Air Gorilla - Oasis

sail7seas

I just checked and both RC's Oasis and Liberty and Crown Princess will be sailing on the same date as Zuiderdam. It sounds like we could get caught in traffic, but we can always leave a little early for the port. I guess I better get my flights to FLL booked early to make sure we can get there. We're flying in the night before, but I imagine many others will be trying to do the same thing. The good news is it looks like we're the only ones docking when we get back.

Perhaps it would have been better if RCI had built a port in Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale for its big ships. The impact of all those passengers would be less in a much larger city. And the Miami airport has way more flights to way more places than Fort Lauderdale does. Probably a good chunk of Oasis passenger will in fact use MIA. Good news for the shuttle companies!

The Oasis WILL be tendering in Labadee on her first time there and untill the new pier is finished.

Incorrect.

Oasis will dock in Labadee.

The pier is complete. Freedom of the Seas docked there today!

Our friends who were on Oasis for two day cruise to nowhere compliments of RCI have returned and said they had a good time. They didn't love everything about the ship by any means but some of the photos they sent us look great. I'd surely go visit if we were invited for lunch and a tour but there is almost no chance I'd ever sail that thing.

I sailed on Island Princess Nov. 20-30 for its Panama Canal run. The Oasis was in port both days on turnarounds for two or three night cruises.

I have been sailing out of Port Everglades more than 10 times and I didn't notice anything different whatsoever. The Oasis termirnal is far removed from the others - heck there is a freaking waterway that seperate the Oasis terminal to the HAL and Princess terminals.

Will it add more traffic? Yes. Will it add more people at the airport? Yes. But FLL and the port are aware and the facility appears to be constructed in an incredilby efficient traffic pattern.

I've been to Port Everglades with 9 ships and with 2 ships ... the difference isn't enough to make me decide to not sail on that day.

Now, I'd NEVER sail on Oasis and stay far far away from the Caribbean ports when she's there ... but that is a different animal than Port Everglades imo.

When you (and we) were at Port Everlgades, Oasis had not yet begun any revenue cruises. We cannot judge what acitivty will be like when they start to do regular cruises, embarking and disembarking every week. All they have been doing are parties and invitation cruises to no-where. It isn't likely any of those free parties went out with 6,000 guests aboard.

We are sailing on the Noordam on February 3, but will have to disembark on February 13 (Saturday) when Oasis is disembarking as well. I understand that there are 5 or 6 other ships in Fort Lauderdale that day -- should be a blast at the airport. In addition, we are in St. Maarten the same day as the Oasis. Maybe we'll just stay on the Noordam and laugh at how long it will take to tender passengers ashore.

I do not believe Oasis will be tendering at any port. New docks were being built to accomodate the ship. Sorry to dissappoint you ;)

When you (and we) were at Port Everlgades, Oasis had not yet begun any revenue cruises. We cannot judge what acitivty will be like when they start to do regular cruises, embarking and disembarking every week. All they have been doing are parties and invitation cruises to no-where. It isn't likely any of those free parties went out with 6,000 guests aboard.

I agree, but I can argue on the 20th it was worse because Good Morning America was set up and had major traffic areas blocked off for security / crews / cameras / trucks / etc.

I think the number of people filling the ship will be so full Floridians that the increase in air traffic won't be enough to make a major dent into the already crazy FLL security checkpoint. Although I must say Monday morning it was incredibly easy to get through FLL, so maybe they've changed some things for the better. One can hope!

We've decided we'll likely never take another Caribbean cruise, and our next voyage is likely the South American coastals. So hopefully we never see the headache FLL sees on heavy cruise days.

The ports might not be as bad as you think. The ship will be the destination for many who sail her. I am not going on Alure because of the ports we will be visiting. I am going on for the ship. I am sure we will get off for a while on some stops but I do not expect to get off at every port.

Now I need to see if she will be in port while we are on the Grand next year.

Archived