Lisbon hotel rec for future T/Aers

ltsally

Wanted to get this posted before I forget, and so it would turn up in a 'search' feature. We just stayed at the Vincci Baixa in Lisbon, in advance of our crossing on Spirit. Found it very ideal. Moderate price; comfortable room in an excellent location - (two blocks to the big downtown square (it's early-early as I post, and my map is not at hand, but...a fantastic location). http://www.vinccihoteles.com/

Room size typical for Europe, but very well laid out, and brightly lit (especially pleasing after a cavelike Heathrow lodging the night before). Really nice bath (but watch that slippery tile floor!). Dining room was quiet the night we were there, but food was fine and an oh-so-personable waiter really made the evening.

Met another, very frequent SB sailor in the Vincci lobby who echoed our critique and would also stay there again. (And she mentioned an excellent local restaurant on the corner about a block away.) Also - for any Sunday sailaway guests - there's a morning open-air market...exit the hotel to your right, to the corner, cross the street to your left (towards the square/water); one block (or two?) to a stretch of open air artist/merchants to your right (think Santa Fe). Nice things; great prices.

Another note for November crossers - which seemed not all that easy to track down here - but there were two SB crossings within days of each other in 09, and the first (spirit?) encountered quite rough weather for several days and ours (Pride) was rough as well for at least 2 days. (Try the Sea Bands!)

Then, things evened out and the weather became incrementally warmer as we neared Florida....to almost hot (well, 80s). Folks were strolling Deck 7 in their swim suits, swimming (short) laps in the pool and enjoying the hot tub. I find it difficult to switch my mind enough to pack in one season for a different season (just never seems like it's ever going to be THAT warm again), but just a T-shirt or light jacket, in case, for warmer layering. and the rest for warmer weather would be the advice I'd follow next time.

Happy Sails!

We were recently at the Sofitel. Very comfortable and well located.

Also near a good restaurant-Solar des Presuntos. Don't laugh but it had the best spinach we ever had. My wife insisted on getting the recipe which the chef wrote out in Portugese.

The chardonnay from the Duoro was also good. Of course its a fish restauant, and the fish is fresh and well prepared.

We were recently at the Sofitel. Very comfortable and well located.

Also near a good restaurant-Solar des Presuntos. Don't laugh but it had the best spinach we ever had. My wife insisted on getting the recipe which the chef wrote out in Portugese.

The chardonnay from the Duoro was also good. Of course its a fish restauant, and the fish is fresh and well prepared.

Sofitel and Heritage are our favourites. Great service in both and good locations

The Sheraton Lisboa is a great hotel - the accommodations were excellent as were the restaurants. The top floor is their fine dining restaurant and bar which gives you a drop dead view of all of Lisbon. Get a Club floor if you can - their Club Lounge serves great wine, champagne and appetizers at night - all complimentary of course. And last but not least - the Lounge complimentary breakfast included caviar and champagne. It just does not get any better than that!

I may be out of place here, but I'll throw out an alternative anyway. When I did Transatlantic on the Wind Surf in November I stayed at the Tivoli Sintra. I think Sintra, Cascais, or Escodril all make good choices.

Archived