A piece of fashion advice re: whirlpools

elycelynne

Do NOT wear a skirted swimsuit in a whirlpool, hydropool, etc. (anything with jets). You'll end up (as I did) with a giant water balloon billowing under the skirt. How embarrassing as someone looked at me and exclaimed "ooohh, look at her bathing suit"! I guess, like it or not, I'll have to take some kind of tank-style suit the next time I cruise!

Don't make the same mistake!

No biggie for me. I just laugh. It is obvious it is water bubbles/air-no one will think you are shaped weird or anything. To be honest I am more concerned what I look like walking around,than what I look like in the water with water bubbles blowing out my suit. I look better in a skirted suit.

BTW, it happens to men in trunks too. I suppose if your man is in a speedo, not a problem, but we had a big laugh over my hubby's suit doing this. I must say I prefer my hubby's suit doing that,than for him to be wearing a speedo, with his shape he would be laughed at by others a lot harder for wearing the speedo, than the water bubbles bulging out his suit.

I'm sure it's fine, although I am sorry you felt embarrassed. I don't mean to make light of your situation. You could still wear it, yet adjust it next time so that you are "sitting" on the skirt part: just tuck it in under your bottom and between your legs.

I have the cutest suit, even DH loves it. It has a skirt and I love the extra coverage. How did I not buy one sooner?

I'm sure it's fine, although I am sorry you felt embarrassed. I don't mean to make light of your situation. You could still wear it, yet adjust it next time so that you are "sitting" on the skirt part: just tuck it in under your bottom and between your legs.

I have the cutest suit, even DH loves it. It has a skirt and I love the extra coverage. How did I not buy one sooner?

I am also thinking the person that commented, did not mean to embarrass her but share a joke. I ahve sen this happen numerous times, no big deal for sure.

I agree with KS, (although this is off topic and not what the thread is about) the chlorine in the hot tub and pool both destroys suits. That is why I like to hit the clearance sales. I still want a suit that has a good bra in it, I will not wear a cheap suit for that reason, I have no desire to show people how bad my girls are starting to droop. However, I don't want to pay $150 plus and it be ruined in the whirlpool.

I swim often (4 times a week) and always in chlorine/hot water. What you need is a suit that does not have lycra which is what goes with the chlorine. I have had good luck with Speedo Endurance brand. I also like the one piece but fuller coverage (lower on the leg higher over the bust) and the fact that they come in plus sizes online. I have some suits in my regular rotation that are now 3 years old. I usually get them for about $50 online. The Speedo style does not "blow up" in the jetted pool. Rejects because of "blow up " are tankini, boy shorts (both top and bottom blow up) and worst is the dreaded skirt.

If you are worried about walking around find the perfect cover up dress. Mine is a black cotton knit sleeveless with red flower print, mid-calf, and has handy pockets for key, sunscreen, sunglasses. Perfectly comfortable to got to buffet, elevator etc. This is also my "bathrobe" and has even occasionally served as a dress for lunch on shore after snorkling. I'm on the lookout for a new one.

I just don't think a suit that costs $50 would have a good bra in it, unless it is clearance priced. Younger women can get away without a good bra, but not those of us that are older, and it is usually us who want more coverage also. If I still looked like I did at 30 I would be in the bikini.

I'm 62 and more plus size than I would like to be. When I first saw the "racer" style I did not think I could wear it -- would my hips go through the neck. The speedo style has a "strap" across the back that seems to hold things together. My bra size starts with a 4 and ends with a D. I guess I love to swim so much and have so many friends that "look like me" at the pool that I am not so sensitive to it anymore. For way to many years I didn't swim because of my body image. Glad it is ok now even though the body is old as well as big now. Meme

Hope you find something that works for you. By the way LL Bean maryjanes are great for walking on the beach, in the pool and if you don't choose pink :p:p for walking around.

I'm 62 and more plus size than I would like to be. When I first saw the "racer" style I did not think I could wear it -- would my hips go through the neck. The speedo style has a "strap" across the back that seems to hold things together. My bra size starts with a 4 and ends with a D. I guess I love to swim so much and have so many friends that "look like me" at the pool that I am not so sensitive to it anymore. For way to many years I didn't swim because of my body image. Glad it is ok now even though the body is old as well as big now. Meme

Hope you find something that works for you. By the way LL Bean maryjanes are great for walking on the beach, in the pool and if you don't choose pink :p:p for walking around.

Good for you I guess. I don't expect to look like a fashion model for sure, and I am certainly far from slim and trim, but I still want to look as well as I can. I do not like to see women in swim suits with their girls hanging to their navels, especially when I know, in a good suit, this will not happen. I may be old, I may be fat, but my girls will be where they should be when I am in a swim suit.

I would actually be more concerned about getting sick when in the whirlpool than what happens to my swimsuit. When we became ill with noro on our last transatlantic, we believe it had to have been because of the heated, germy water in the hottubs. Oh, and yes. My bathing suits with the skirts do billow out in any pool! DH actually thinks I look better in a suit that is traditionally cut than a longer "swim-dress." Go figure.

Judy, with the cottage cheese thighs

More likely that the noro came from the hand rail into the whirlpool than from the water. Can germs swim? Hoping that my immune system is working well in March -- germs are everywhere and that is one thing people seem to be willing to share. :D

More likely that the noro came from the hand rail into the whirlpool than from the water. Can germs swim? Hoping that my immune system is working well in March -- germs are everywhere and that is one thing people seem to be willing to share. :D

The chlorine is so strong I think it pretty much kills everything. However, some of the threads/posts I have read about "nookie" in those public hot tubs is why I would want to avoid them more than noro-that is just yuk-not worried about the "germs" but the idea of a male's body fluids of that nature being in there is just gross.

The chlorine is so strong I think it pretty much kills everything. However, some of the threads/posts I have read about "nookie" in those public hot tubs is why I would want to avoid them more than noro-that is just yuk-not worried about the "germs" but the idea of a male's body fluids of that nature being in there is just gross.

That's where I had my "balloon-suit" experience. They charge extra for the use of that facility (as opposed to the small poolside hot tubs) and it's fairly large and not private, so I would hope it wouldn't be a breeding ground for anything like that!

That's where I had my "balloon-suit" experience. They charge extra for the use of that facility (as opposed to the small poolside hot tubs) and it's fairly large and not private, so I would hope it wouldn't be a breeding ground for anything like that!

Maybe ,if such action {sex acts}were reported to the crew, we all would be safer in the whirlpools.JY.

Maybe ,if such action {sex acts}were reported to the crew, we all would be safer in the whirlpools.JY.

If I saw that I would report it to an officer. I haven't seen it- I have just read it in threads

one comes to mind is the "balcony club" in floataway- if you read that thread-you will be afraid to touch anything in the elevators also.- if people get drunk enough-they lose their inhibitions-I wonder if that is why they now drain the hot tubs every evening? Some lines do this by 8 pm, other lines by 12 midnight.

Archived