Azamara's Big Announcement

editor@cruisecritic

The question about similarities to Oceania got an evasive answer from Bornstein, who noted that the only thing that's similar is the hardware (Oceania has the same style of ships). "That's where it stops," she says.

Well, we'll see.

Still -- she emphasized one difference will be the ship's multi-national passengers and that impact on the ambience.

"Something magical happens when you get this mini-United Nations group on board."

Comment from Larry re Oceania:

"The globe is ¾ water. There’s room for both of us."

What a shame - an underwhelming announcement. :( I understand now why there wasn't much info about this leaked, since there really isn't much to leak.

I agree...I am so dissappointed in this whole announcement:confused:...I do not want to do my own laundry...I am on vacation for crying out loud. and staying in ports longer saves them money and WE have to pay more??? totally confused that they expect us to not see this. I am completely confused by the big news???

My question is: "what is the big announcement???"

Are you concerned about impact on Azamara when you raise fares?

Larry: "Please took a look at the competition. We will offer extraordinary value. We are under-priced. We’re bringing a different skill set to Royal Caribbean that is very wwelcome. We don’t think the the rising fares will hurt us."

Carolyn

As an Azamara guest who is sailing them in Feb I have seen no definitive answer about their Captain's Club (other than the April "Le Club Voyage"--could they have picked a worse name???:p). Will I, as a Celebrity Elite, get the current X elite benefits when I sail on Azamara this Feb?

And when will they publish what the complete info on the new Le Club Voyage (I REALLY HATE TYPING THAT)? Right now their website is in total screwed-up redirect mode. When you type in azamaracruises.com it redirects to azamaraclubcruises.com which redirects to azamaracruises.com and on and on and on. Ask him when that will get fixed. :p

20% increase in fares is unfortunate since the lower fares were what made Azamara attractive to begin with versus Oceania. I would imagine that either people will stay with Oceania and perhaps Azamara cruisers will now look into Oceania given the price point. Wait and see what the prices are.

Will the ships still be a child-friendly haven?

By and large, yes. There are no plans to add facilities and programming.

Bornstein: "December holiday Panama Canal cruise has 20-plus kids, and there will be counselors brought onboard but that's an anomaly."

"Think of this product as a product for couples. It's an adult product"

Just a reminder :) -- Azamara won our "best ships for couples" award this year!

Carolyn

Hi Everyone !

I'm surprised that Azamara would go to so much trouble, when on the surface, not much has changed. Could it be the details will be more interesting ? I was truly hoping for a New Ship, or some other Major News from Azamara. To call these announcements "Major" is curious.

Who is your target demographic?

Bornstein: "Ideal world, household income 300K, 45 – 60 years old. But in the real world we’re going after anyone and everyone"

Glad we could narrow that down :)

Carolyn

If that's their ideal world demographic they just lost these two passengers:confused:

20% increase in fares is unfortunate since the lower fares were what made Azamara attractive to begin with versus Oceania. I would imagine that either people will stay with Oceania and perhaps Azamara cruisers will now look into Oceania given the price point. Wait and see what the prices are.

The real question is, can they fill the ships at that price point. We just saw our Feb cruise drop by almost $1000 per person days after final payment. The ship is nowhere near full. If they can't fill the ships now and they are reducing prices (only in certain states and age groups) then how will they fill them at a higher price.

With X going to bigger ships I really want Azamara to become our new favorite line but I can't see paying that much more. We don't drink that much. Sorry.

Several big announcements, new name, new destination focus, primarily.

Carolyn

I agree...I am so dissappointed in this whole announcement:confused:...I do not want to do my own laundry...I am on vacation for crying out loud. and staying in ports longer saves them money and WE have to pay more??? totally confused that they expect us to not see this. I am completely confused by the big news???

My question is: "what is the big announcement???"

Hi Carolyn !

Any word on if Celebrity Captains Club Members will be Grandfathered in to Le Club Voyage ?

Add me to the list of those who feel this is a poor choice of name for a Loyalty Club.

I have seen no definitive answer about their Captain's Club (other than the April "Le Club Voyage"--could they have picked a worse name???
We're brand new Azamara cruisers with no past pax status or Captains Club membership. But I so agree that Le Club Voyage is just a tad pretentious & kinda tawdry all at once! :p:p

Hi Everyone !

I'm surprised that Azamara would go to so much trouble, when on the surface, not much has changed. Could it be the details will be more interesting ? I was truly hoping for a New Ship, or some other Major News from Azamara. To call these announcements "Major" is curious.

Yes, Andy, you are correct. It does seem to be a lot of "hoopla" about very little change. I am staying objective and hoping my May cruises will be more interesting as far as the details. And a trained butler? Will he rub my feet after a long day in port???:D...makes me think of Mr Deeds. I am thinking my household salary is below their demographic...sorry to hear that too. I wait in anticipation. The changes should be in swing by the time we hit the seas.

We're brand new Azamara cruisers with no past pax status or Captains Club membership. But I so agree that Le Club Voyage is just a tad pretentious & kinda tawdry all at once! :p:p

Just imagine that Inspector Clouseau is saying, Le Club Voyage. That's good for a laugh. Anything that's Le just sounds beyond pretentious and begs derision. Can you imagine being "Elite in Le Club Voyage." Say that with a French accent and try to keep a straight face. :p

Hard to follow all this chopped up thread on perks etc,,,sound more like Oceania than different

Time will tell

If their ideal demographic is 300K that leave a lot of past passengers out :eek:

I think you have been paying too much for your rolls of quarters!

I was guessing...

I haven't paid for laundry in a very long time...

So, really I have no clue

I get it free when I sail on Princess, which is my primary cruise line

but since I love the Pacific, Royal, and Ocean...

AZ did get my attention and we are now booked for 24 days

Archived