KK - Mariner Society - Us, too

sail7seas

I've got about the same amount of days as you...168. I'm wondering what you got before? The me....what I am getting now is far better then I've got in the past...which was a medal and some tiles. I have gone to one VIP party. What did you get before that was so special?

When I was above 100-days but before the implementation of the new Mariner program the benefits I received may not have been tangible but still added "value" to the cruise. To put it simply, the way I was treated made me feel as if I were appreciated as a medallion holder. Yes, I was only in the lowest tier of medallion holders, but I was still part of "the hardware league." I received invitations to various VIP parties -- on especially long cruises, more than one party -- occasional private events with ship's officers (i.e., dinner or drinks with the Hotel Manager, Captain, other officers, etc.). While not quantifiable in terms of $$, it was a feeling of being "important." Perhaps that's silly on my part to feel that way because I was "taken care of," but it was real and it added to the "quality" of my cruise experinece.

I have only been on one cruise since the implementation of the new program, and that was a longish cruise (18 days) with a lot of "whales" (a cruise where my 238 days were paltry by comparison); even though I was a 4-Star Mariner, that status didn't earn me any "honors" or "recognition" other than some of the official (published) benefits. Specifically, being above 200 days didn't earn me any special invites other than a single VIP party with a HUGE number of other mariners (many of whom, I discovered by talking with them, had fewer than 200 days) -- no select-dinners, etc. And, if I hadn't had 200-Day status I certainly wouldn't have been invited to the Mariner's Reception because I know 100-Day medallion holders who were not invited to that reception.

By comparison, this past May during my Alaska cruises aboard the Ryndam and Amsterdam my day-status made me a comparative whale because there were FAR FEWER high-day-count Mariners aboard. I was invited to 2 VIP parties each cruise, dinner with the Hotel Manager and a smaller party with drinks with the captain and a few other senior officers. I suspect that if those with fewer than 200-days were to select itineraries and times where there are large numbers of new cruisers and relatively few high-day-count Mariners, recognition will still probably be good.

Lisa and RevNeal...I've never been invited to or treated "special" because of my 100 day status. When I've gone to the before mariner parties they have had for 100+ members I've been looked at like what are you doing here...and where is your invitation. This last cruise in Oct.09 was the first time I've ever felt valued as a HAL loyalist. I thought that cruise might be my last on HAL because I'd had so many issues with my bookings and on the ships. I feel my last cruise restored my faith in HAL and made me feel valued even though we did have several issues. I applaud HAL and their new program. I'm sorry your experience isn't the same.

Lisa and RevNeal...I've never been invited to or treated "special" because of my 100 day status. When I've gone to the before mariner parties they have had for 100+ members I've been looked at like what are you doing here...and where is your invitation. This last cruise in Oct.09 was the first time I've ever felt valued as a HAL loyalist. I thought that cruise might be my last on HAL because I'd had so many issues with my bookings and on the ships. I feel my last cruise restored my faith in HAL and made me feel valued even though we did have several issues. I applaud HAL and their new program. I'm sorry your experience isn't the same.

As we've long recognized here on CC, people will have different experiences on different cruises. Personally, I have never been treated with the "what are you doing here ... and where is your invitation?" attitude. And I certainly haven't been actually asked that! Even when I was pre-100 Days on HAL and, for whatever reason, received invitations to special events, I was never challenged or treated as if I didn't belong.

I actually expect that Lisa and Tom won't have a bad experience under the new program. It's possible, but if they continue to cruise the nominal 7-day itineraries that they have tended to take in the past (i.e., Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera or Alaska or 7 or 10-day itineraries in the Caribbean), I just don't see it as being likely that they'll not receive the kind of attention they've become used to with 100-Day status. If they take long cruises or cruises with a more exotic itinerary, they might well run into the kind of thing that I saw happening to pre-200 Day medallion holders on the Rotterdam earlier this month (i.e., no Mariner Reception, no invite to a VIP party, etc). But, that's more a factor of the ship's mariner census: with huge numbers of high-day-count mariners, those with lower day-counts -- even among medallion holders -- will tend to be passed over for the attention in favor of the "whales." I am a 4-Star Mariner with 238 days and, while I got to go to the VIP party and the Mariner's Reception prior to the luncheon, that was it ... no other "perks." The other "perks" went to those with 500, 700, or 1000 days.

As we've long recognized here on CC, people will have different experiences on different cruises. Personally, I have never been treated with the "what are you doing here ... and where is your invitation?" attitude. And I certainly haven't been actually asked that! Even when I was pre-100 Days on HAL and, for whatever reason, received invitations to special events, I was never challenged or treated as if I didn't belong.

I actually expect that Lisa and Tom won't have a bad experience under the new program. It's possible, but if they continue to cruise the nominal 7-day itineraries that they have tended to take in the past (i.e., Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera or Alaska or 7 or 10-day itineraries in the Caribbean), I just don't see it as being likely that they'll not receive the kind of attention they've become used to with 100-Day status. If they take long cruises or cruises with a more exotic itinerary, they might well run into the kind of thing that I saw happening to pre-200 Day medallion holders on the Rotterdam earlier this month (i.e., no Mariner Reception, no invite to a VIP party, etc). But, that's more a factor of the ship's mariner census: with huge numbers of high-day-count mariners, those with lower day-counts -- even among medallion holders -- will tend to be passed over for the attention in favor of the "whales." I am a 4-Star Mariner with 238 days and, while I got to go to the VIP party and the Mariner's Reception prior to the luncheon, that was it ... no other "perks." The other "perks" went to those with 500, 700, or 1000 days.

I tend to do the long more exotic cruises myself although I'm doing more affordable cruises in 2010. The one cruise that I was invited to the VIP party was a 10 day Caribbean cruise so that probably explains that. I seriously did get asked for my invite at a before mariner cocktail party. I wasn't pleased.

Greg, Thanks for your kind words :) But unofruntately from what has been reported from those that have just cruised the 7 and 10 day Caribbean cruises they only recognized the 4 Star Mariners.

KK said

On our first recent Zuiderdam cruise only the Four Star holders were invited to a ceremony in the Explorer's Lounge -- there were 13 of us there. One couple did get their 300 day medallions.

On our following Zuiderdam cruise once again only Four Star holders were invited to the Explorer's Lounge. There were 5 of us on this cruise but only 3 of us showed up.

Then Sail wrote

There was no Medallion Ceremony on our Westerdam Cruise. Just prior to Luncheon, Captain and Hotel Manager gave us (and several other people) four star Mariner pins. No Medallions were presented. After we got those pins, the dining room doors were opened and the rest of the Mariners entered and were seated. CD participated in the pin presentation.

So it appears that even if there is just a very small hand full of 4 Star Mariners they will not be inviting the 3 Star Mariners. From everything I have read HAL has changed their focus and will only be recognizing the 4 Star Mariners only. If there are no 4 Star Mariners on board they will just not have a Pre Party before the lunch.

So it appears that even if there is just a very small hand full of 4 Star Mariners they will not be inviting the 3 Star Mariners. From everything I have read HAL has changed their focus and will only be recognizing the 4 Star Mariners only. If there are no 4 Star Mariners on board they will just not have a Pre Party before the lunch.

Lisa, you of all people should know that HAL is inconsistent on these matters and is still trying to settle out what they're going to do for Mariners at different levels. In other words, it may be a bit premature to conclude that what a couple of experiences have indicated is definitely how things will be fleet-wide and on every cruise once HAL figures out what they're doing, and why, and how they'll deal with people at all levels.

On the other hand, you have 39 days to go to 4-Star Status. If you book a suite (as you are apt to do) you could easily be at 4-Star Status with just ONE Hawaii cruise (30 days credit for your suite booking and $2700 in onboard expenses). Hey ... why don't you join mom and I on our Jan 21 cruise????

Lisa, you of all people should know that HAL is inconsistent on these matters and is still trying to settle out what they're going to do for Mariners at different levels. In other words, it may be a bit premature to conclude that what a couple of experiences have indicated is definitely how things will be fleet-wide and on every cruise once HAL figures out what they're doing, and why, and how they'll deal with people at all levels.

On the other hand, you have 39 days to go to 4-Star Status. If you book a suite (as you are apt to do) you could easily be at 4-Star Status with just ONE Hawaii cruise (30 days credit for your suite booking and $2700 in onboard expenses). Hey ... why don't you join mom and I on our Jan 21 cruise????

Oh Greg I wish I could :D But unfortunately my days of Suites are gone for a few years plus I only get one week of paid vacation a year now :o Actually when you leave January 21st I will still be on the Crown Princess ;) I suspect I will at best only get one week at best on HAL for the year of 2010 and if I stay with the current HAL booking I have it is only a Ocean View on the Rotterdam for 7 days. Although I am seriously considering canceling it to go on the Celebrity Eclipse (I can get a Balcony for what I am paying for an Ocean View on the Rotterdam) and thinking I would like to fit in a repo cruise on the Oosterdam in late April if I can get the time off. I could do 4 days on the Oosterdam so not even a full week. I have it figured it will be at least 4 years before we see the 4 Star Mariner status.

When I was above 100-days but before the implementation of the new Mariner program the benefits I received may not have been tangible but still added "value" to the cruise. To put it simply, the way I was treated made me feel as if I were appreciated as a medallion holder. Yes, I was only in the lowest tier of medallion holders, but I was still part of "the hardware league." I received invitations to various VIP parties -- on especially long cruises, more than one party -- occasional private events with ship's officers (i.e., dinner or drinks with the Hotel Manager, Captain, other officers, etc.). While not quantifiable in terms of $$, it was a feeling of being "important." Perhaps that's silly on my part to feel that way because I was "taken care of," but it was real and it added to the "quality" of my cruise experinece.

I have only been on one cruise since the implementation of the new program, and that was a longish cruise (18 days) with a lot of "whales" (a cruise where my 238 days were paltry by comparison); even though I was a 4-Star Mariner, that status didn't earn me any "honors" or "recognition" other than some of the official (published) benefits. Specifically, being above 200 days didn't earn me any special invites other than a single VIP party with a HUGE number of other mariners (many of whom, I discovered by talking with them, had fewer than 200 days) -- no select-dinners, etc. And, if I hadn't had 200-Day status I certainly wouldn't have been invited to the Mariner's Reception because I know 100-Day medallion holders who were not invited to that reception.

By comparison, this past May during my Alaska cruises aboard the Ryndam and Amsterdam my day-status made me a comparative whale because there were FAR FEWER high-day-count Mariners aboard. I was invited to 2 VIP parties each cruise, dinner with the Hotel Manager and a smaller party with drinks with the captain and a few other senior officers. I suspect that if those with fewer than 200-days were to select itineraries and times where there are large numbers of new cruisers and relatively few high-day-count Mariners, recognition will still probably be good.

We have been on a few long cruises -- last year we did a 19 day cruise and we had the highest number of days -- did we get anything special -- NOPE!! Just one invite to a VIP party -- only because we are AMEX Plat card holders.

As I have mentioned we have done several long cruises -- 21 - 23 days and we were among the very few with high days -- and no special anything!!

If it were not for our AMEX Plat status we would not even be invited to the VIP parties.

On our recent 10 day Zuiderdam cruises -- we had the most days on both cruises -- no mention of that. We were treated just like the ordinary 1st time cruiser.

So here we are at 583 days and now our cruises on HAL are just that -- cruises. Nothing special to look forward to except the ports and just being able to cruise.

We did notice on our recent Zuiderdam cruises that the majority of the people who were invited to dine with the captain were those who had very few cruises on HAL. One day we got to talking with a woman who was on her first HAL cruise and all she did was BASH HAL. And guess what -- she was invited to dine with the captain!! AND -- she was also invited to the Mariner's party because of her number of days on Carnival where you continued to BASH HAL -- she was seated at our table.

I am sure that I read somewhere that the days you cruise is the only thing that counts for the Medallions for 300, 500 and 700 days.

I think you may be thinking of this post from Public Relations Manager Sarah at HAL:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21284318&highlight=#post21284318

All~ I just checked on this and would like to correct my previous response on how the medallions will be awarded. It will NOT be based on Cruise Day Credits, but exlusively on total days cruised. :)

Sarah_at_HAL

This is interesting. Why/How is HAL using this type of criteria to determine invitees to parties?

I'm wondering about that too. We are also AmexPlat - but any parties we've been invited to included a lot of people who are not. If a VIP party were one of the AmexPlat cruise benefits, it seems they would surely be advertising it.

I'm wondering about that too. We are also AmexPlat - but any parties we've been invited to included a lot of people who are not. If a VIP party were one of the AmexPlat cruise benefits, it seems they would surely be advertising it.

That is what I was thinking - so passengers would be encouraged to use their Amex cards if they are Plat.

We have been on a few long cruises -- last year we did a 19 day cruise and we had the highest number of days -- did we get anything special -- NOPE!! Just one invite to a VIP party -- only because we are AMEX Plat card holders.

As I have mentioned we have done several long cruises -- 21 - 23 days and we were among the very few with high days -- and no special anything!!

If it were not for our AMEX Plat status we would not even be invited to the VIP parties.

On our recent 10 day Zuiderdam cruises -- we had the most days on both cruises -- no mention of that. We were treated just like the ordinary 1st time cruiser.

So here we are at 583 days and now our cruises on HAL are just that -- cruises. Nothing special to look forward to except the ports and just being able to cruise.

We did notice on our recent Zuiderdam cruises that the majority of the people who were invited to dine with the captain were those who had very few cruises on HAL. One day we got to talking with a woman who was on her first HAL cruise and all she did was BASH HAL. And guess what -- she was invited to dine with the captain!! AND -- she was also invited to the Mariner's party because of her number of days on Carnival where you continued to BASH HAL -- she was seated at our table.

Most fascinating, and also quite surprising. I'm not an AMEX Plat holder and yet I've been invited to plenty of VIP parties. Frankly, if I were in your shoes I would feel entirely disrespected by the Line.

Greg, Thanks for your kind words :) But unofruntately from what has been reported from those that have just cruised the 7 and 10 day Caribbean cruises they only recognized the 4 Star Mariners.

KK said

Then Sail wrote

I think it will be very fast that there will be literally dozens and probably hundred or more four star mariners on almost all cruises. Those in Suites will rack up double days which increases the total quickly. Those who book lots of excursions and spa treatments/big bar bills etc will get lots of days and 200 days really is not all that much when you consider how many Silver, Gold and Platinum (and above) Mariners HAL currently has. It is only early in this new program that being a four star mariner is 'special'. We expect to be joined by many very quickly and that is great IMO That is the point of the new program.

Donna........ This is the first I've ever heard of any connection between AmEx Platinum and VIP party. You well could be correct and I don't mean to imply you are not but I'm surprised if that is the case that in all our cruises (everyone of which were paid for with AmEx Platinum), I never heard this. There are lots of reasons for an invitation to the so-called VIP party and number of days is only one of them.

I'll try to find a way to verify.

Was pleasantly surprised to find the double days posted from our last cruise. We really enjoyed the new Mariner Four Star perks and believe that HAL has done a great job in developing the new program.

My impression from talking to senior staff was that the medallions will continue. They to realize that many people strive to get to the next level of recognition, and the medallions do not cost HAL all that much, so why not.

Most fascinating, and also quite surprising. I'm not an AMEX Plat holder and yet I've been invited to plenty of VIP parties. Frankly, if I were in your shoes I would feel entirely disrespected by the Line.

The old VIP party had nothing to do with Platinum Amex. It was primarily for Suite guests and is now really always known as "before or after dinner drinks with Captain/Hotel Manager". It has been referred to this for years. The "VIP" designation hasn't been used since about 2005.

Surely KK is receiving these invites. We've been getting them for years. I've never met anyone at one of these specific get togethers (lately) that wasn't in a Suite or PS - or at least a 300-day medallion holder. Lisa and Tom have been in Suites many times and I suspect they have received these invites and perhaps when they booked SS or lower they didn't.

The thing some folks here are failing to realize is that HAL is no longer going to offer something in the way of "perks" to any one person that they don't offer to others - especially in light of the forums, posts, internet reviews etc. We've had many discussions with staff and I honestly feel the goal is to provide each and every cruiser who is in a Suite the SAME level of perks, service etc. and to provide each and every Mariner level the SAME amount of service and perks going forward.

The days of "special" are long gone - or at least HAL is attempting to make it so. Unless you know someone of high rank aboard, you will be treated like everyone else in the same cabin category and Marnier classification.

It became 'too much' common knowledge that some weren't getting what others were, unfortunately...

I'm really curious why you would feel "disrespected" by the cruise line? Because of an Amex Platinum invite that was missing? Seriously, I have used that card in the past (when we booked outside quads) and we didn't get an invite. I don't keep it anymore because I cannot justify the annual fee - though I have a Delta Amex Platinum, which I feel offers better perks... I've held one Amex or another for years and can tell you I've never seen anything about VIP parties being a HAL perk for Platinum holders.

Direct from the Platinum Card Website:

Blending some of the world's most desirable destinations with enriching onboard experiences, Holland America Line's elegant ships are renowned for gracious, unobtrusive service, diverse dining choices, and extraordinary amenities such as the Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine®. Relax in spacious, well-appointed staterooms and the expanded Greenhouse Spa & Salon. Broaden your horizons with the Explorations Speaker Series and the Explorations Café, powered by The New York Times.

* Two-category upgrade on outside staterooms or $300 per suite shipboard credit

* Complimentary dinner at the Pinnacle Grill (available first night only)

* Welcome bottle of champagne

* Double Membership Rewards points3

Direct from the Platinum Card Website:

Blending some of the world's most desirable destinations with enriching onboard experiences, Holland America Line's elegant ships are renowned for gracious, unobtrusive service, diverse dining choices, and extraordinary amenities such as the Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine®. Relax in spacious, well-appointed staterooms and the expanded Greenhouse Spa & Salon. Broaden your horizons with the Explorations Speaker Series and the Explorations Café, powered by The New York Times.

* Two-category upgrade on outside staterooms or $300 per suite shipboard credit

* Complimentary dinner at the Pinnacle Grill (available first night only)

* Welcome bottle of champagne

* Double Membership Rewards points3

That's exactly what I thought it was. Thanks for looking it up.

One thing I do wish they'd change is the Pinnacle Grill being limited to the first night, since there is no longer any price advantage to doing that. We usually manage to get ours switched - we REALLY want to meet our dining stewards that first night.

Was pleasantly surprised to find the double days posted from our last cruise. We really enjoyed the new Mariner Four Star perks and believe that HAL has done a great job in developing the new program.

My impression from talking to senior staff was that the medallions will continue. They to realize that many people strive to get to the next level of recognition, and the medallions do not cost HAL all that much, so why not.

The computer may have posted double days AFTER you reached 200 days and became a 4 stars. However, the medallion program for 300, 500, 700 and 1,400 days is for days actually sailed on the ship so before receiving another level of medallions, HAL will verify your real cruise days.

What the computer does automatically (double counting) does not mean it becomes automatically sailed days for the medallions. It would defeat the purpose completely. I guess HAL is still working on their computer program !!! So wait and see, as adjustments will most likely occur soon. Each time medallions are given out, HAL verifies the total sailed days of your cruises and the list is in the system per actual days.

At least, it is how I understand the revised program.

The computer may have posted double days AFTER you reached 200 days and became a 4 stars. However, the medallion program for 300, 500, 700 and 1,400 days is for days actually sailed on the ship so before receiving another level of medallions, HAL will verify your real cruise days.

What the computer does automatically (double counting) does not mean it becomes automatically sailed days for the medallions. It would defeat the purpose completely. I guess HAL is still working on their computer program !!! So wait and see, as adjustments will most likely occur soon. Each time medallions are given out, HAL verifies the total sailed days of your cruises and the list is in the system per actual days.

At least, it is how I understand the revised program.

You get extra credit or "double days" for booking Suites and you also get credit for onboard spending. We got 21 days credit for our recent 7-day cruise (see above post) in the PS.

HAL is continuing the medallion program - for now. The days all count.

What is listed as your days on HAL's site, - those are the days HAL is using.

HAL is continuing the medallion program - for now. The days all count.

What is listed as your days on HAL's site, - those are the days HAL is using.

My Mariner status shows four columns: Cruise days, Suite bonus, Spending bonus, and Total. Are you sure HAL is not using the first column for the medallions?

See: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21284318&highlight=#post21284318

My Mariner status shows four columns: Cruise days, Suite bonus, Spending bonus, and Total. Are you sure HAL is not using the first column for the medallions?

See: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21284318&highlight=#post21284318

I'm not sure, but I heard differently - that it is based on total days. My total days on the website includes the "extra" days. I'm close to 300, so we'll see soon enough.

Not sure what the point of having the 'extra' days included in the total would be. Aren't your extra's included in your total at the bottom?

Archived