Dream Just Cancelled San Juan

SCUBA Mark

From what the posters are saying here, the Dream juts out too much to offload it's pax? The much larger RCI Freedom ships were designed so that they can snuggle up against any dock?

The Dream is almost 20% smaller then the Freedom type ship....yet carries 5% more people then the Freedom class. How can the Dream tender anywhere with 4,400 people at full load (and Carnival always sails at 103% capacity, or more.)

Measure three times, cut once. Micky forgot that on this ship.

Sorry to hear that. I suggest you book a cruise on Carnival Dream ASAP and you will quickly get over it. ;)

I'd rather ride the NYC subway in rush hour. Less money, similar crowding.

You do realize that an RCI Freedom Class ship is over 100 feet longer (per Host Mach) and carries fewer people. Have fun on the Dream during the summer with 4,400 of your best buds waiting on line one hour at the buffet for lunch on a sea-day. Per many of the reviews here on CC.

I'd rather ride the NYC subway in rush hour. Less money, similar crowding.

You do realize that an RCI Freedom Class ship is over 100 feet longer (per Host Mach) and carries fewer people. Have fun on the Dream during the summer with 4,400 of your best buds waiting on line one hour at the buffet for lunch on a sea-day. Per many of the reviews here on CC.

I've been on both the NYC subway and Carnival Dream. I'll take the Dream.

I understand Mall of the Seas is sailing half full, so there should be all kinds of passenger space, yet they have to make reservations for shows and many just give up?

One hour, as in 60 minutes? Those New York minutes must be like seconds to the rest of the world.

I understand Mall of the Seas is sailing half full, so there should be all kinds of passenger space, yet they have to make reservations for shows....

Yep. How many seats on the Dream in the main theater? What if 500 more people showed up for a performance then there were seats? Happens all the time on Carnival and Princess. Check the boards.

One hour, as in 60 minutes? Those New York minutes must be like seconds to the rest of the world.

Not my words. Lots of people posting here on CC about this.

Ship is too small for the passenger load. Like most newer Carnival builds, which are stretched Destiny hulls.

Not my words. Lots of people posting here on CC about this.

Ship is too small for the passenger load. Like most newer Carnival builds, which are stretched Destiny hulls.

It's a great ship. You should take the blinders off and try it sometime.

The whiners about the lines were on the 2 day cruise from where? NYC.

Some credible reports should start showing up again when the Blogger's cruise ends.

"Todd the Cruise Director is considering having three performances of some of the shows. The main theatre seats 1,500 people and with two sittings that 3,000 people who can see the shows. However with a count of 4000 this means that 1,000 people cannot see them and for the more popular ones such as Dancin in the Street that is a concern. It is a bit strange though because it is close to the same situation on a Conquest class ship. Last week they had 3,500 guests and their lounge seats 1,300. This means that if every seat was taken on a two sitting basis only 2600 could see the shows leaving 900 not able to see them. However, the shows, while well attended and by the way they are great shows……………were not as busy as the ones on your Carnival Dream. I suggested to Todd that maybe with the audience mostly from New York and therefore being “show people “that this may account for why both performances have been extra busy. There is also the fact that the weather outside during the first two nights in and out of New York has not been too good and so people are not outside watching the laser shows and enjoying the big screen movies and features. Anyway, we will have to see what happens when we get down to Port Canaveral and if needed we will go to three shows…………………………..I am though already concerned about when I take over here as Cruise Director, which for sure I will have to show on the big screen live as well."

The cables that act as supports for that ugly Dove structure on the pier in SJ would have damaged a few lifeboats based on position of the lifeboats on the dream. That is what caused the ship to not be able to dock. IMHO, give me $20 to miss SJ and I will be happy. Also, this isn't a regular stop for the Dream.

Oh, and if anyone thinks this is just a CCL problem, the Oasis has to dock in Crown Bay in St Thomas because the harbor where the West Indian Co pier is (Havensight), isn't deep enough until the finish the dredging. And since that has stopped, who know when that will be.

I've been on both the NYC subway and Carnival Dream. I'll take the Dream.

I understand Mall of the Seas is sailing half full, so there should be all kinds of passenger space, yet they have to make reservations for shows and many just give up?

A quick glance at the member reviews of the Oasis and the Dream make it pretty clear that the RCI has out performed CCL in the Ship debut department.

I did not see folks saying they could not get tickets to Oasis shows, but I did see several comments that the entertainment was the best at sea.

A quick glance at the member reviews of the Oasis and the Dream make it pretty clear that the RCI has out performed CCL in the Ship debut department.

I did not see folks saying they could not get tickets to Oasis shows, but I did see several comments that the entertainment was the best at sea.

Whenever Royal launches a new class of ship, it always sails partially booked for the first few cruises, to work the kinks out of the new design. Do you buy a new car with a top speed of 130 mph and drive out of the dealership onto a nearby highway and blast along at 120 mph or wait a 1,000 miles or so before opening it up?

BTW we have been on 4 Carnival cruises in the last 10 years (Fascination, Festivale, Legend and Victory) and we have always found them more crowded then Royal, Princess, =X= or HAL. And the Dream has a poorer space ratio then these ships. So we will not be dreaming.

Whenever Royal launches a new class of ship, it always sails partially booked for the first few cruises, to work the kinks out of the new design. Do you buy a new car with a top speed of 130 mph and drive out of the dealership onto a nearby highway and blast along at 120 mph or wait a 1,000 miles or so before opening it up?

Actually, a better analogy would be that only two passengers are allowed in the 4 seats, including the driver.

I also don't think Oasis sailed at 8 knots. :D

But yes, I remember the Freedom went through the same thing.

A number of Broadway shows debut with much fanfare only to quickly fold.

Some people are easily amused - even by Johnny Rockets.

lol hyperbolize much??? :rolleyes:

Me? :D

Going forward with car analogy, you will have to travel 300 miles by car in one day. You have a choice, go with 3 other people in a car, or with 5 other people in a car. You might choose the first, with 3 other people, until you learn that the 3 people vehicle is....a Mini Cooper and the 5 other people is a 3 row Escalade SUV.

Nuff said. And we own a Mini. Fun car.

Me? :D

Going forward with car analogy, you will have to travel 300 miles by car in one day. You have a choice, go with 3 other people in a car, or with 5 other people in a car. You might choose the first, with 3 other people, until you learn that the 3 people vehicle is....a Mini Cooper and the 5 other people is a 3 row Escalade SUV.

Or all, in an Edsel.

Am I the only one that finds it really scary...that Carnival was unaware of the docking in SJ issue?

Don't people make sure something will accommodate their needs before renting/buying? (Your car, your home, the size of your cabin etc.....)

What else are they "unprepared for"? Emergencies.....???

Archived