Santorini a great little Island

Dalesman

The island of Santorini is a truly magical place. Fabled to be the site of ancient Atlantis, Santorini sits amid a group of island in the Cyclades. Our Cruise ship edges its way into a caldera – a ring of islands that represents the top of a huge submerged volcano. A small island resides at the very centre of a hub of surrounding islands. All have steep cliffs that fall dramatically into the dark Aegean Sea and some, like Santorini, seem to be topped by snow. On more careful inspection the snow turns out to be small towns and villages that cling precariously to the cliffs.

Our cruise ship anchors in the Caldera and we are shuttled to a newly constructed harbour, which now allows coaches down to the waters edge. Until recent times donkeys took the tourists up a long zigzag track to the top of the cliffs but more of that later.

We had elected to take a tour called blue and white, which calls at the charming village of Oia. Vineyards that cling to the hills and the parched soil surround Oia. The vines are curled into a basket shape aimed at collecting the dew and maximising the last vestiges of moisture to be had on the these remote islands,

The blue and white refers to the roofs of the houses and churches that blend in well with the blue of the sky and the wide expanses of dark blue Aegean Sea.

Having walked through Oia with its bell towers, churches, gardens and olive trees we go on to a vineyard that overlooks the circle of islands. The wine is sweet and potent and there is time to sit and look out over the anchorage where our cruise ship lies. Evidence has been found of a long lost civilisation, buildings have been uncovered to reveal rich paintings that depict a thriving civilisation, destroyed by a cataclysmic eruption. And yet here, unlike at Pompeii, there is no evidence that thousands died. It seems they were forewarned and were able to leave before the volcano destroyed their homes.

After the vineyard we moved on to Fira; here a magnificent cathedral sits a top the steep cliffs surrounded by a maze of alleyways and narrow streets. There are some beautifully crafted jewellery on sale here, you can shop or rest again at a taverna all of which have magnificent views. Donkeys still ply their way up from the ancient harbour, the blue-topped churches cling to the cliffs and life seems permanently to be set to slow.

We rest before undertaking the arduous journey down the cliff and back to the ship. Our confession – we chickened out, foregoing the donkeys in favour of the cable car that returned us once again to our temporary floating home. We will return!

Very nice description, but your second paragraph may be misinterpreted by those who have not yet visited Santorini.

If you are not taking a ship's tours, you will not be permitted to get off there at Athinos, where buses, but not much else is located. You will be tendered into the Fira port where the donkeys, path and cable car can be found.

We rode the donkeys up and it was great fun. You also get a great view on the switch back path on the way up....:)

We are looking forward to doing it again in May when we get back to Santorini on the Crown Princess.

We were there a couple weeks ago and loved it. DH rode the cable car both ways and I rode a donkey both ways. Riding the donkeys with the beautiful view was one of the highlights of my trip! I think the next time I'm there, I'll ride the donkeys up and down and then do it again to quadruple my fun.

We rode the donkeys up and it was great fun. You also get a great view on the switch back path on the way up....:)

We are looking forward to doing it again in May when we get back to Santorini on the Crown Princess.

We've also done the Donkey ride lol. It was quite an interesting experience to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you book a donkey? ;) - is this something done at the shore or does anyone have any suggestions on how to "book"? Also - any idea how much this ride costs per person?

Many thanks!

Danielle

You don't need to book a donkey, they are waiting for you. I can't recall exact prices, but I think the donkeys were pretty close to the same price as taking the cable car.

How do you book a donkey? ;) - is this something done at the shore or does anyone have any suggestions on how to "book"? Also - any idea how much this ride costs per person?

Many thanks!

Danielle

We were there in November. The cable cars cost 4 euro per person each way and the donkeys cost 5 euros per person each way. DH rode the cable cars both ways and I rode a donkey both ways. It was awesome!

You don't book either in advance. When you get off the tender you go to the left to get on a cable car and to the right to get on a donkey. We found out they do not arrive at the same place on top. Luckily I was able to head towards the cable cars at the top and found DH at a cafe drinking coffee.

I had read the donkeys smelled (and made your clothes smell too), but I didn't find that to be the case. We were there at the end of November though, so maybe they smell when it is hot out.

Our ship was the last cruise ship of the season to visit Santorini and we were fortunate to be the only ship there.

Is there a guide that takes you up or does the donkey just follow a path? I took a donkey in Rhodes and they had men that walked the donkeys up the path. It was pretty steep and I don't know how the donkey would do it on there own.

It must be safe as it seems that it is done quiet a bit. Do you see kids on them also or would you not recommend a 12 yr old get on one?

Once up top, what next? Suggestions.

Is there a guide that takes you up or does the donkey just follow a path? I took a donkey in Rhodes and they had men that walked the donkeys up the path. It was pretty steep and I don't know how the donkey would do it on there own.

It must be safe as it seems that it is done quiet a bit. Do you see kids on them also or would you not recommend a 12 yr old get on one?

Once up top, what next? Suggestions.

Most of the time the donkeys just go buy themselves. It is a path with steps and they know the way. They go at their own pace and stop whenever they feel like it. However, sometimes a donkey handler goes up or down with a large group of donkeys and then the donkeys know the boss is with so they have to go at a faster pace.

Our cruise was at the end of November and had very few kids on it, but I think it would be great fun for a 12 year old! You have to realize though that even though you start out at the same time, your donkeys probably will walk at different paces and not stick together. They all end up at the same place at the top. I would not recommend it for a young child.

There is a small town at the top with restaurants and shopping. Once you're up there, there are still a lot of steps. You come out of a cafe or store and may walk up/down a dozen steps, turn the corner and there are more steps. That doesn't affect most people, but DH can't do many steps. He was content to sit at a cafe and drink coffee while I looked around. The view is spectacular! Some people also go sightseeing at the top.

• 2 weeks later...

I had read the donkeys smelled (and made your clothes smell too), but I didn't find that to be the case. We were there at the end of November though, so maybe they smell when it is hot out.

I think you were lucky to be there in November! I assure you the smell from the donkeys was so pungent in August, then even whilst travelling in the cable car we could smell them strongly below. Our cruise director advised us to avoid them and I am soooo glad we did!! Apart from that Santorini was on of the highlights of our cruise. :cool:

Archived