Dream - Cancelling stop in San Juan

Tom-n-Cheryl

Carnival's biggest "mistake" (IMHO) with the Dream was placing miniature Cat 9 cabins on the aft corners rather than a few nice suites. Why they totally ignore the great potential of those spaces is beyond me. That got it right (or very close) with the Spirit Class aft corners, then started losing ground with the Conquest class - and the slide continues... :rolleyes:

The second biggest design flaw has to do with the space at the corner of the back lido buffet. When people are lined up there (as they typically are) it is a tight fit for anyone trying to pass though that space thanks to the juice/ice/water station there.

Other than that - she's a pretty nice ship (except in San Juan)... :D

Tom

Carnival's biggest "mistake" (IMHO) with the Dream was placing miniature Cat 9 cabins on the aft corners rather than a few nice suites. Why they totally ignore the great potential of those spaces is beyond me. That got it right (or very close) with the Spirit Class aft corners, then started losing ground with the Conquest class - and the slide continues... :rolleyes:

The second biggest design flaw has to do with the space at the corner of the back lido buffet. When people are lined up there (as they typically are) it is a tight fit for anyone trying to pass though that space thanks to the juice/ice/water station there.

Tom

Tom, other than as noted above, would love to hear your thoughts regarding your cruise.

Tom

Hey Tom...speaking of those Cat. 9 cabins on the Dream....are you going to be posting any pictures or a review of your cabin? I know there are several of us waiting to hear all about them as CC members return from cruises. The anticipation is killing me :D

Tom, other than as noted above, would love to hear your thoughts regarding your cruise.

Hey Tom...speaking of those Cat. 9 cabins on the Dream....are you going to be posting any pictures or a review of your cabin? I know there are several of us waiting to hear all about them as CC members return from cruises. The anticipation is killing me :D

No official review (just bits and pieces along the way) -- but I will get those photos up.. by at least this weekend. To say I was busy upon my return would be an understatement!

Had a GREAT time -- and going back for more (twice) next year ! :)

Tom

hello cruise friends,

interesting thread, i have to add that here the news and talk has been very negative towards the puerto rican government since according to the press it was the tourism gov. agency the one that ignored the height of the cruise ship when it was scheduled and expected by them to arrive that day at that time of the day. The press article (1) reads ' Puertos no penso en los salvavidas del crucero' (the port authority did not think about the lifeboat attached to the cruise) Another press report from another puerto rican daily tells about the amout of revenue lost for the historic district and the fiasco puts a big shadow on the reputation of san juan as a modern port when there is a big need for cruise tourism revenue right now, while the gov. admits some mistakes (3). there was also talk about people getting fired because of this debacle.

just wanted to add a pointof view that was missing in the thread,

cheers.

1. http://www.primerahora.com/Xstatic/primerahora/template/content.aspx?se=nota&id=350119

2 http://www.vocero.com/noticia.php?id=36154

3 http://www.primerahora.com/Xstatic/primerahora/template/content.aspx?se=nota&id=350462

Hey Vicki, I had a great time in San Juan as well, you should see my necklace.:p

I had a fabulous time in San Juan--good friends, good food, good shopping and a great massage. ;)

Smoof, trust me on this....you had a splendiferous time in San Juan!!!:eek:

I'm pretty sure we had to bail Freddy out of the PR slammer...just sayin'

During John and Todd's show, which was broadcast in our staterooms, there was considerable discussion over the ship's inability to dock at San Juan. John explained that in preparation for docking at all ports, the captains undergo rigorous practice on a million-dollar simulator machine. As I understand it, the dock's dimensions, as well as the ship's dimensions and the structures on the dock were all programmed into the simulator as part of a detailed process to plan for the docking and everything in the preliminary planning looked good. Unfortunately, the supporting steel cables on that canopy structure were NOT included on the simulator. As we approached the pier, the Captain (thankfully) noticed that the protruding cables were situated in a manner that they would have likely caused extensive damage to several lifeboats.

John further explained that IF our lifeboats had been damaged, our cruise would have been immediately halted (because you cannot sail with inadequate numbers of lifeboats). I, for one, am grateful the Captain noticed the potential problem and opted to skip the port. I can understand and accept the human error that occurred when the cables were not included in the simulator data. Thus, missing San Juan was not a big deal to me; it WOULD have been a big deal to me if they tried to force the ship in, damaged the lifeboats, and ended our cruise. Kudos to the captain and Carnival for recognizing the problem and handling it as best they could under VERY difficult circumstances.

I think John was very gracious when he said Carnival accepts full responsibility. I personally felt he was accepting more blame than he needed to, but he is not the type of person to pass the buck off onto someone else's shoulders. If people, instead of judging and pointing fingers and looking to find something to complain about, would look at this in a reasonable fashion they would understand how a cable could have been inadvertently missed in the planning stages. Yes, it was an unfortunate thing to have happened and I am sorry for those who were looking forward to their day in San Juan, but life is full of glitches. To Carnival's credit, they went into high gear to plan additional activities for our sea day, they made alternate arrangements to get the scheduled comedian on board at our next port so people didn't get shortchanged on the planned entertainment, and they also opened the main dining room to help counter any potential overcrowding on Lido Deck.

I appreciate the efforts they made and despite all the reviews I read prior to my trip, I have to share that I had an AMAZING nine days aboard the Carnival Dream. It was a memorable, fun-filled trip

... and by the way, we had a great day in San Juan!! :D

Inexcusable that Carnival dropped the ball..but the question is what did they do to make up for it? I'm sure John Heald used his gutter, juvenile humor to make the paying passengers forget that CCL screwed up yet again. Lazy ship design and John Heald are the 2 reasons I stay clear of CCL.

Mr. Arison should keep this screw up in mind next time he knocks the competition.

Inexcusable that Carnival dropped the ball..but the question is what did they do to make up for it? I'm sure John Heald used his gutter, juvenile humor to make the paying passengers forget that CCL screwed up yet again. Lazy ship design and John Heald are the 2 reasons I stay clear of CCL.

Mr. Arison should keep this screw up in mind next time he knocks the competition.

If you "stay clear" of CCL, then why are you posting on the Carnival board? Hummmmmm...... Can I get a T........R......O........L.......L......?:rolleyes:

I was on this cruise and out of 14, it was probably the best one yet. People and their attitudes amaze me sometimes.:rolleyes:

Like Smoofdaddy, I was on this cruise. Human error occurs and I for one am glad that the captain did not try to force the ship in as I would not have wanted to go home that day. Yes I was disappointed that I did not get to San Juan but I am happy that my cruise continued for a few more days. I had an incident on the ship on the first day that i could have let ruin my entire cruise but it didnt because stuff happens. People need to stop looking at everything so negatively. I am not saying to look at everything through rose colored glasses but more of the glass half full mentality.

If you "stay clear" of CCL, then why are you posting on the Carnival board? Hummmmmm...... Can I get a T........R......O........L.......L......?:rolleyes:

I was on this cruise and out of 14, it was probably the best one yet. People and their attitudes amaze me sometimes.:rolleyes:

Smoof..... worse than a troll...probably one of those Royal Chumps that were exposed as coming on Carnival boards to belittle the competition.

Makes RCCL look like a tacky, jealous cruise line and makes themselves look like a 3 year old (actually that is probably an insult to 3 years olds... 3 year olds don't know any better)

How embarassing for RCCL......

first they are exposed for having to pay cruisers to say nice things about them and now they have these children making RCCL look like a petty fool....

with "friends" like that...RCCL doesn't need enemies!!

Smoof..... worse than a troll...probably one of those Royal Chumps that were exposed as coming on Carnival boards to belittle the competition.

Makes RCCL look like a tacky, jealous cruise line and makes themselves look like a 3 year old (actually that is probably an insult to 3 years olds... 3 year olds don't know any better)

How embarassing for RCCL......

first they are exposed for having to pay cruisers to say nice things about them and now they have these children making RCCL look like a petty fool....

with "friends" like that...RCCL doesn't need enemies!!

Nail hit squarely on head.

Amazes me that there are some "people" that like to be laughed AT.

Be careful - John Heald is like the messiah on this board.

I had a fabulous time in San Juan--good friends, good food, good shopping and a great massage. ;)

Smoof, trust me on this....you had a splendiferous time in San Juan!!!:eek:

I'm pretty sure we had to bail Freddy out of the PR slammer...just sayin'

I told Freddy to just pay the taxi driver and move on, but it seems he was a little tempermental that day. Must have had too much to drink at the rum factory. :eek: :p

Archived