Taste of Key West or Conch Train/Trolley

primetimegirl

We are snorkeling in the afternoon and want to do a tour to see Key West. I am wondering which tour, the Taste of Key West, or the conch train or trolley. Is it the train or trolley that you can get off and on, at the stops you want to see?

I think that if you are able to walk casually around and it's not too hot and humid, the Taste is a lot more fun and interesting than either of the other two alternatives. This short review gives you a good idea why...

"We took the "Taste of Key West" walking tour while on a recent cruise. The guide met us at the dock and provided t-shirts (included in price). We walked through the downtown area of Key West (not strenuous) and stopped at five places for samples of local cuisine. We tried mahi fingers, conch fritters, shrimp, hot sauce, and chocolate covered key lime pie. The guide was great and had alot of information about the areas."

Can't be beat.

Pjk

Thanks, I think we will do the "Taste". The Carnival site says you can not get off the trolly, that it's a non stop tour???

If you book the trolley on your own, you will be allowed off at stops.

The Carnival tour is different for some reason.

Personally, I would recommend the Conch Train Tour as it is a 90 minute overview of the island and afterwards if you want to visit a couple of places that you saw on the tour you will have time.

Anything that you would want to see in old town Key West is less than a 20 min walk.

Mike:)

The Conch train and the trolley are 2 different things. You can only hop on/hop off on the trolley. Easy and cheaper to book yourself either on line or at ticket booth at Mallory Square.

http://www.historictours.com/key west

You can save an additional $3 per person by purchasing ahead on line.

I bought mine yesterday and will be doing this a week from today!

• 3 weeks later...

I would second the golf car tour, though we did the trolley. It was only mildly informative, didn't learn any more than if we had visited wiki before the cruise.

We got off, visited the southern most point, then we walked a few blocks to the hemmingway house. We almost caught the next trolley, 20 minutes apart, but we weren't quite at the stop in time and couldn't catch them.

We ended up getting gelato then taking a cab back to the cruise terminal.

We had a great time, but would do the golf car, or maybe even just the walking tour next time.

I would also consider looking for our own plan, doing a little more research.

I enjoyed the hop on hop off trolley. Found it to be quite informative.

The drivers tell the history with a great deal of humor. Our wait time was about 15 minutes between trolleys. Since we missed coco cay due to weather we had extended time in Key West and did not have to broad the ship till 6:30PM. This gave more then enough time to get off and explore the sites we were interested in.

If I may ask, where did you rent the golf cart from? Are they a popular mode of transportation in Key West?

Actually they are not golf carts but GEM electric vehicles that are street legal.

http://www.gemcar.com/models/details.asp?MID=4&ID=309

You won't have to look for them, people will be trying to rent them to you as you walk off the ship.

If I may ask, where did you rent the golf cart from? Are they a popular mode of transportation in Key West?

Actually they are not golf carts but GEM electric vehicles that are street legal.

You won't have to look for them, people will be trying to rent them to you as you walk off the ship.

Do you know approx. how muh they cost to rent, and is Key West easy to navigate?

Archived