Driving in California

Fredr

Hello,

Having read several posts from it seems all over the world about not wanting to drive in California, hopefully this thread may be of help to you.

MY DW and I have seen many of the world's major cities including several in England, Scotland Wales and Ireland. We have also spent several days in Sydney Australia, and have visited Canada on many occasions (Toronto, Windsor, Hamilton, Whitehorse, Victoria and Vancouver).

We have been to France and Italy, and Denmark, Hungary and so on. Beijing, Busan, Dalian and Hong Kong and Shanghai. And Buenos Aires and Lima.

Driving is driving. If you can drive in Whitehorse in the Canadian Yukon surely you can drive here. The major freeway in Canada through Surrey and New Westminster connecting the US Border with the Vancouver BC airport is almost the same as the I-5 in the USA.

As for our freeways, yes, they can be congested but many freeways have carpool lanes which allow you to drive on special lanes and usually this will save you some time. You can use non freeways to go just about everywhere you want to go. Our roads are some of the best in the world though not as good as they should be, but no getting stuck in potholes either.

As with travel generally you need to do some planning as to get the best use of your time. This is a very important for Southern California because the distances are greater and public transportation is not as easily accessible and frequent as in Sydney Australia or in Japan. And how much easier it is to arrive at the airport, get the car and off you go. The car rental for an entire day may be less than a shuttle or taxi just from the airport to your hotel.

I read suggestions on what to see and do and it seems that the ONLY places to see are Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. While there is no doubt that you can hava pleasant day seeing these cities there is so much more to see and do in Southern California that it would take me hours to tell you just some of them. You can pay a lot of money and stay in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills and use public transit but in my opinion this is not the best use of your time.

A special note to the Australians and the Canadians.... You can drive here just as surely as you built the railroad tracks across your great countries. So, gather up your courage, get some good maps, and rent cars here.

As for the Brits, hey didn't you build that ferris wheel in London?

I am a Brit who moved to Southern California and lived there for 8 years. (I now live in AZ).

I actually think getting around in CA is easier than in the UK.

There are more motorways/freeways and signposts.

Congestion is bad but not as bad as it is in London.

Public transport makes sense in London but not LA or Orange County.

Yes the driving is on the other size of the road but with all the traffic it is hard to forget which side of the road you are meant to drive on:D

Planning is the issue - avoid rush hour as you will spend hours on the I5 or 405.

Planning is the issue - avoid rush hour as you will spend hours on the I5 or 405.

And the same goes for Rio, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, London, Paris, Phoenix, Chicago, Seattle, NYC, Houston, Dallas or Miami. Rush hour is rush hour, the world around.

A GPS or Google Maps printed out for your destinations before you leave home can be great assets in any strange city. I don't drive anyplace now days without tucking my trusty GPS into my luggage.

Definitely plan out your driving route BEFORE you get on the freeway. Or have a good navigator that the driver will trust. If going on more than one freeway, see if the hotel concierge will give you some idea on which lane is best to be in before the interchange comes up. Sometimes the arrows are misleading: you may think the lane you're in will be the right one for your route, and then discover that the split to the right doesn't include your lane.

IMO, one major source of confusion is how we label our highways. The Ventura freeway could be the 101 (through the Valley) or the 134 (through Burbank). The Hollywood freeway could be the 101 (east Valley into Hollywood), but there's also the 170 which breaks off from the 101 West to travel north through No Hollywood and up to the 5. Again, get a great map from the rental car agency or the Auto Club and study it before you get into the car. GPS is accurate much of the time, but not all the time (when I give directions to my house, I have to emphasize not to consult their GPS as it will direct them to an half mile away...unfortunately, I'll often get a call from someone saying they can't find my house, and I'll chide them for not listening to me).

Another word of advice is to understand that rush hour can be all day in some places and even on the weekends. Don't get discouraged. Again ask the congierge for advice in getting around. He may know of an alternate route for the hour of day you're driving.

As many of you can read from the threads here, that I discourage visitors to LA from taking our so-called public transit. If you're knowledgable abou the city and know the routes, that's one thing (my mother-in-law in blessed memory now would be fearless in hopping on a bus, but then she had moved here in the 50s).

GPS is accurate much of the time' date=' but not all the time (when I give directions to my house, I have to emphasize not to consult their GPS as it will direct them to an half mile away...unfortunately, I'll often get a call from someone saying they can't find my house, and I'll chide them for not listening to me). [/quote']

Yep, GPS will get you where you want to go ALMOST of the time. Not necessarily the 'locals' way. Another problem is the pronunciation of our streets. The voice on the Garmin GPS cannot handle our Spanish/Native street names. La Brea is especially tortured.

... The major freeway in Canada through Surrey and New Westminster connecting the US Border with the Vancouver BC airport is almost the same as the I-5 in the USA....

Actually Hwy 99 from the US Border to Vancouver Airport (and downtown) never enters New Westminster, it crosses the border and passes through White Rock, Surrey, Delta and Richmond before reaching Vancouver. You'd have to detour up Hwy 91 to enter New Westminster.

After living in southern California for many years, I moved to Seattle. I love it here, and it's home now, but I would still FAR prefer to drive in Los Angeles than on the roads up here! In southern California, you can pretty well count on other drivers to claim the right-of-way when it's theirs, to go for any reasonable opening in traffic, and generally to take the most assertive (or aggressive) available option. As long as you learn to expect that, you'll be fine on the roads there.

But in Washington, a lot of the drivers hesitate...and dither...and ignore the rules about who has the right-of-way in a misguided effort to be "nice"...until you finally assume they're not going to make a move, and you start to make yours, and THEN they go! :confused:

I've lived in Washington for over sixteen years now, but I am proud to say I have NOT and never will become a Washington driver! :p Give me predictable aggressive drivers over the try-and-guess-what-I'm-going-to-do-now kind any day!

I agree with the OP about both driving and sightseeing in Southern California. So long as one is both patient and alert, driving in Southern California isn't a bad experience. This is especially true if you are with someone and can occupy the carpool lane as a result. Also, traffic happens.

With regard to sightseeing, I know I have only scratched the surface in my travels to Southern California - which means I should go again sometime (one of these days I will attend a taping of a show at CBS Television City just to say I did, and I want to go to the LA Auto Show :rolleyes:.)

I will say that getting around Southern California on public transit is doable as the result of experiencing the combination of wanting to travel and poverty :eek:. It does, however, require an extensive amount of planning and time (but you also get to do fun stuff like ride on the Pacific Surfliner :cool:.)

Looks like it's time for the old Geography professor to chime in here...

Perhaps a little historical and geographical perspective will help you all understand what's going on here.

First thing to realize is that "LA" is about as large a city in terms of area as you will find anywhere. We are not talking about just the political entity of the City of Los Angeles but the much larger megalopolis--an area that sprawls over several counties--Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside and Orange. A lot of this area most tourists will never get to, but even the areas frequented by tourists include not only parts of Los Angeles proper but also the separately incorporated cities of Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Long Beach, Culver City, the South Bay beach cities--Redondo, Manhattan, Hermosa, Torrance and the many Orange County cities like Anaheim and Newport Beach...and a whole lot more...Since all of these are somewhat contiguous, most tourists really can't tell when they leave one and enter another...

All of these cities really arose as separate cities, then, over the years, grew together...

A long time ago--before the 50s, Los Angeles had one of the most extensive fixed rail systems in the world--the "Big Red Car"...but, back in the 50s, a consortium made up of automobile companies, oil companies and tire companies bought out the Big Red Car and shut it down...

In the 1920s, a novel concept was "invented" in Los Angeles: The Freeway...The world's first freeway--a highway without traffic lights or stop signs, without cross traffic--the Pasadena Freeway--also known as the 110...from Pasadena to Downtown Los Angeles...

Back in the days of cheap gasoline and cheap automobiles, the freeway became the way of connecting all of the then far-flung communities...The influx of population was accommodated with the spread of suburbia and every tract house had a garage, then two-car garages, then three then four...Everyone drives in LA...and, for the most part, everyone has to...Los Angeles was one of the last cities to hop back aboard the concept of "rapid transit"...

Of course, by the time LA realized the need, the problem was almost too hard to control...the costs are high and how do you possibly service such a wide area? Funding also became an issue...You've got to develop something area-wide...and that means dealing with hundreds of cities and several counties--different areas with different governmental bodies...some demanding service, others refusing to let the rail through their communities...many not wanting to contribute to the cost when the rail lines wouldn't directly serve them...So, the process has been slow and painful...and the system is still woefully incomplete.

So, there is a barebones skeleton of a rapid transit rail system...It's not really designed to serve most commuters...and it's certainly not designed for tourists--it doesn't go to the airport or to the Cruise Terminal, it doesn't go to Santa Monica or Disneyland or Beverly Hills...

Now, what about buses, you ask...Well, let's get back to that fragmented political geography...with many cities and counties, there are also many different bus systems--that service limited geographical areas...Some are better than others...the Santa Monica Bus Lines "Blue Buses", for example, are pretty good--if you are staying on the West Side...but even they are really designed for someone other than tourists...

In a town where anyone who is anyone owns a car...or two...or three, the ONLY people who ride the buses are the poor...people with menial jobs and limited income who must get from their homes to their places of employment and who are willing to spend a good deal of time getting from one to the other--transferring lines, stopping at every intersection along the way...Sure, there are SOME express buses that make fewer stops...it works as long as you are following one of those particular routes...Warner Center to Union Station, sure...but few people have that exact commute...and, for a tourist, it's worthless...and, since you might have to make a few changes, you could easily get lost...and with limiting touring time, you are going to spend a lot of time on buses, niot to mention waiting for buses--sometimes in unsavory locations...

So, though it could be done--getting from place to place by bus--few of us rationallly recommend it...try to limit bus trips to the truly local routes--like the "Passport" around Long Beach or the Big Blue bus between Santa Monica and Marina del Rey/Venice...

If you have a specific agenda in mind, you can plan out your stay carefully and avoid the need for transportation...but, if you're looking to visit a wide array of sites from Santa Monica to Hollywood to Burbank to Disneyland, Transportation will likely be an issue...One way to avoid a lot of transportation issues is to stay in an area where you have a lot to do and use a tour company or the HOHO bus to get to the main attractions...but, for the most freedom in getting around, do as the locals--get a car...(taxis, BTW, are EXPENSIVE...and not easy to find as in most major cities--most must be called or pre-arranged)...

Now, having a car does mean you're braving the LA traffic...and, as was said, it really isn't that bad...it's just traffic--same as you have most other large cities--and in some ways, it is better...Los Angeles was built for it...What really is more daunting is directions, getting lost, getting frustrated...IT is true of MOST drivers in ANY city with which they are not familiar...Yes, it helps to plan your routes ahead...and to carry good maps or, better yet, a GPS...

I would recommend to EVERYONE, no matter where they travel, to invest in a GPS...They've gotten very reasonable of late and they are really indispensible...they may have a few quirks, but they'll always find you a way out of whatever mess you're in...

Also, remember, in most parts of LA, just like in NYC, San Francisco, Chicago or most other major cities throughout the world, you are going to have to deal with parking issues--including sizable charges for parking even at most hotels...don't fret over it, it's just part of the deal--in LA, it's the costliest in Downtown, then Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Westwood and other prime centers...but in some more suburban settings, you may even get free parking at the hotel...just keep that in mind...

Good luck...

Since this is a driving in California thread--

Once out of the large cities the major freeways (5, 10, 15, etc) going East and North, ex: to Las Vegas, become two lane highways.

Along every major highway in California are call boxes along the side of the road. The boxes are placed about 1/4 - 1/2 mile apart. They are in place for motorists to use in case of an emergency. They seem to be blue or yellow.

How do we get this thread to be a sticky?

Along every major highway in California are call boxes along the side of the road. The boxes are placed about 1/4 - 1/2 mile apart. They are in place for motorists to use in case of an emergency. They seem to be blue or yellow.

Actually, the Call Boxes are fast disappearing...

As they either get knocked down or go into disrepair, the choice more often than not is to just delete them from the system...

They are becoming another relic from the pre-cell phone age...

Of course they will remain in many places--especially those areas where cell service is questionable...and along most highways, but just a little further apart than before...

But, don't count on them like you once did...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8d/Californiacallbox.jpg/90px-Californiacallbox.jpg

Hello,

Though I have said enough already, just wanted to add somethings for those who might be interested in seeing (you do need an car and do some planning but all are well worth it).

Will Rogers Home and State Park

The Huntington Library and Gardens

A major league baseball game at Dodger Stadium or Angels Stadium. (Angels in particular because the parking is easier, things for the kids, inexpensive, and the baseball more interesting- my opinion)

Richard Nixon Presidential Library (for US History, this is a DO NOT MISS). It is really a first rate museum, his boyhood home and burial place. Like or dislike him he was a major figure in US history.

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library...this is wonderful to visit.

Universal Studios and City Walk (this is a splurge but fun for the kids and especially for those interested in the movies) The land was originally the backlot for Universal Pictures.

Laguna Beach (this is one of the nicest of California's beach cities)

The Petersen Automobile Museum (if you like cars and the older the better)

Travel Town in Griffith Park (if you have children, this is a great place because there is a large collection of steam locomotives that have been restored and the kids get to climb all over them and other things for kids). Also if you are interested in trains this is very nice to see

Griffith Observatory

The main Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles (Our Lady of the Angels) Catholic but really for everyone

Wilshire Boulevard Temple (Jewish)

The University of Judaism (Jewish)

Los Angeles Garment District (Santee Street in downtown Los Angeles)

Fairfax area (Jewish)

Farmers Market and CBS Television City

After living in southern California for many years, I moved to Seattle. I love it here, and it's home now, but I would still FAR prefer to drive in Los Angeles than on the roads up here! In southern California, you can pretty well count on other drivers to claim the right-of-way when it's theirs, to go for any reasonable opening in traffic, and generally to take the most assertive (or aggressive) available option. As long as you learn to expect that, you'll be fine on the roads there.

But in Washington, a lot of the drivers hesitate...and dither...and ignore the rules about who has the right-of-way in a misguided effort to be "nice"...until you finally assume they're not going to make a move, and you start to make yours, and THEN they go! :confused:

I've lived in Washington for over sixteen years now, but I am proud to say I have NOT and never will become a Washington driver! :p Give me predictable aggressive drivers over the try-and-guess-what-I'm-going-to-do-now kind any day!

As another Southern California transplant to Seattle, all I can say is AMEN, BROTHER. You are absolutely correct on all points.

I've lived up here for 19 years, and still much prefer to drive in LA. You know what they're going to do.

Actually, the Call Boxes are fast disappearing...

As they either get knocked down or go into disrepair, the choice more often than not is to just delete them from the system...

They are becoming another relic from the pre-cell phone age...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8d/Californiacallbox.jpg/90px-Californiacallbox.jpg

bummer

Hello,

Though I have said enough already, just wanted to add somethings for those who might be interested in seeing (you do need an car and do some planning but all are well worth it).

Will Rogers Home and State Park

The Huntington Library and Gardens

A major league baseball game at Dodger Stadium or Angels Stadium. (Angels in particular because the parking is easier, things for the kids, inexpensive, and the baseball more interesting- my opinion)

Richard Nixon Presidential Library (for US History, this is a DO NOT MISS). It is really a first rate museum, his boyhood home and burial place. Like or dislike him he was a major figure in US history.

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library...this is wonderful to visit.

Universal Studios and City Walk (this is a splurge but fun for the kids and especially for those interested in the movies) The land was originally the backlot for Universal Pictures.

Laguna Beach (this is one of the nicest of California's beach cities)

The Petersen Automobile Museum (if you like cars and the older the better)

Travel Town in Griffith Park (if you have children, this is a great place because there is a large collection of steam locomotives that have been restored and the kids get to climb all over them and other things for kids). Also if you are interested in trains this is very nice to see

Griffith Observatory

The main Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles (Our Lady of the Angels) Catholic but really for everyone

Wilshire Boulevard Temple (Jewish)

The University of Judaism (Jewish)

Los Angeles Garment District (Santee Street in downtown Los Angeles)

Fairfax area (Jewish)

Farmers Market and CBS Television City

Adding to the list:

Getty Center - even if you aren't into art, the view from the Center is amazing

Venice Beach - Weekends when the weather is warm, all the nuts come out. It's great!

Skirball Cultural Center - dedicated to Jewish culture, they change their exhibits regularly. Saw a great exhibit on Bob Dylan and an interactive Noah's Ark for the kids.

Jewelry District (Hill Street downtown) - Best prices for jewelry. Be sure to haggle!

Aquarium of the Pacific (Long Beach) - lots of fish, my kids like it better than the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Close to Carnival cruise terminal and Queen Mary.

La Brea Tar Pits and Page Museum

UCLA Basketball Game at Pauley Pavillion

Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana

Whale watching out of Redondo Beach - Winter time, when the whales are off Palos Verdes

Born & raised in the San Fernando Valley, what has always baffled me is the fwy direction signs.

If you are going east on the 118 to the 405 you have a choice of Sacramento, or Santa Monica. If you are not from here this would be confusing as Santa Monica is 40 miles south and Sacramento is 400 miles north.

Also depending on where you are the 101 can be an east/west fwy or a north/south fwy. I have had computer directions, that say take the 405 north to the 101 north. how can you go north on both fwys if they intersect.

But I do think its easy to drive here, the traffic gets really heavy but there are alot of people here. Be aware of the drivers around you and keep your eyes on the road not the sights. You can go from 65 to a dead stop in the blink of an eye.

I'm an Aussie and we were were in SF in August. We hired a car and drove down to Monterey for a couple of days. Getting out of the city was the hardest part, but we hired a GPS and were sweet.

The first couple of miles were a bit hairy getting used to lining up the car with the middle of the road (we drive on the left side of the road).

We did a bit of research before we left home and identified the way we wanted to go. We drove down along the coast for the scenic views - it took much longer but its what we wanted to see. Coming back we stuck to the freeway.

There is no better feeling than getting out and about on your own rather than having to rely on other people's schedules

Mochuk,

Thank you for your reply and it is very nice to see that the Aussies still have some tough guys...like Rod Laver, Breaker Morant, and Luc Longley. Good luck in the World Cup but this is Mexico's year. We in California want the USA to win but we'll party hardy if Mexico wins.

Archived