Is Bonamine still available?

flyingandcruising

In the U.S., you can buy bonine or dramamine over the counter in Walgreen's, CVS and many other retail stores. In some states, you can buy meclazine over the counter but not in Massachusetts. Meclazine is the active ingredient in Bonine. (Strange as MA permits over the counter for bonine so maybe it is a different strength?)

In the U.S., you can buy bonine or dramamine over the counter in Walgreen's, CVS and many other retail stores. In some states, you can buy meclazine over the counter but not in Massachusetts. Meclazine is the active ingredient in Bonine. (Strange as MA permits over the counter for bonine so maybe it is a different strength?)

I suggest you check that out. Meclizine is just the generic name for Bonine, which is a brand name. The drug is available as other brand names too, such as Antivert.

The federal government decides what medications are permitted to be sold over the counter rather than by prescription, not the individual states.

I suggest you check that out. Meclizine is just the generic name for Bonine, which is a brand name. The drug is available as other brand names too, such as Antivert.

The federal government decides what medications are permitted to be sold over the counter rather than by prescription, not the individual states.

I tried to buy meclazine at WalMart without Rx and they said No. Yet they sell bonine and dramamine with no Rx required. I've never inquired re: Antivert though I have heard of it.

I tried to buy meclazine at WalMart without Rx and they said No. Yet they sell bonine and dramamine with no Rx required. I've never inquired re: Antivert though I have heard of it.

Look at the list of active ingredients on your package of Bonine, if you have one, (I just looked at mine to confirm that I'm not crazy), and you will see that the one and only active ingredient is meclizine!

So, if you've bought Bonine, you've bought meclizine. Why would you ask the pharmacist for it when you can buy it over the counter? If they have prescription-only meclizine it is probably in a high dose that is not intended to treat ordinary motion sickness. You even mentioned the dosage issue as a possibility in your original post, but that doesn't make Bonine anything else but meclizine.

By the way, the original Dramamine is a different medication, dimenhydrinate. The "non-drowsy" version of Dramamine is meclizine, just as Bonine and Antivert are.

Wait a second, I'm confused here-- from what I know, this stuff has been sold over the counter without incident or controversy for DECADES in the U.S.-- do the Canadians know something we don't? Why on earth would it become unavailable there?

It's not banned in Canada, it's just not readily available. Several local chain pharmacies told me that they did not stock it, but that it could be special ordered from their "compounding pharmacies" as meclizine when I inquired about it last May. When we did buy some, we had to have an interview with the pharmacist to determine what we were going to use it for (a cruise!) and it came as gel-caps not tablets. The bottle also had a prescription number although we did not see a doctor. No one had a good explanation as to why it was not available. I assumed that it might be like some of the "cold pills" that are controlled because they can be used to synthesize illegal drugs, but I don't really know.

I buy it by the 100 tablets for about $4.50 I just ordered and recieved 3 bottles about two weeks ago. You can order it online in the US at least without a perscription.

Last time I needed it I had the pharmacy order me the exact same bottle and brand of Meclizine and they charged me $38.00 for ONE 100 tab. bottle.

Bonnie is certainly avalible in all US drug stores, though of course more cost than the method I use.

I order my generic brand through the pharmacy at Target, no prescription required, but they don't keep it in stock so it has to be ordered. I make sure to ask for the chewable tablets and it was a bottle of 100 for $4.80. However, the last time I ordered they weren't sure they could get it anymore, so the next time I order I hope it's still available. Brenda

Look at the list of active ingredients on your package of Bonine, if you have one, (I just looked at mine to confirm that I'm not crazy), and you will see that the one and only active ingredient is meclizine!

So, if you've bought Bonine, you've bought meclizine. Why would you ask the pharmacist for it when you can buy it over the counter? If they have prescription-only meclizine it is probably in a high dose that is not intended to treat ordinary motion sickness. You even mentioned the dosage issue as a possibility in your original post, but that doesn't make Bonine anything else but meclizine.

By the way, the original Dramamine is a different medication, dimenhydrinate. The "non-drowsy" version of Dramamine is meclizine, just as Bonine and Antivert are.

Is this a 'discussion' that all rules, laws and ordinances are logical and reasonable?

I fully understood before your post but somehow I cannot make myself understood. It is the law here.

If you can find a pharmacy in MA that will see meclizine without Rx, please advise the name and address. Have you purchased it in MA without Rx? I asked and as I already posted was told No. They all sell bonine OTC. The reason I tried to purchase it from the Pharmacy is (a) my insurance may have covered the purchase and (b) it may have been a much lower price. For example, folic acid (folate) is sold here OTC as well as by Rx. Insurance pays for Rx but not OTC and the price is better.

This is not a discussion of what should be or why but rather what is.

Is this a 'discussion' that all rules, laws and ordinances are logical and reasonable?

I fully understood before your post but somehow I cannot make myself understood. It is the law here.

If you can find a pharmacy in MA that will see meclizine without Rx, please advise the name and address. Have you purchased it in MA without Rx? I asked and as I already posted was told No. They all sell bonine OTC. The reason I tried to purchase it from the Pharmacy is (a) my insurance may have covered the purchase and (b) it may have been a much lower price. For example, folic acid (folate) is sold here OTC as well as by Rx. Insurance pays for Rx but not OTC and the price is better.

This is not a discussion of what should be or why but rather what is.

The name and address of the pharmacy that sold you the Bonine will answer your question. Meclizine is the only active ingredient in Bonine, so the pharmacy that sold you Bonine sold you nothing other than meclizine HCl 25 mg. Bonine is a brand name...meclizine is the name of the drug in Bonine.

There are many drugs that can be purchased both OTC and by prescription(you named one...folic acid) and all insurance plans I know of only reimburse you for drugs obtained by prescription.

The name and address of the pharmacy that sold you the Bonine will answer your question. Meclizine is the only active ingredient in Bonine, so the pharmacy that sold you Bonine sold you nothing other than meclizine HCl 25 mg. Bonine is a brand name...meclizine is the name of the drug in Bonine.

There are many drugs that can be purchased both OTC and by prescription(you named one...folic acid) and all insurance plans I know of only reimburse you for drugs obtained by prescription.

Obviously you don't know about all insurance plans. Also about 125H accounts.

TO the other poster regarding MA I am from MA and I have ordered meclizine online with no problems. I am now in CA and still no problems.

I have also ordered through pharmacists in both states. Buying generic meclizine.

Obviously you don't know about all insurance plans. Also about 125H accounts.

TO the other poster regarding MA I am from MA and I have ordered meclizine online with no problems. I am now in CA and still no problems.

I have also ordered through pharmacists in both states. Buying generic meclizine.

I did say all insurance plans I know of, so I left open the possibility of others. I am fully aware of flexible health savings accounts, but reimbursements from them are not reimbursements from your insurance per se...they are reimbursements from the separate account that is established for that purpose.

Archived