Balcony Rooms-how safe?

krtboise

Does anyone know what I can expect in the balcony rooms on Royal Caribbean as far as some sort of lock (or child lock) on the sliding doors? I booked adjoining balcony rooms and am now wondering if I should be nervous about my children (12 & 8) getting on the balcony with out my knowing. This will be our first cruise ever and I thought the two rooms would give us extra space.

I would think that at 12 & 8 yrs old your children would be able to unlock the balcony door, it's not complicated.

If you are that nervous, can you switch one cabin to an inside cabin or one parent sleep in the other balcony cabin with one of the kids.

Perhaps there is some sort of safety lock you can buy to attach up high on the slider door?

Do your kids routinely fall off balconies at home, from your deck? Off the landings where there are steps??

I doubt it!

Just lay down the law...no one on the balcony without a parent! It's nearly impossible to "fall" without making a concerted effort. The railings are quite high. I don't think you need to worry at all.

A balcony will give you much needed extra space, with 4 in one room! Get the balcony, and don't be worried!

I'm pretty fearless with my kids, but I wouldn't book a balcony cabin that they would be in alone. Maybe if it was connecting and I was leaving the door open between the rooms. There are alarms you can buy that would ring if one of them opened the balcony door - at a minimum I'd get one of those.

Best,

Mia

At 12 and 8, they can probably undo the lock better than WE can. You know how much smarter kids are with things like that. ;)

With that being said. I wouldn't book adjoining/connecting balcony cabins with kids that age. Sorry, just wouldn't. As responsible as my oldest is (she's 9). And as much as she had a good head on her shoulders. I just don't see me allowing my two kids in a balcony on their own. Because on their own, I can see my 9 year old staying off the balcony. But throw the little sister in the mix. :eek: TOGETHER, they would be dangerous. ;)

So if you are relying on the "child lock" keeping them off the balcony. It won't. I can guarantee that they WILL be able to open it. Its a simple lock. Meant more to deter a toddler than to keep a tween off the balcony.

Book a balcony with connecting inside. There are some cabins set up like that. You can ask on the Royal Caribbean board which cabins specifically do that.

I think you really have to just look at your specific situation. Will the kids ever be alone in the rooms without you? If so, then you would be correct to worry about what shenanigans might occur. But, if you are always going to be in the rooms then you should be able to keep an eye on where the kids are at all times.

We actually booked adjoining balconies for the Alaskan cruise we took many years ago on Norwegian. On that cruise line you can also open up the divider between balconies, so we had one huge adjoining balcony. The kids slept in their cabin, and we slept in ours, but the door between cabins was always open.

How old were the kids: 2 and 5. HONEST! And we never, for a moment, worried about them escaping onto the balcony because 1) we always had them within our sights and were always in the cabin with them and 2) they followed direction well, even at that young age, and understood "YOU MAY NOT EVER GO OUT ON THE BALCONY ALL BY YOURSELF."

CeleBrat

Yes - the rooms are adjoining so the door between will be open at all times. And, I don't plan on letting them be by themselves in the rooms. They are smart kids and I think the idea of laying down the law is a good one. But I am curious about the rooms that are adjoining but one being a balcony and one an inside? As I said, first time cruiser so I don't know about these things!

Adjoining rooms are side by side. Connecting rooms are side by side with a door between them. I would verify that you booked connecting rooms so that you know you can keep an eye on the kids. On the RCI deckplans, there will be a double arrow between the two cabins if they are connecting.

Voyager class and Freedom class have a couple of sets of balcony cabins that are connected to an inside cabin. On the Voyager class ships, they are on deck 9, all the way aft on either side of the ship. I am not sure what ship you are on, if you post which ship it is, I can look up cabin numbers for you.:)

On Indy, they are also on deck 9. 9696 is connected to 9701 which is an inside. 9396 and 9401 are the other pair. They are the last set of cabins all the way back on each side of the ship.

We have sailed on the Mariner in a corner aft cabin twice. We were in 1688 which is on the back of the ship. We didn't have any issues with sea sickness or feel any additional movement but if you think you are sensitive to movement, midship might be the better choice.

Do what your gut is telling you. If you think your kids will get into trouble if you turn your head for a second, then you might need to put one parent in each cabin for peace of mind. I know my sister sails with her DH and 3 kids and they have split up on every cruise. She stays with her daughter and her hubby stays with their two sons. Yes, it isn't the most romantic thing but they are on a family vacation and they feel safer this way.

Have a great cruise, whatever you choose.:)

• 4 weeks later...
I know my sister sails with her DH and 3 kids and they have split up on every cruise. She stays with her daughter and her hubby stays with their two sons. Yes, it isn't the most romantic thing but they are on a family vacation and they feel safer this way.

Have a great cruise, whatever you choose.:)

I was just thinking the exact same thing...I would have to split up and have 1 parent in each room. And as far as romance goes...just plan on keeping the kids at camp late a couple of the nights! ;):D

If they are, indeed, true connecting cabins, just leave the door open between the cabins. And as others have said, just lay down the law. Instruct them that they are never to be out on the balcony without a parent present. They can't actually "fall" over the balcony. The railing is too high. They'd have to actually climb onto something to get over it, and I doubt that would happen.

Jo-Ann

Archived