Evening Purses for Formal Wear........

sail7seas

S7S, you can order Mary Francis on line at her website. If you type in Mary Francis a few places will come up. They're in the $200 range.

My aunt is named Mary Frances, she was named for her grandmother, my great grandmother, Mary Frances, who was also named for her grandmother Mary Frances. ( born in the 1820's) So I like the name-not sure if I would spend $200 though. I would really have to love the bag to do that. The only time I dress formal, outside of a cruise, is an occasional wedding. But at least that is something I could comfortably afford, not like that $1495 bag, $1495 would pay my fare on a nice cruise. (about the cost for my half for our upcoming 10 Zuiderdam cruise with the added taxes for the Panama Canal) I would rather have the cruise.

I found a purse. :)

I went to our local Syms for some socks for DH and browsed through the small formal department and found a lovely little black satin evening purse.

Rouched along front and back, gold tone clasp, small chain that can be dropped into bag if I don't want to use it so can carry as clutch or over arm.

Perfect. Just the right size, lovely soft, well designed and stitched little purse.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

sail7seas, I'm glad that you finally found a purse. If anyone is still looking, in the past I have seen some nice purses this time of year at Nine West, Ann Taylor, and Banana Republic. The purses in the dept stores tend to be too much of the same old thing, IMO. I have a vintage goldtone and rhinestone purse that goes with every color. It's heavy but it was given to me by someone special and I love it.

I just bought the cutest little bag at White House/ Black Market--It's covered in beading and black feathers!

My question is --how much of a fashion faux pas is it to wear the same cover up and carry the same purse to both formal nights on your cruise?

My dresses are very different-- one blue-- one black/silver grey, but I found the best fur bolero (faux)to wear that goes well over both.I tend to chill easily and I read that the ships' dining rooms are cold!

What does everyone think-- and what do you do? It's my first cruise!

aka...me

I just bought the cutest little bag at White House/ Black Market--It's covered in beading and black feathers!

My question is --how much of a fashion faux pas is it to wear the same cover up and carry the same purse to both formal nights on your cruise?

My dresses are very different-- one blue-- one black/silver grey, but I found the best fur bolero (faux)to wear that goes well over both.I tend to chill easily and I read that the ships' dining rooms are cold!

aka...me

Hi, no worries about using the same purse:) I only bring one bag

for formal nights:)...it is black and always works with whatever

formal outfit I am wearing. So, if your purse goes with both outfits

I say go for it:D

aka...me

You'll be fine with the same cover up and bag.... few people really notice in my experience. I've found that the dining room starts out CHILLY, but does warm up a bit, so I usually take off my wrap part-way through.

Another fun place to look for evening bags is at stores like Plowsharing Crafts or any kind of fair trade event. There are some truly beautiful beaded bags or woven bags from all over the world. Then you know the money you have spent goes directly to help someone to support their family. I have several beaded bags that I love however, on my next cruise I am just taking a plain black satiny bag and adding a different pin each evening to change the look.

St. Louis Sal

I just purchased a small Brighton shoulderbag (blabk with enamel clasp and metal chain strap)on ebay for $27--retail $123. Its all I'll need and I can get my small camera in it.

I hope you purchased it from a person selling their own Brighton and not a "Brighton" seller. Brighton does not sell on Ebay and they do have problems with shoplifters absconding with whole racks of jewelry and charms, sometimes a whole rack of bags, if they can distract the sales personnel.

My current boss was a store manager with Brighton and told me how they would watch store tapes of thieves. They did their best to curtail theft, but criminals like this can be real sneaky!

Archived