Thinking I maybe should've booked Celebrity Solstice instead of Oasis.

daviesmom

In all the Oasis excitement, I hastily booked a week-long cruise for August. My friend and I were also considering Celebrity Solstice which had a similar itinerary (Eastern Caribbean) during the same time period, but ultimately we picked Oasis (a big part of our decision was the bigger balconies with the D1 cabins). The more I read though, the more I'm starting to worry it's going to be a big floating mall, full of kids, and big lineups everywhere. I'm also worried that we're never going to find a deck chair or find a spot in the pool. I also thought the roof in the adult-only solarium area opened, but apparently it doesn't. Help! Should I cancel and book on Solstice? We just want a beautiful ship, with great dining options, and very nice staterooms. We also just like hanging out by the pool, so getting a chair is important to us! Advice?

....We just want a beautiful ship, with great dining options, and very nice staterooms. We also just like hanging out by the pool, so getting a chair is important to us! Advice?

I can say with certainty that the Solstice fulfills all of your criteria. The Oacis of the Seas? Time will tell!

In all the Oasis excitement, I hastily booked a week-long cruise for August. My friend and I were also considering Celebrity Solstice which had a similar itinerary (Eastern Caribbean) during the same time period, but ultimately we picked Oasis (a big part of our decision was the bigger balconies with the D1 cabins). The more I read though, the more I'm starting to worry it's going to be a big floating mall, full of kids, and big lineups everywhere. I'm also worried that we're never going to find a deck chair or find a spot in the pool. I also thought the roof in the adult-only solarium area opened, but apparently it doesn't. Help! Should I cancel and book on Solstice? We just want a beautiful ship, with great dining options, and very nice staterooms. We also just like hanging out by the pool, so getting a chair is important to us! Advice?

I would read some reviews that will be forthcoming before you cancell.

I would read some reviews that will be forthcoming before you cancell.

I think you're right, and I probably wait for the reviews to come in before I decide. Oasis does look like a lot of fun, and I have to say that I have a little bit of a crush on Captain Wright. LOL! So I won't cancel unless I'm absolutely positive Solstice is a better option for us!

In one word, no.

In more than one word...

...unless, of Solstice has nicer staterooms, more and better dining options, and a guaranteed chair by the pool just for you. And they likely do not have a guaranteed chair for you.

If your cruise is in August, your full payment is not due for quite a while. Set your fears aside for two months. In the meantime, let the reviews come in and you'll have a MUCH better idea whether or not the Oasis is for you.

Truth be told, no one REALLY knows what Oasis will bring until she has started sailing in December, so don't be discouraged about things you are reading right now.

I think you're right, and I probably wait for the reviews to come in before I decide. Oasis does look like a lot of fun, and I have to say that I have a little bit of a crush on Captain Wright. LOL! So I won't cancel unless I'm absolutely positive Solstice is a better option for us!

Although, a b2b getting off the Oasis and onto the Solstice would be nice..Or vice versa...

If your main concern is getting a lounger in the sun, it will be mighty hard on the Solstice. I walked completely around the ship everyday on 2 decks and never found an empty lounger or chair. I never got to sit in the sun the entire cruise. There are very few chairs or loungers on deck.

I did read that Celebrity has started removing towels from chairs that haven't been used in a while. If they are really doing this it's great.

Judy

I just watched Oasis leave Ft. Lauderdale. We sail Celebrity and Royal Caribbean pretty interchangably. We've been on Solstice three times. We are booked on Oasis.

I don't think anyone can really compare the two ships at this point. But that being said, I don't think there is any doubt that these are two very different ships offering very different experiences.

Oasis is beyond huge. As I sat here tonight taking photos of her, I felt like your description - a big floating mall. Not really a mall, I suppose, but certainly not a ship like we've known. I do want to sail her just to see her but I already know she's WAY too big for me. I really don't want to sail with 6,000 other people on a regular basis and feel like I'm in a Las Vegas hotel (I've already seen several reviews that compare her to a Las Vegas experience). I feel about Oasis as I do Las Vegas. Definitely worth seeing but wouldn't want to sail her all the time.

I love Solstice. Still a fair size ship. But very relaxing; great public spaces and food. Very nice cabins (standard balconies could be bigger but the hump balconies are a nice size). We've sailed Solstice three times and never had a problem finding a lounge chair in the sun, but then we didn't need to sit near the pool. The Solstice deck always had available chairs in the sun.

I don't think you made a mistake...it just depends what you want for this particular cruise. I do think Oasis is something to see. But I also enjoy sailing on Solstice... a lot! If you get to cruise on a regular basis (once or twice a year) try them both!

If what you want are nice cabins and lots of loungers, I'd go for HAL, and if you can do a Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL even better (corner afts are fabulous with HUGE wrap balconys). Love them. I'm doing Oasis in May just to experience her, and time will tell, but I'm also thinking maybe too large. I really DON't want the feeling of always sailing "in a mall," one of the reasons I'm doing a D1 on Oasis so I can sit on the balcony and see the ocean. For me, if I wanted an inside balcony I can just stare at my neighbors and never have to leave my condo! LOL!

Archived