Difference between Royal Caribbean and Carnival

JOHN 57

In my opinion, Princess is closer to Royal Caribbean. Princess takes a lot better care of their crew, and they do everything more professionally than Carnival. They maintain their ships well also, much like Royal Caribbean. That was the one thing about Carnival that was not appealing to me. The ships always seemed on the dirty side, and the effort to fix certain problems was not there. I would recommend princess for sure, though royal caribbean takes the cake for me. I think Royal has got the whole package figured out. They cater to almost everyone, and keep their ships in great shape

Thank you.

I would put them in this order Princess - RCCL - Carnival. Of course RCCL wins the the most innovative company award, but I love how Princess built huge ships, but split them into smaller areas where you don't fill like being in huge mall... especially the pool areas. I found that on RCCL Voyager class adult only pool is beautiful, but imho it's too small for the number of people.

But I did hear from one of the waiters that Princess is in competition wityh RCCL and not with Carnival.

I am shocked at how many people think they are comparable lines.

Borat, I agree with you 100%.

I see a lot of comments that say the lines are more similar than different. In my experience (several cruises on both lines), there has been a big difference between these two lines. The differences were mostly seen in ship designs and passenger behavior. I have absolutely no problem with individual tastes or folks that prefer certain lines but, for me, I have noticed that Carnival tends to attract a more ill-behaved and more obnoxious crowd.

That's my oberservation - flame me if you must.

I agree that RCI is better compared to Princess than CCL.

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in the food on board the Serenade this past Sept. So much so that we're considering Celberity or Holland. Does anyone have opinions on these lines? We been on Celebrity more than a few times, it has been a couple of years.

Rollie

Borat, I agree with you 100%.

I see a lot of comments that say the lines are more similar than different. In my experience (several cruises on both lines), there has been a big difference between these two lines. The differences were mostly seen in ship designs and passenger behavior. I have absolutely no problem with individual tastes or folks that prefer certain lines but, for me, I have noticed that Carnival tends to attract a more ill-behaved and more obnoxious crowd.

That's my oberservation - flame me if you must.

I agree that RCI is better compared to Princess than CCL.

Thank you! Someone who sees it my way. Ship design to me is the biggest difference, which is where Royal KILLS carnival from cleanliness to technological advances. In terms of passenger behavior, it totally depends on the length of cruise and homeport of cruise. When I worked on the ships, my 4 different homeports were Galveston, Mobile, Barbados and Montego Bay..this is after usually sailing from florida while being a passenger. But anyway, thanks for your response.

I have friends working at top resorts that I would love visit. Yo could not pay them to spend a minute past the hour after their shift. Work is a 4 letter word.

After working as a waitress and watching the movie Waiting, just say I would rather not know some of the behind the door happenings:eek:

I understand what youre saying..however in this case it is different because of my past of lots of cruises, and yet in a week and half i am going on another...so i have not been turned off to cruising, just on the lines that do not appeal to me...like i said before i had "limited passenger status" so i was a passenger for much of the day, only for a few hrs was i actually working...so i was able to get a feel for what carnival has to offer from a passenger point of view as well...and being a carnival employee you are able to board any of the other ships in the fleet when docked with them..even their newest and "nicest" ship could not even touch royals newest and "nicest" ships (in my opinion)

I understand what youre saying..however in this case it is different because of my past of lots of cruises, and yet in a week and half i am going on another...so i have not been turned off to cruising, just on the lines that do not appeal to me...like i said before i had "limited passenger status" so i was a passenger for much of the day, only for a few hrs was i actually working...so i was able to get a feel for what carnival has to offer from a passenger point of view as well...and being a carnival employee you are able to board any of the other ships in the fleet when docked with them..even their newest and "nicest" ship could not even touch royals newest and "nicest" ships (in my opinion)

I do not cruise for the ship or even these days the food.

Were there nice people on board and did they dock in interesting places.

Clearly you are more interesting or impress with ships than I will ever be. I have never been on that did not cause we to stop and whisper a prayer of gratitude to be on it;) If I was cruising for the ship, then without a doubt RCCL. That's is not me, and never would be a reason for leaving my sweet home. I like different lines, yes Carnival, to up the chance of a different experience even to the same place. Please write a review and let us all benefit from your vast knowledge. I have been on all thress lines recently and yes, more similar than different...less decor and vibe. Frommers tend to agree with many ouf us...imagine that!

I do not cruise for the ship or even these days the food.

Were there nice people on board and did they dock in interesting places.

Point is, what will work for you won't work for someone else. Unless you are specific to your likes and dislikes, so one can evaluate it. Jamaica (I am a local) doesn't work for everyone but it doesn't mean people are going to stop cruising to the Caribbean. Many people share specific reasons to help others. I haven't read yours which is the only way to determine if what work for you may or may not for someone else. Clearly you are more interesting or impress with ships than I will ever be. I have never been on that did not cause we to stop and whisper a prayer of gratitude to be on it;) If I was cruising for the ship, then without a doubt RCCL. That's is not me, and never would be a reason for leaving my sweet home. I like different lines, yes Carnival, to up the chance of a different experience even to the same place. Please write a review and let us all benefit from your vast knowledge.

lets just sum it up to 2 things i noticed while working onboard.

1) cleanliness and maintenance of carnival ships are far less than Royal Caribbean

2) crew/staff is way less professional on carnival than royal

as far as my own needs that doesnt really apply to those 2 things..dont wanna go around in circles i was just telling my opinion..

lets just sum it up to 2 things i noticed while working onboard.

1) cleanliness and maintenance of carnival ships are far less than Royal Caribbean

2) crew/staff is way less professional on carnival than royal

as far as my own needs that doesnt really apply to those 2 things..dont wanna go around in circles i was just telling my opinion..

Got that!

Cleanliness like beauty is in th eye of the beholder. We have people who are OCD to those who think dirt kills no one unless it falls on top of you, then you are buried in it:eek:

Professional - I don't know how to judge because I have met some really nice people on all lines. You would know better how they are 'suppose' to be but a smile works for me;)

You mentioned the word WORK and we are talking about something else.

This has been an interesting and informative thread in learning the differences between the two companies expressed in conduct and language condusive to a good exchange of information.

Just as I was wondering how long the civil exchange would continue in a good, courteous way my question was answered at Post 40 when someone came goose-stepping into the conversation and tried to hijack the thread with the usual grouchy and inflammatory manner becoming so common and so tiresome. Too bad but I suppose there are those who just lurk and wait to interject with their narrow views.

Before he/she pounces on me I will truthfully identify myself as a non-smoker who believes no one should be sent to Coventry for doing something that is lawful.

I have cruised both lines twice and feel they are comparable. The two RCCL cruises were a few years ago, followed by two recent Carnival cruises, so my memories of the RCCL ships are clouded by time.

We always had Junior suites on RCCL, and had one on Carnival, then a cabin on the Ecstasy. The Junior Suites on RCCL are better laid out than the mini-suite on Triumph. The balcony cabin on Ecstasy was not in line with the other Carnival ships, so no comparison.

RCCL has more bells and whistles in terms of things to do, but Carnival now has the waterworks for the kids. DO you want splash and play, or flow rider??

I distinctly remember being overawed at the beauty of the RCCL ships. Carnival is nice and glitzy, but on RCCL I was always finding something new to look at and admire.

In terms of crew service, the fog incident in Galveston yesterday provided a good contrast between the two Captains and crew. Conquest was kept up to date of what was happening on a regular basis. Every 3 - 4 hours it seems per the posts. Voyager made only one of two announcements from what I could tell. Is this an indication of Carnival treating passengers better?

I will be sailing on each line again some time in the future.

If you're still reading at this point, check out the reviews in my signature. you may find them helpful for comparisons.

I'd also add that we have since done another RCL cruise and found it pretty much as well done as Majesty despite horrendous heat the whole time.

Wife and I rank our experience as RCL, then Princess, then CCL but that's an overview. Each does different things better or not so much. The MAJOR problem with Carnival is their absolute inability to handle more than 5 people at a time and the lines they run right at each other.

Enjoy.

My favorite lines is Celebrity, with Carnival, then Royal, NCL, Disney and Princess last. Being on between 45-50 cruises. I love to cruise, I think the only line I would not cruise again would be Princess. I would say Carnival and Royal are very similar. I like the beds and the food a little more on Carnival. I like the ice skating show and Labadee on Royal.

Dorene

Archived