A third Carnival Dream class ship ordered

pseudochicken

I do hope Carnival addresses some of the repeated design concerns of the Dream in the Magic and the next ship.

That said, I think Carnival made a big PR blunder by debuting Dream in New York in the fall. The port wasn't ready for the ship, and the weather on the first few cruises kept everybody stuck inside and primed to complain.

I think the 2 day cruise was a blunder - not enough time for people to fully discover and appreciate the ship and the weather certainly didn't help.

Everybody rushing to see and do everything at the same time could lead to lines. 3000 people can't fit through a door at the same time.

The Lido design is basically unchanged from the Conquest and Splendor ships and I think is fine.

Stations like the Mongolian Wok, Pasta Bar, and Burrito Bar are isolated from the general buffet lines. If 3000 people all want Mongolian at the same time, you stand in line. The food is prepared to order and not sitting out under a heat lamp or on a steam tray. Fresh food takes time.

I think a number of the complaints stem from people's ignorance of how the system works on Carnival and not from design flaws.

There are a couple of real issues and they are working on those.

The Lido design is basically unchanged from the Conquest and Splendor ships...

This is one of the major problems. They added 1000 passengers and didn't add enough public spaces and facilities to handle them. The Dream is basically a Conquest class ship with more passenger decks and no new public facilities. I hope they address this with Magic and any follow-up ships.

It looks like Carnival will be expanding its fleet with the Dream class, as expected:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/3451-12109-new-130000-ton-ship-ordered-for-carnival-cruise-lines-unit-.html

No surprise really. I'd say the biggest surprise is that first new order ship for Carnival post-recession (almost post-recession anyway) is for it's main brand, Carnival Cruise Line.

?

I'd say the biggest surprise is that the same people who bashed the Voyager Class as "too big" when it came out are readily embracing the Dream class, 10 years later. IMO the Dream does not come close the the Voyager which is a 10 Y/O platform.

10 years from now, the same crowd will undoubtedly be embracing Carnival's first 200+ ton vessel - hopefully they'll remember to put a couple extra pools on that class.

This is one of the major problems. They added 1000 passengers and didn't add enough public spaces and facilities to handle them. The Dream is basically a Conquest class ship with more passenger decks and no new public facilities. I hope they address this with Magic and any follow-up ships.

It is less than 1000 passengers and a number of areas were added/enlarged.

The entire Promenade deck is more open and is a real promenade deck - you can walk all the way around. The addition of Lower Dream Street allows you to walk from end to end without having to up or down a deck to bypass the kitchen.

There are more seats in the dining rooms and theaters, etc. etc.

The pools are perhaps smaller, but hardly anyone ever uses them. The waterworks area is huge and there are more slides than on any other Carnival ship. Serenity area is enlarged. The Spa is larger.

It works.

I'd say the biggest surprise is that the same people who bashed the Voyager Class as "too big" when it came out are readily embracing the Dream class, 10 years later. IMO the Dream does not come close the the Voyager which is a 10 Y/O platform.

10 years from now, the same crowd will undoubtedly be embracing Carnival's first 200+ ton vessel - hopefully they'll remember to put a couple extra pools on that class.

You make an excellent point. The Carnival Dream is what, 7000 gross tons less than the Voyager class? The Dream's capacity is 3650 passengers while a Voyager class ship is 3100. The Voyager class ship also has the indoor Promenade street.

I believe that Carnival's product may be better for the Corporations bottom line and shelling out an affordable cruise vacation, but Royal Caribbean definitely has superior capital. The Voyager is 10 years older than the Dream and - this may be subjective - is a superior ship: in terms of passenger-tonnage ratio, facilities, passenger-crew ratio.

But if I were to have stock in RCCL or Carnival Corp, I would definitely choose the latter. I think Royal Caribbean pushes the boundaries a little too much for their own britches.

If Carnival doesn't want to keep them in the brand they could always spin off another brand for the US market.

No they can't..in order to consumate the deal to buy P&O/Princess CCL had to agree to not expand in the market any further...no more buying, no more start ups.

The pools are perhaps smaller, but hardly anyone ever uses them. The waterworks area is huge and there are more slides than on any other Carnival ship. Serenity area is enlarged. The Spa is larger.

It works.

Perhaps..I think crowding is something to expect on these ships now. For the number of passengers added these ships didn't expand all that much.

RCL may have a point with a larger ship..certainly no lack of space and with anything over 2,000 people I want private space.

You make an excellent point. The Carnival Dream is what, 7000 gross tons less than the Voyager class? The Dream's capacity is 3650 passengers while a Voyager class ship is 3100. The Voyager class ship also has the indoor Promenade street.

I wonder, how many GRT are encompassed by the extra deck height of the Royal Promenade in the Voyager and Freedom classes? Without knowing that, it's difficult to mathematically compare crowding on the different classes.

I wonder, how many GRT are encompassed by the extra deck height of the Royal Promenade in the Voyager and Freedom classes? Without knowing that, it's difficult to mathematically compare crowding on the different classes.

I am sure quite a bit but I think that extra deck height goes a long way to making the ship feel roomier and more spacious. So it is well worth it in my opinion. Definitely better than the alternative: more interior cabins = more passengers in now what would be less public space.

• 2 months later...
Well I don't understand why Carnival chooses to pump out the bigger ships if cost is an issue.

Why not expand the Spirit class and make another two of those instead of another Dream class ship?

why should they, when they really should expand the Splendor Class theres one ship or sell it back to the owners it was suppose to be with aka Costa

Personally I like the Fantasy Class ships i luv there design and if you look at the order they retired the Holiday Class then wouldnt the Paradise go then ..... finally the Fantasy but anyway i think they will be around for a while and i think the should bring back the Tropicale for old time sake lol im serious they should XD

It looks like Carnival will be expanding its fleet with the Dream class, as expected:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/3451-12109-new-130000-ton-ship-ordered-for-carnival-cruise-lines-unit-.html

No surprise really. I'd say the biggest surprise is that first new order ship for Carnival post-recession (almost post-recession anyway) is for it's main brand, Carnival Cruise Line.

I KNOW that Carnival Corp. is looking to expand its Princess fleet, so why wouldn't the first new order be for Princess?

You know what this tells me ... Carnival Corp is waiting to order a new build for Princess because they are coming out with a NEW design for Princess. Exciting! This is of course all speculation on my part. Ha ha! :D

Thoughts?

Princess annouinced they are building two new ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1145410

why should they, when they really should expand the Splendor Class theres one ship or sell it back to the owners it was suppose to be with aka Costa

How would they sell it back to its owner. Firstly Carnival Corp. owns Costa so they couldn't sell it. Secondly, they would have to redo the whole interior of the ship to make it look like the other Costa ships.

How would they sell it back to its owner. Firstly Carnival Corp. owns Costa so they couldn't sell it. Secondly, they would have to redo the whole interior of the ship to make it look like the other Costa ships.

I mean ur right about the interior but wat do u mean they cant sell it? :confused::confused:

Archived