On-board card theft question

galamars

Do other people steal the card you get to access your room and the such whilst onboard? I wonder this because I am going with one other person. If we go into the pool together, then somebody could steal our cards. Or are these fantastical cards that can withstand chlorine and the such? I suppose also they need to know your room number etc.

Do other people steal the card you get to access your room and the such whilst onboard? I wonder this because I am going with one other person. If we go into the pool together, then somebody could steal our cards. Or are these fantastical cards that can withstand chlorine and the such? I suppose also they need to know your room number etc.

most modern cruise ships have cameras in every corridor. If things get stolen security can see who went into and out of your room. While cruise cabins are not 100% safe they are safer than most other places. Most on board cards can stand getting wet without a problem.

Its not a major issue. If someone wants to get into your room they can always watch while the rooms are being cleaned and many times they are left unattended. But of course most people put their valuables in the cabin's safe.

Most cruise lines will punch a hole in your S&S card and provide you with a complimentary lanyard. This will allow you to be hands-free while swimming or just out and about. This works great with kids, too. I would check with customer service for more info.

I agree with what rednose said. The cards typically do not have passenger names or room numbers. If you see that your card is stolen then report it to the front desk immediately.

Keith

Our DD lost her card about 4 times one cruise. Never had a problem because of it.

We've been on Carnival and HAL. The cards are imprinted with our name, table assignment, folio number and lifeboat information

Yeah, like what everyone said. :D It's really hard..maybe impossible..for someone to know, just from your card, what room you're in. It's much more likely that you'd lose the card, than it get stolen. And if you do lose it, just head to the purser's desk. They'll deactivate the old card and issue you a new one, within minutes, without a problem.

I've found all kinds of cards left in slot machines when the cruiseline has a card-point playing system. I've turned them in at the cage, but the point is, lots of people lose their cards. I'm not saying you are completely safe onboard, but generally, it's not like people are waiting for you to be distracted to make off with your room key on the off chance they can figure out which room you are staying in AND rummage through your cabin to steal things without getting caught.

In addition to the suggested answers you can buy a water wallet and keep your cash credit cards and room card in it on your person when you are swimming. I use these every trip, I usually put stuff in a zip lock bag inside the water proof wallet just as an extra measure but usually don't need it.

I love one of these, perfect for swimming, jogging, ashore activities. Plenty of room for cash and CC and room card. It dries fast too.

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Wrist-Wallet-Arm-Pouch/dp/B000BL367W/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I have used my room card as a book mark when I'm by the pool too. No worries about theft, just loosing it.

<snip> Or are these fantastical cards that can withstand chlorine and the such? <snip>

I always take my card into the pool and hot tub and have never had a problem. Keep it on your person and don't worry.

On our first cruise, my partner lost her card within hours of boarding. Someone probably a staff member found it and took it to the bursar. My partner was able to reclaim it with correct ID provided of course.

Archived