Happy Dawn Adrift cruiser to Not so happy cruiser to a happy solution

pieshops

Ok I understand the 50% off thing and that you are going to have to pay $700 for the cruise. My question is this. What about the money you are getting back for the Dawn Adrift cruise wont that cover the cost for the new cruise? I thought I read somewhere that Ya’ll will be getting back 75% of $700 so that would be $525pp that should cover the difference. Correct me if I am wrong.

pieshops, I'm hoping that NCL will allow you to apply your whole credit to your upcoming cruise. I also travel with my family and I realize that all of us are treated as individuals for booking purposes (and that's why each of the boys has a Latitudes account), but I still see us as one group and the money for the cruise is coming out of one pocket. I'm sure they ran one charge through on your credit card and not three.

Ok I understand the 50% off thing and that you are going to have to pay $700 for the cruise. My question is this. What about the money you are getting back for the Dawn Adrift cruise wont that cover the cost for the new cruise? I thought I read somewhere that Ya’ll will be getting back 75% of $700 so that would be $525pp that should cover the difference. Correct me if I am wrong.

you are absolutly correct and it will cover it but why should i have to, the offer was 50% off a future cruise based on what you paid for the dawn cruise and 75% refund.

We were on the Dawn cruise that was cancelled. Yesterday NCL told me that we would receive 50% credit off the amount except for the "extra fees". I couldn't seem to get an explanation of what the extra fees were.

In our case we paid approx $678.00 total for our balcony cabin and are getting a $298.00 credit toward another cruise.

There was another letter given out saying that in addition to the 50% credit, air travel penalties up to $150 pp may be reimbursed.

My understanding is that since we drove quite a few hours to Miami and stayed in a hotel the night before the cruise, the hotel cost is our problem.

Our situation wasn't so bad since we're retired and drove down. However, I truly sympathize with the people who were on the Dawn during the power outage and the others who were supposed to be on its next trip if they had flown to Miami, taken time off from work, etc.

you are absolutly correct and it will cover it but why should i have to, the offer was 50% off a future cruise based on what you paid for the dawn cruise and 75% refund.

Okay... I think I've been confused now... So, in addition to the credits of $700 each for you and your wife and $100 for your daughter, you are getting another 75% of that ($1,125) in cash? So even after you spend the $700, you're still going to have $425 in your pocket?

Okay... I think I've been confused now... So, in addition to the credits of $700 each for you and your wife and $100 for your daughter, you are getting another 75% of that ($1,125) in cash? So even after you spend the $700, you're still going to have $425 in your pocket?

That's I thought and got criticized for it, some people will never been happy.

barbgazz and canadiantwosome,

not sure i understand what you mean about me not being happy.

When i went to sleep the night the power went out i said to my wife if they give us 25% back i would be very happy, with that being said i was very happy with the way the whole situation was handled onboard by the crew and officers, and did not complain in any way about anything up until this point.

I did not ask for the 75% refund and the 50% off my next cruise, but of course i am happy to take it and thank NCL for it.

BUT

If they are going to give me 50% off then it should be 50% off, i am not asking for anything more then that, just what they promised.

i do not think you understand what was given 2 us.

1. 50% off based on what you paid for the dawn cruise on your next cruise booked.

2. 75% of the dawn fare after taxes and port charges refunded.

if my 50% off comes to $1500, and i can find a cruise for $1600, why can't i use my credit ? i do not understand your problem with me on this point?

i do not think you understand what was given 2 us.

1. 50% off based on what you paid for the dawn cruise on your next cruise booked.

2. 75% of the dawn fare after taxes and port charges refunded.

if my 50% off comes to $1500, and i can find a cruise for $1600, why can't i use my credit ? i do not understand your problem with me on this point?

I'm just trying to understand the issue. When I add the two together, I get 125%... and if I understand what you've posted about the fares you're looking at on the Spirit, by my calculations you're getting a free cruise plus spending money... Your issue seems to be with the fact that they want to pay people back 50% PER PERSON, not per group... but since they are, in fact, giving you the 50% per person that they promised (no doubt stipulated to be used on ONE future booking), plus enough cash to pay the difference as well as your service charges with a little left over, what I don't understand is what you're complaining about.

If you choose not to book a higher category to use the entire 50% you and your wife are receiving, that's your choice. Based on my new understanding, I think you're being well compensated. Heck, I thought you were being well compensated when I thought you were just getting the 50% cruise credit! With the additional 75%, I really have no idea how you think you're being slighted in any way.

Maybe this solution will work.....

Leave your daughter at home...and your cruise will be for free!

The credit is per person....

Suppose you wanted to sail with your brother? without your wife and daughter....and your portion was $1000.

You could apply your $700 credit to the sailing with your brother...and pay $300 additional. You couldn't add your wife and daughter's credits to you cost...could you?

Suppose you had a third person in the room on the Dawn cruise...not your daughter...but your brother. His credit would apply to his next booking.....not to yours.

It's really simple....except if you want something for nothing.

I'm just trying to understand the issue. When I add the two together, I get 125%...

You can't really add them together. The 75% is a refund from the interrupted cruise and the 50% is a credit toward another cruise. I agree with that NCL should allow them to juggle the money around within one cabin. This is going to cause NCL a PR nightmare if this affects a lot of these people.

PE

I'm just trying to understand the issue. When I add the two together, I get 125%... and if I understand what you've posted about the fares you're looking at on the Spirit, by my calculations you're getting a free cruise plus spending money... Your issue seems to be with the fact that they want to pay people back 50% PER PERSON, not per group... but since they are, in fact, giving you the 50% per person that they promised (no doubt stipulated to be used on ONE future booking), plus enough cash to pay the difference as well as your service charges with a little left over, what I don't understand is what you're complaining about.

If you choose not to book a higher category to use the entire 50% you and your wife are receiving, that's your choice. Based on my new understanding, I think you're being well compensated. Heck, I thought you were being well compensated when I thought you were just getting the 50% cruise credit! With the additional 75%, I really have no idea how you think you're being slighted in any way.

first of all If i am offered 50% credit why should i be happy with 40%, would you, i doubt it.

Secondly the 50% and the 75% are 2 differant issues. They have nothing to do with each other.

Lastly, Lets concentrate on the 50%. i paid x amount for my dawn cruise, i was offered a 50% credit on that amount to be used on my next cruise. My 5 year old daughter did not break open her piggy bank and pay for her cruise, my wife who does not work and takes care of the children did not pay for her fare, i paid for the 3 of us to go on the dawn cruise.

Now i did not ask for the credit, it was given to me by NCL, why should i not be able to use the credit in in any way i want. If my fare was $1000 dollars and my credit is $700 i would have no problem paying the extra, that is not the case.

Maybe this solution will work.....

Leave your daughter at home...and your cruise will be for free!

The credit is per person....

Suppose you wanted to sail with your brother? without your wife and daughter....and your portion was $1000.

You could apply your $700 credit to the sailing with your brother...and pay $300 additional. You couldn't add your wife and daughter's credits to you cost...could you?

Suppose you had a third person in the room on the Dawn cruise...not your daughter...but your brother. His credit would apply to his next booking.....not to yours.

It's really simple....except if you want something for nothing.

are you serious with this post, are you volunteering to come watch my daughter for a week?

Not sure i understand the point about sailing with my brother but i will try and answer, yes if i cruised with my brother in you scenario, i could use my 700 and pay 300, and yes you are right i could not ask for my wifes credit our my daugters to be applied. That is not what i am asking not what the situation is, they are travelling with me and i do want the credit applied?????

as far as the other schenario of a third person being in the cabin that is not my daughter, but my brother, on the dawn, yes his credit would apply to him, not me, but again that was not the case, i was with my wife and daughter and want to cruise again with my wife and daughter, i do not see the comparison.

Lastly, please explain to me how i want something for nothing, again i was given a 50% credit based on fare paid of my dawn cruise for my next cruise booked. I am being given 40%, should i not get the 50%, you would be ok with this?

As i was typing the last post i received a call from MR. Sheehan's office and they told me that they were going to credit the balance to the cabin and give me the full 50% i was entitled to.

I was also told, that this should not have happened, and i was totally right in my asking for my full 50% to be used in any way i deem fit whether that is taking the money off a Owners Suite or booking an inside cabin and basically cruising for free.

So to all the people out there who gave me a real hard time on this, thinking i was trying to get away with something, i guess NCL thinks otherwise and in this case that is the only opinion i really care about.

Thank you all who understood

Pieshops...

I can appreciate your situation. However, dialing back the drama just a bit might help everyone come to an understanding.

Reading through the posts, everyone seems to be giving you the same answer...yet you seem to want to argue for something else.

Let me give it a shot and see if I can explain it.

First...according to your figures,

For the Dawn cruise, you paid 1400 for yourself, 1400 for your wife, and 200 for your daughter.

As a result of the power failure, NCL gave you back 75% of the fare. That would be 1050 for you, 1050 for your wife, and 150 for your daughter.

That is a total of $2,250 in cash that comes back to your family.

Also, as a result of the power failure, NCL gave you credit toward another cruise of 50% of the Dawn fare. That would be 700 for you, 700 for your wife, and 100 for your daughter.

This is a total of $1500 in potential credits that comes back to your family.

Now....and this is the important part....

Bookings on cruise ships are per person. Not per group, family, cabin, etc. It does not matter who earns the money, nor does it matter who pays for the cruise. Any refunds and/or credits belong to the individual passenger booked.

This means two things in your situation.

#1 - As for the 75% ($2,250) that was refunded, even though this is refunded on a per passenger basis, since you most likely paid for your cruise on one credit card, this amount would all be credited back to that card. So you would be able to use, or not use, the money in any way you see fit.

#2 - The 50% credit. There is not a $1500 credit. You have a $700 credit. Your wife has a $700 credit. Your daughter has a $100 credit. Each person has their own. They are not combinable or transferable. In actuality, they are not really a "credit" so much as a discount of up to the stated amount toward your next cruise.

Basically, this means that when you sail with NCL next, they will subtract $700 from your fare. If the remaining fare is $0 or negative, you owe nothing for the fare portion of the cruise.

When your wife next sails with NCL, they will subtract $700 from her fare. If the remaining fare is $0 or negative, she owes nothing for the fare portion of the cruise.

When your daughter next sails with NCL, they will subtract $100 from her fare. If the remaining fare is $0 or negative, she owes nothing for the fare portion of the cruise.

If the remaining fare amount is greater than zero for any individual person, that amount would have to be paid to NCL.

The bottom line is that if you select a cruise where the fare is $500, you will sail for free, but lose $200 in potential savings...you cannot, however, give that $200 to someone else. On the other hand, if you select a cruise where the fare is $800, you only have to pay $100 and you save the entire $700.

I believe the confusion here is a result of your wanting not only your credit, but the credit that belongs to your wife and to your daughter. Unfortunately, that isn't how these things work. The goodwill gesture is something extended to each affected passenger...individually. NOT to the one person who made the payment.

So even if you have to pay, again according to your figures, $700 for the next cruise...don't forget that you have $2,250 that you already spent on the first cruise to use again, so even after you pay the $700 you'll have $1,550 to spend as you see fit. If you then spend the ENTIRE $1,550 you will break even with the money you paid for the Dawn and end up with two cruises for what you expected to pay for one.

Pieshops...

I can appreciate your situation. However, dialing back the drama just a bit might help everyone come to an understanding.

Reading through the posts, everyone seems to be giving you the same answer...yet you seem to want to argue for something else.

For the Dawn cruise, you paid 1400 for yourself, 1400 for your wife, and 200 for your daughter.

As a result of the power failure, NCL gave you back 75% of the fare. That would be 1050 for you, 1050 for your wife, and 150 for your daughter.

Also, as a result of the power failure, NCL gave you credit toward another cruise of 50% of the Dawn fare. That would be 700 for you, 700 for your wife, and 100 for your daughter.

Bookings on cruise ships are per person. Not per group, family, cabin, etc. It does not matter who earns the money, nor does it matter who pays for the cruise. Any refunds and/or credits belong to the individual passenger booked.

#1 - As for the 75% ($2,250) that was refunded, even though this is refunded on a per passenger basis, since you most likely paid for your cruise on one credit card, this amount would all be credited back to that card. So you would be able to use, or not use, the money in any way you see fit.

#2 - The 50% credit. There is not a $1500 credit. You have a $700 credit. Your wife has a $700 credit. Your daughter has a $100 credit. Each person has their own. They are not combinable or transferable. In actuality, they are not really a "credit" so much as a discount of up to the stated amount toward your next cruise.

Basically, this means that when you sail with NCL next, they will subtract $700 from your fare. If the remaining fare is $0 or negative, you owe nothing for the fare portion of the cruise.

When your wife next sails with NCL, they will subtract $700 from her fare. If the remaining fare is $0 or negative, she owes nothing for the fare portion of the cruise.

When your daughter next sails with NCL, they will subtract $100 from her fare. If the remaining fare is $0 or negative, she owes nothing for the fare portion of the cruise.

If the remaining fare amount is greater than zero for any individual person, that amount would have to be paid to NCL.

The bottom line is that if you select a cruise where the fare is $500, you will sail for free, but lose $200 in potential savings...you cannot, however, give that $200 to someone else. On the other hand, if you select a cruise where the fare is $800, you only have to pay $100 and you save the entire $700.

I believe the confusion here is a result of your wanting not only your credit, but the credit that belongs to your wife and to your daughter. Unfortunately, that isn't how these things work. The goodwill gesture is something extended to each affected passenger...individually. NOT to the one person who made the payment.

So even if you have to pay, again according to your figures, $700 for the next cruise...don't forget that you have $2,250 that you already spent on the first cruise to use again, so even after you pay the $700 you'll have $1,550 to spend as you see fit. If you then spend the ENTIRE $1,550 you will break even with the money you paid for the Dawn and end up with two cruises for what you expected to pay for one.

I was typing a response....just like this...when I saw he got the credit.

It's nice than NCL can make exceptions to the rule......

But keep in mind...this company, or any company doesn't really lose the money....they just charge more for the next passenger and/or cruise.

So, Pieshops $200 "credit" will ultimately be someone else's expense.

But keep in mind...this company, or any company doesn't really lose the money....they just charge more for the next passenger and/or cruise.

No it won't. :confused:

NCL will "write it off" to goodwill.

PE

Pieshops...

Actually that is how it should work and will work in the future for any of the Dawn cruisers who were affected by the power outage. This is what i was told by Kevin Sheehan's office 20 minutes ago who is the CEO of NCL.

i was told that the only way to do the credit was individually, but as long as you are cruising with the same people who you were on the dawn with, you can combine them and should be able to as you all paid one fare for the dawn cruise. Again this only applies to people travelling together.

I am not sure why people think i am incorrect or going over the line when the CEO of NCl has told me they were wrong and would correct this issue for anyone booking from the dawn cruise who wants to do what i have done

i will not dignify your ignorance with a response.

As i was typing the last post i received a call from MR. Sheehan's office and they told me that they were going to credit the balance to the cabin and give me the full 50% i was entitled to.

I was also told, that this should not have happened, and i was totally right in my asking for my full 50% to be used in any way i deem fit whether that is taking the money off a Owners Suite or booking an inside cabin and basically cruising for free.

So to all the people out there who gave me a real hard time on this, thinking i was trying to get away with something, i guess NCL thinks otherwise and in this case that is the only opinion i really care about.

Thank you all who understood

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give you a hard time - I really was trying to understand.

To answer your question to me earlier, yes, I would have been quite happy with the 40% (actually 42%) if I CHOSE to book the lower category cabin and have the entire fare covered. If it were me, though, I would have booked a higher category cabin in order to use the entire amount. Knowing that I had the additional $2,250 in cash to cover any additional costs, I actually would have been quite ecstatic about it, and it never would have occurred to me to question how they were distributing the credit. I'm not in any way trying to imply that you were wrong to do so; I'm just telling you how I would have reacted because you asked. (and I would have lost out as a result)

We clearly have different perspectives on this, and that's okay. It's all moot now since NCL has agreed to let you use your credits as you want, and I'm very happy to hear that they are doing so. :)

As I said earlier, I think you're being very well compensated. For the cost of your original fare, you're getting 'most' of the original cruise, a great story to tell for years to come, a free cruise, plus $1,000 or so in spending money (after port fees, taxes, and service charges). Of course, that's not to say you didn't also have to endure a couple of days that weren't so nice, but it still sounds like a pretty good deal to me, as I'm sure you agree now that you're getting the full credit. I hope you enjoy a wonderful - and uneventful - cruise on the Spirit! :)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give you a hard time - I really was trying to understand.

To answer your question to me earlier, yes, I would have been quite happy with the 40% (actually 42%) if I CHOSE to book the lower category cabin and have the entire fare covered. If it were me, though, I would have booked a higher category cabin in order to use the entire amount. Knowing that I had the additional $2,250 in cash to cover any additional costs, I actually would have been quite ecstatic about it, and it never would have occurred to me to question how they were distributing the credit. I'm not in any way trying to imply that you were wrong to do so; I'm just telling you how I would have reacted because you asked. (and I would have lost out as a result)

We clearly have different perspectives on this, and that's okay. It's all moot now since NCL has agreed to let you use your credits as you want, and I'm very happy to hear that they are doing so. :)

As I said earlier, I think you're being very well compensated. For the cost of your original fare, you're getting 'most' of the original cruise, a great story to tell for years to come, a free cruise, plus $1,000 or so in spending money (after port fees, taxes, and service charges). Of course, that's not to say you didn't also have to endure a couple of days that weren't so nice, but it still sounds like a pretty good deal to me, as I'm sure you agree now that you're getting the full credit. I hope you enjoy a wonderful - and uneventful - cruise on the Spirit! :)

Not a problem no hard feeling LOL.

I totally agree i am being well compensated and have said so, like i said i told my wife when we went to sleep before we knew about the compensation package that i would have been happy with 25%, so was very happy withwhat they gave.

Anyway, where in Canada are you from. I am a chef and am going to be working in Whistler and Vancouver for the month of February and part of MArch for the olympics.

i will not dignify your ignorance with a response.

Well...I've been operating 2 successful businesses...for the last 35 years.

Any business owner will tell you...paying an "unforeseen expense" becomes a raise in price. A business that doesn't make money doesn't stay in business.

That's the way it is......

Enjoy your cruise!

As an owner of a succesful business for 25 years, i also know that goodwill and doing right by the customer will get you much more business, it is a well known fact that if something negative happens to someone they will tell 10 people but if something positive happens most people only tell 1.

NCL Did the right thing by their own admission and now has a ton of goodwill with me, i in turn have called my mother and some friends to see if they want to join me on this cruise based on the outcome and they booked suites.

So it seems for a measly $200, NCl has done pretty well.

I will have a great cruise and i hope i down the road never have a customer relations problem with your business as i now know how it would be handled.

Not a problem no hard feeling LOL.

I totally agree i am being well compensated and have said so, like i said i told my wife when we went to sleep before we knew about the compensation package that i would have been happy with 25%, so was very happy withwhat they gave.

Anyway, where in Canada are you from. I am a chef and am going to be working in Whistler and Vancouver for the month of February and part of MArch for the olympics.

I'm in Saskatchewan, where I am enduring -40 temps as I eagerly anticipate being in Miami and on the Sky next week! You'll have a much milder experience in Whistler, I'm sure. :) How exciting that you get to be there for the Olympics! Are you a fan of 'Hell's Kitchen'? This season's winner is going to be in Whistler as well, at the Araxi.

Archived