The World

Lizard©

Cruise ship / floating apartment was on Adelaides Today Tonight.

Very nice looking ship, studio apartments go for around $1/2 a million and 2 bedroom apartments around $4million.

Or you could rent one for $1500.00 a night.There's also 6 bedroom apartments....the best of the best.

How good to be catered to and visit so many different places in the world.

She will be in Adelaide in Jan, first stop is Cairns I think..........

What a wonderful dream...................

Found their website: http://www.aboardtheworld.com/

How would this work if you purchase an apartment?

Would you purchase an apartment and then pay a fee for food / entertainment etc?

I checked this out a year ago or so and thought the purchase price wasn't that ridiculous (if you had the money!) but the ongoing monthly maintenance fee was the killer.

Lotto is the only hope and I think I'd need to win a couple of times!

Stu

Found their website: http://www.aboardtheworld.com/

How would this work if you purchase an apartment?

Would you purchase an apartment and then pay a fee for food / entertainment etc?

I think to understand the concept you have to NOT think cruising.

No "cruise Director", specific entertainment etc - more like a floating condominium.

I believe they have a Body Corporate with a Body Corporate management team and each owner usually caters for themselves [some even have their own chefs] in their apartments.

Just like living in an expensive condo ashore.

On top of their individual apartments they can always come together and socialize in various restaurants and bars around the vessel [for a price] which would possibly have a pianist and maybe a singer or two for light entertainment.

I would imagine all profits from restaurant and bar sales would go back into the body corporate funds.

I also heard that their destinations are decided by a simple majority of owners.

A great concept, but as somebody said you have to be super wealthy to own an apartment and reside on board.

I saw it in Mackay harbour several years ago and it looks a nice vessel - so is worth a look if you get the chance,

Brisvegas on 17th Dec I think

I probably should search this out, but as I recall a typical yearly maintenance cost is in the order of $100k. As said above, it's not the purchase cost that is so much an issue but the ongoing cost.

Oddly, I overheard a few people last week on the train, talking about booking one of the short trips on that ship. She said when she got through that it had been sold out so it's certainly getting some interest.

And 'The World' comes into my town of Batemans Bay (for Canberra and local tours) on 28/29 December. It will be carrying around 300 pax we are told. I am on the local cruiseship planning committee, coordinating the meeters and greeters. On 16 March next year 'Volendam' with about 1400 pax comes to town, I have already posted some info on that roll call. Volendam has two other visits pencilled in for here, in November and December next year, all dependent on the success of the first visit on 16 March. Our Eurobodalla Tourism is really working hard to secure Batemans Bay as a regular cruise stop. It is a tender Port.

I probably should search this out, but as I recall a typical yearly maintenance cost is in the order of $100k. As said above, it's not the purchase cost that is so much an issue but the ongoing cost.

Oddly, I overheard a few people last week on the train, talking about booking one of the short trips on that ship. She said when she got through that it had been sold out so it's certainly getting some interest.

On the show last night it said that a short trip costs $1500 per person per night.

Bit out of my price range, but we can all dream...:)

Archived