Bodrum Turkey gulet cruise

We Will be on the Seabourn Odessey this October. Stopping in Bodrum. I Have done a search on this thread about this topic with my questions not answered. Also posted on the Seabourn thread.

What I want to know is: I know Seabourn has a excursion for 99$/pp for a 1/2 day cruise on a gulet. It limits the guests. Sounds really nice. But I have heard of people just walking off the ship and renting a gulet for the day on there own. I just want to here from people who have done both. Do not want to spend much more then 300$ for this due to other private tours I have booked.

I like the idea of really private gulet, just the 2 of us enjoying the views. But also like the planned excursion. My s.o is a bit up tight while taveling, does not like suprises, so if it is difficult to rent a boat on own may not be our best choice. Just looking for people who have down both and how they felt about their expirience. Any cruise line exprience would be helpful

We Will be on the Seabourn Odessey this October. Stopping in Bodrum. I Have done a search on this thread about this topic with my questions not answered. Also posted on the Seabourn thread.

What I want to know is: I know Seabourn has a excursion for 99$/pp for a 1/2 day cruise on a gulet. It limits the guests. Sounds really nice. But I have heard of people just walking off the ship and renting a gulet for the day on there own. I just want to here from people who have done both. Do not want to spend much more then 300$ for this due to other private tours I have booked. I like the idea of really private gulet, just the 2 of us enjoying the views. But also like the planned excursion. My s.o is a bit up tight while taveling, does not like suprises, so if it is difficult to rent a boat on own may not be our best choice. Just looking for people who have down both and how they felt about their expirience. Any cruise line exprience would be helpful

We visited Bodrum on the Seabourn Spirit in June 2006. Loved this port and the whole Turkish Coast. We did not do the trip on those small boats, but there are many other great options in this port. Below are some visual examples of why it is so interesting and charming. The St. John Castle is well worth seeing with lots of interesting garden, historic, etc. options. It's a very interesting place with many nice views.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

BodrumCastle.jpg

CastleShip.jpg

Harbor.jpg

MainCityView.jpg

MintTower.jpg

Ruins.jpg

We were just there in November. We saw many, many gulets etc. along the waterfront advertising that they were available for rent.

Bodrum itself is beautiful. The castle and associated marine archaeology museum are well worth seeing. We also say the ruins of the Mausoleum and the ampitheatre and enjoyed strolling around the town.

Bodrum itself is beautiful. The castle and associated marine archaeology museum are well worth seeing. We also say the ruins of the Mausoleum and the ampitheatre and enjoyed strolling around the town.

Agree with Maryann! The last picture shown above is from the ruins of the Mausoleum. Nice and interesting history there. The way the marine archaeology museum ties in with the castle and its gardens is exceptionally nice. And as noted, walking around there is very enjoyable with its harbor, the boats, surrounding hills, etc. Bodrum is a very "in" resort with nice options to see and experience.

Agree with Maryann! The last picture shown above is from the ruins of the Mausoleum. Nice and interesting history there. The way the marine archaeology museum ties in with the castle and its gardens is exceptionally nice. And as noted, walking around there is very enjoyable with its harbor, the boats, surrounding hills, etc. Bodrum is a very "in" resort with nice options to see and experience.

Hi, Terry, my esteemed neighbor to the north:D, great pictures. Thanks for posting these yummy warm photos as the cold weather finally has descended on us.

I have not yet visited Bodrum, but look forward to a return trip, probably a land trip, just to visit more of Turkey other than Istanbul and Ephesus in the next few years.

I think I will enjoy my time in Bodrum, no matter what what we do. Thank you for sharing the pictures. If I do the cruise ship gulet it is only a half day, then take the other half exploring the castle & museum. Any other thoughts I would love to hear them

I think I will enjoy my time in Bodrum, no matter what what we do. Thank you for sharing the pictures. If I do the cruise ship gulet it is only a half day, then take the other half exploring the castle & museum. Any other thoughts I would love to hear them

It sounds like you would have a good plan with the boat trip in the morning and doing some of the castle/museum in the afternoon. There is the option of the the ruins of the The Mausoleum of Mausolus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Bodrum Castle, built by the Crusaders in the 15th century, overlooks the harbor and marina. The castle grounds includes the Museum of Underwater Archeology, plus gardens and some various exotic birds, etc. In my view, it means that there is probably a wider range of interests covered at Bodrum Castle. It's a personal choice depending on your interests.

There is a shuttle boat which leaves the cruise ship dock on the hour and goes to the area of the castle. It leaves there on the half hour. It is a fairly long walk along the waterfront, but there is so much to see you will not notice that. It is an easy walk uphill to the remains of the mausoleum. Be sure to catch the short video they have there and the model of what the mausoleum looked like.

There is also great shopping in Bodrum.

We loved all five ports we visited in Turkey and are probably going back there and renting a car this coming year. It is a wonderful, clean, friendly and beautiful country - at least the parts we saw.

Archived