been misled.

We have learned that if we want a specific cabin, we book it. If we will be happy in any cabin within a given category, or higher, then we book a guaranty cabin category.

In my opinion, HAL considers an "upgrade" to be any cabin which would have cost you more to book, than the any cabin in the category that you booked for the guaranty.

I hope that you will still enjoy your cruise. :)

Was the guarantee cheaper than booking a specific cabin?? Im betting it was. People book guarantees, and roll the dice, to save money usually. It costs more to choose a specific cabin, but if you have your heart set on something so specific, book the cabin is usually best as you are being told.

You will find the SY cabin to be most satisfactory and the veranda will be large enough. You will have more privacy on a SY veranda than you would on a SZ veranda. I think you will see what I mean when you get aboard.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Bowie MeMe, Bill S, firefly333 and rkacruiser,

Thanks for the reply(s) and the info and ... the encouragement. We booked gaurentee and knew we 'must accept' what may come in the way of upgrade and I do believe we got a ggrreeaat price ;)....so we will certainly have a very good feel as we board the Z regardless of where the cabin is located. (Although, below LIDO always seems a little too loud and at 6 am especially.) There were only two SZ showing; one facing aft the other facing forward. As we reflect on the odds of the wind in our faces 24x7/11 , we started to think better of our "upgrade SY". So ... with just 11 days to go we are smiles ear to ear ... And again ... THANK YOU, all for your interest and posts.

Regards, Seamo

• 1 year later...

Seamo, when my other sister decided to join us in April, we had upgrade from inside to a balcony. Of course the balcony was just a bit more expensive but to give us a suite. Well! This was processed with our agent on Thursday. They gave us SZ 6117. This is a cabin for 3 only. You can image our surprise upgraded us to a suit from a balcony with no extra cost. We were extremely happy about this. Neither of us have sailed Holland America before. But we have sailed Carnival, Costa and Princess. Their web page did state special sale on oceanview and balcony. We are so please about this. Now I wonder if we may be upgraded again to an SY or such.

Does anyone know if we get VIP boarding with the Superior Suite?

C'estsibon: congratulations on the nice upgrade!

To answer your questions:

Yes, it is possible that you could still be upgraded to an SS Superior Suite or any of the Deluxe Suites (SC, SB, SA). However, I would not bank on getting one. The Superior Suites are very nice. Plan on staying in the Superior Suite and you will not be disappointed.

Unfortunately, only guests who have Deluxe or Penthouse Suites have priority embarkation. Also, guests who are 4-Star Mariners have priority check-in.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Too bad about VIP boarding. It would have made it easier for my sister she is 80 years old and will be celebrating her 81 on April 21.... Party time.

The only thing about the Balcony is that is may be a bit more windy. We can certainly adjust to that.

Thank you Bill for clearing this up.

Julie

After checking all the images and photos of the SS cabins and SZ one I think the SZ is winner. Since we did not book a guarantee I believe they should not be able to change us unless we agree. That is I think.

Because you were upgraded once already' date=' although it is not likely that you will be upgraded again, it still could happen. [/color']

Unless you specifically tell your travel agent/agency that you do not want to be upgraded, HAL still has the option of upgrading you without your approval. By not indicating that you do not want an upgrade, you have given implied consent for HAL to upgrade you.

Hopefully, they will leave you in the SZ cabin. You may want to contact your travel agent to ask HAL not to upgrade you again.

I have contacted by TA. Final payment is due on the 27. I have informed him that we would not accept an upgrade unless is was to a Deluxe Suite and, that is a big and no extra cost to the 3 of us.

That would be nice. Just another superior suite is not good enough even though it may be on an deck above. Not worth it for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived