Vacations/Time Off for the Crew

GeorgeL

Does anyone know how long the "tour of duty" is for the crew (waiters, waiter assistants, etc.,) and how long is their time "off the ship" before they come back to work again? I know that their work days are very long with few breaks so I know they need a long break in between assignments to recoup their enthusiasm.

Depending on the contract you sign on for - usually 1 month off at the least and about 2 before you can get back on the ships.

You can go back sooner if there is a position that needs emergency filling.

I don't quite get this: "usually one month off at the least and about 2 before you can get back on the ships".

Does that mean that they have a 2 month "vacation" or a 1 month "vacation" before getting back to the ship?

Hi,:) crew? (Waiters, cabin attendants, bartenders, etc.) are about 5/6 months on....2 off.

Thanks so much Lois. It appears that hardworking crew get 2 months off and then "on" again for 6 months. That would make sense as I often wondered how they can remain so cheerful, helpful and competent with the work load they carry. After all, it's the crew that presents the most visible face of any cruise line and I found that the Celebrity crew is better (on any of their ships) than on any of the other cruise lines I have tried.

Thanks so much Lois. It appears that hardworking crew get 2 months off and then "on" again for 6 months. That would make sense as I often wondered how they can remain so cheerful, helpful and competent with the work load they carry. After all, it's the crew that presents the most visible face of any cruise line and I found that the Celebrity crew is better (on any of their ships) than on any of the other cruise lines I have tried.

Hi George:)it is definitely a GIANT part of what keeps me coming back

to Celebrity.

Sailing in January on SUMMIT and can't wait:D....the last time I sailed

her was way back in 2005 and our waiter was fantastic. His name is

Jackviston and he is from Goa, India and even 5 years later I remember

him!

I wonder what the chances are if he is on board now...? Hmmm...that would be something:)

Hi George:)it is definitely a GIANT part of what keeps me coming back

to Celebrity.

Sailing in January on SUMMIT and can't wait:D....the last time I sailed

her was way back in 2005 and our waiter was fantastic. His name is

Jackviston and he is from Goa, India and even 5 years later I remember

him!

I wonder what the chances are if he is on board now...? Hmmm...that would be something:)

I share your sentiments...

It's amazing to me too but I still remember a few of the waiters on Celebrity from way back and some from my most recent cruises. They were so nice that I keep hoping to see them again on a cruise in the near future. Since I have been cruising almost exclusively on Celebrity and have been on all but two of their ships, I have actually run into many familiar faces. Even more amazing is that it is the crew who remember me before I recognize them! They are always so welcoming and nice that indeed they are a big part of the reason why I choose to stay with Celebrity. Of course, there are other reasons :)

These folks work hard to make a living so if one of the staff provides above and beyond service raise that tip a bit and, more importantly, fill out a card for them at guest relations or list them by name in your end of cruise questionaire. No I am not a crew member on an X ship but do return to X because of the service I receive.

I share your sentiments...

It's amazing to me too but I still remember a few of the waiters on Celebrity from way back and some from my most recent cruises. They were so nice that I keep hoping to see them again on a cruise in the near future. Since I have been cruising almost exclusively on Celebrity and have been on all but two of their ships, I have actually run into many familiar faces. Even more amazing is that it is the crew who remember me before I recognize them! They are always so welcoming and nice that indeed they are a big part of the reason why I choose to stay with Celebrity. Of course, there are other reasons :)

Hi George, I just sailed Equinox and I saw quite a few folks (crew)

that I had met on other sailings:D...my waiter on Millennium, which was

back in 2006 is now a Maitr'd.....I didn't realize he was on board

and he saw me first and it was like...OMG...LOL....Jovel!:D

It was so good to see him again.:)

And yes, when you think about how many pax they see every week?

It is quite amazing that they remember folks so well.

I don't quite get this: "usually one month off at the least and about 2 before you can get back on the ships".

Does that mean that they have a 2 month "vacation" or a 1 month "vacation" before getting back to the ship?

2 months off is the usual.

The will allow you back on to fill an emergency off for another person.

In the case of waiters / busboys / housekeeping this would not hold true as they have plenty of them to choose from.

In the case of officer level - cruise staff and others like this - they may make an exception.

Archived