Passport and passport card questions

Mlascheid

We are sailing on the Solstice 1/24/10-1/31/10 closed loop R/T from Ft. Lauderdale(San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts) and I have 2 questions:

1. Our passports are due to expire on June 1, 2010....which is only 4 months from date of completion of our cruise. Should we renew before the cruise, or is there still valid time left on the passports for Caribbean travel? I have tried to find the answer to my question on this site, on Celebrity's site, and on the State Dept. site....but I couldn't find the specifics. Any help is much appreciated.

2. We will be taking our 87 year old aunt on the cruise with us and she does not have a passport. I was reading about the new passport card that is available for travel by land and sea between the US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean basin, and Bermuda. It is only $45 vs. the $100 for a passport book. Since she will not be flying overseas anymore, at her age, I was wondering if this is good alternative for her? Anyone have any experience using this type of documentation?

Thanks for any help!

We are sailing on the Solstice 1/24/10-1/31/10 closed loop R/T from Ft. Lauderdale(San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts) and I have 2 questions:

1. Our passports are due to expire on June 1, 2010....which is only 4 months from date of completion of our cruise. Should we renew before the cruise, or is there still valid time left on the passports for Caribbean travel? I have tried to find the answer to my question on this site, on Celebrity's site, and on the State Dept. site....but I couldn't find the specifics. Any help is much appreciated.

2. We will be taking our 87 year old aunt on the cruise with us and she does not have a passport. I was reading about the new passport card that is available for travel by land and sea between the US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean basin, and Bermuda. It is only $45 vs. the $100 for a passport book. Since she will not be flying overseas anymore, at her age, I was wondering if this is good alternative for her? Anyone have any experience using this type of documentation?

Thanks for any help!

To answer your first question, this paragraph is taken from the US Government website:

"9. How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

If you were ____ when the passport was issued then your passport is valid for

Over Age 16 : 10 Years

Age 15 or Younger : 5 Years

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met."

You should be okay for your January Solstice cruise. To be absolutely positive, you may wish to call your local passport office for information.

Passport Card Info:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

We had 5 months and 5 days left on our passport from when we took our last cruise and someone on the cruise boards mentioned that you have to have 6 months or the ship won't allow you on. I checked with Celebrity and was told the same thing "6 months" so we DID get new passports. Celebrity says that if one were to get sick while being away, the passport could expire and you would have problems getting home. They told me it was in their fine print somewhere so you better check with them or better still, get a new passport then you won't have to worry. It took 3 l/2 weeks to get our new ones.

The Passport validity rule is imposed technically by the country of destination and many countries only require 3 months, or less or none at all. However, any travel provider can impose their own requirement, and many choose 6 months as that is the one-size fits all solution.

Since passports are not technically required for your cruise, they also do not have to be valid beyond the dates of your travel as far as the US government (or the destination country) is concerned .... HOWEVER if your cruiseline imposes a stronger requirement, then you have to meet their rules.

As for your aunt, the passport card does not get her anything more than travelling on a certified BC and government ID. If cost is the issue, then don't bother with buying the Passport card. However, if ease of travel in an emergency is the issue, then get her the full passport. BTW, given her age, make certain that her BC is a certified copy of the government issued BC. Not a birth record from the hospital, or some other unofficial record. If the copy was issued many years ago, she might be better off getting herself a more recent certified copy whether or not she chooses to apply for a passport.

Your current passport is fine for the ports you mentioned.

I used my passport with 5 months validity for Europe over the summer. The requirement for most European countries is 3 months. Celebrity recommends 6 months -- but does not require it.

I also just completed a 4 night cruise on the Equinox with a stop in Mexico and my current passport with 2 months validity was fine. I am about to renew now.

My DW passport will expire approximately six (6) weeks after we return from a Caribbean cruise in April, which will originate and end in FLL.

I checked with the passport center and with Celebrity and they said she would be fine. We are planning to renew after we return.

Since we got time I just may renew now.

Bob

Thanks, again, for all of the replies. I appreciate the input. I called the passport center and Celebrity today, and they both said that as long as the passport is valid during my dates of travel, to the islands indicated, that I would have no problem. There is no 3 or 6 month requirement that the passport be valid past the dates of travel( to St. Maarten or St. Kitts). The only requirement stated is that it be a VALID passport. So, that problem is solved.

As for my aunt, she has decided to just go ahead and get the passport book(instead of the card), and put her mind at ease.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

I suggest a passport after a bad experience two weeks ago. I also did a cruise from US port to US port, but had to get off the ship due to an unanticipated medical emergency. I then stayed for for a few days before flying home. I needed to passport to fly even though I had no plans to fly. For $ 50 extra dollars, get the passport.

I would worry too, about being stuck somewhere in an emergency with only a passport card; since you cannot use it to fly.

Another point about birth certificates... On one cruise before I got a passport I had a certified copy of my BC and my drivers license. Well the last names did not match because --of course-- my drivers license has my married surname. Because I did not have a copy of my marriage license it took me longer to get checked in and on board and they ended up adding my maiden name to my cruise docs. IF you are going to take the birth certificate you may want to pack yet one more piece of paper...just in case. Many folks have NEVER had this some up, but it sure made me very very nervous for awhile. I am glad to have my passport now!

Have a wonderful cruise

Archived