thanks for advice I didn't even know I needed

Cozzette2

In reading someone else's post I saw some negative comments about velvet in the Carribean. I hadn't even thought about it. I will be in the Carribean and Panama Canal, I guess way too hot for velvet, whether real or percieved.

So, thanks ladies, I am rethinking my dinnerwear from velvet to something more colorful and tropical. I saw some great things on line but I think I will whip out the old sewing machine and make a couple of things.

Thanks for helping me when I didn't even know I needed help, Kris

I think you might be mistaken about the original velvet thread. Is was for an Alaskan Cruise in September. The question was whether it would be cool enough to wear velvet in the evening on an Alaskan cruise.

I mentioend it there as a joke, but she could have used the search button and found the numerous threads on this. The great debate of the fashion board, along with no white after labor Day!

Frankly, I consider those rules no longer applicable, however, I do feel a person has to go by their body, and how their body reacts. I can't wear velvet unless it is really cold, under 45, (we call that cold in the south) I tend to get hot easily, but my daughter who is much thinner, and is not post menopausal, has worn both velvet camisoles and shrugs on Caribbean cruises. She was fine.

I do get chilled at times, but I prefer a true pashmina of cashmere/silk, as that will breathe. If I wear an acrylic shawl, I am roasting in 10 minutes, but yet when I remove it, I am chilled in 5 minutes. My faulty "thermostat!"

The velvet that I am leaving home is a top and jacket and really it is more New Years Eveish with glitter. I AM taking velvet pants. One, they are black and second they have a stretchy waistband so great for the last few nights of the 10 day cruise. By then I will need stretchy:D

I try to dress for the itinerary but I also tend to get chilly on the ship but I will look for shawls. I am heading out to the fabric store today to find some fun tropical fabric.

Thanks Kris

The velvet that I am leaving home is a top and jacket and really it is more New Years Eveish with glitter. I AM taking velvet pants. One, they are black and second they have a stretchy waistband so great for the last few nights of the 10 day cruise. By then I will need stretchy:D

I try to dress for the itinerary but I also tend to get chilly on the ship but I will look for shawls. I am heading out to the fabric store today to find some fun tropical fabric.

Thanks Kris

I am doing the Zuiderdam Jan 2. When is your cruise?

I dropped off my sewing maching at the sewing machine hospital and it won't be fixed until 3 weeks before the cruise, no pressure there.

I bought some great tropical fabric to make some maxi dresses for the day and maybe casual mevenings.

I went with great combinations of orange and turquise and a really cool paisley silk, maybe a jacket maybe a top, who knows.

Again, thanks for getting me on track. I have never cruised the carribean before so really didn't even think about how warm it will be.

Kris

Good for you---velvet is NOT appropriate for areas near the equator... (Panama!!!)...it's HOT there! Summerwear is what you want!

I just want to point out, that the ship is air conditioned. You do not feel you are in the steamy tropics when going to dinner! I have seen lots of velvets for formal night only. In fact I do have black velvet pants that I have worn many many times and never was out of place. Unless I didn't see the gals breaking down with laughter at me:D:eek::eek:

Now if you all are talking wearing velvet during the day outdoors then you are so right.....HOT and Humid.

Unless you go outside, you could be anywhere due to the climate controlled ship. I have seen lots of people wearing velvet on formal nights in the Caribbean in the winter. In tropical south Florida, people wear velvet in winter for evening wear, and velour hoodie suits are really popular on colder days.

Oh phooey! I was hoping you would be on my cruise! Oh well, I get to meet M Powered/Joan in 2 weeks and 3 days.

I will not be Mpowered on the ship. :eek: The M refers to my little fun-to-drive sports car. It would probably fit on the ship, but they still won't let me take it. :( So I will be Just Joan. :cool:

I will not be Mpowered on the ship. :eek: The M refers to my little fun-to-drive sports car. It would probably fit on the ship, but they still won't let me take it. :( So I will be Just Joan. :cool:

Okay Joan, FIFTEEN DAYS!!!!!!!!!

You know I like M powered better. I feel it suits you, as from the little you have shared with us, I know you must be a very strong woman, maybe not physically, but otherwise. You sound like a true "Steel Magnolia."

BTW, I am bringing no velvet this trip. I am afraid I will be too hot even in my poly silk stuff.

Unless you go outside, you could be anywhere due to the climate controlled ship. I have seen lots of people wearing velvet on formal nights in the Caribbean in the winter.

Thank you for saying this. I wear, with pleasure, my black velvet cardigan sweater (it has a silver thread running through it so it looks sparkly) with black dress pants and pumps on a formal night on any itinerary. I have always felt comfortable and pretty. :)

15 days, wow!!! I am a little freaked that I only have 52 days, so much to do, one thing at a time though right.

Most of the work is getting the pets taken care of and finding the right person to feed the fish and take care of the tanks, what a pain.

Once we drive down the road, I am totally fine.

just returned from PC sailing on NCL STAR and i saw VELVET quite a bit, like others have posted you are on an air conditioned ship and it does get chilly, some nights i was COLD and others just fine wearing my sleeveless dresses it just depends so you have to WEAR what works for you but to say VELVET is to hot well it definitely is for OUTSIDE but inside its perfectly WONDERFUL specially if you do tend to be COOL on cruises!

i have worn it going to ALASKA and the CARIBBEAN and MEXICAN RIVIERA and never was i the ONLY ONE wearing!!

I just want to point out, that the ship is air conditioned. You do not feel you are in the steamy tropics when going to dinner! I have seen lots of velvets for formal night only. In fact I do have black velvet pants that I have worn many many times and never was out of place. Unless I didn't see the gals breaking down with laughter at me:D:eek::eek:

Now if you all are talking wearing velvet during the day outdoors then you are so right.....HOT and Humid.

I agree. I have a black velvet long gown which I'll be wearing on one of the formal nights in equatorial SE Asia next June. The ship is airconditioned and I've never found it too hot. On the contrary, it can get chilly in the show room after dinner. I also have black velvet pants that I take on cruises to the tropics.

If you like the outfit, then consider taking it.

Cheers,

Anna

If you were taking the QE11 in the middle of January from NYC to England, would you wear cotton shorts and sandals during the daytime and then bright, tropical floral print summer dresses to dinner at night? Why not, after all, the ship will be heated???

Here at home, we often frequent a restaurant that we can get to through the lobby of our building, so we don't have to go into the cold air to get there, yet I don't wear linen pants and sandals when we dine there in winter, even though it's nice toasty inside the place.

Velvet in the tropics looks as good as sundresses on the QE11 NY-UK crossing. ;)

Ok, I am packing some velvet [don't yell at me] I need some more dressy options and it sounds like I won't be the only one so I hope I don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for all the fashion help, Kris

cozette, some are from the old school who says no velvet in the Caribbean and no white after Labor Day.

My philosophy,( which to me was why these "rules" were started anyway) is that I should dress for comfort, and the weather. If it 85 degrees outside in October I will wear white sandals and capris/shorts, I have no problem with this. However, when it drops below 75- 80 I don't usually wear sandals of any color.

I personally will not wear velvet in the Caribbean, except for perhaps a wrap, around the Panama canal area, though I doubt I would not even use a velvet wrap I am sure, I have been to Barbados and it was HOT.

I don't because I know I will become over heated. If you are cold natured though, this would not apply. BTW, when I return, I will post to you what the temps were in the Panama canal/Colon, Aruba, Costa Rica, these 3 ports both of our cruises will go.

Wow, you are almost on your cruise, lucky!! Are you ready? I feel like I have so much to. I have had a nasty cold and have lost my energy to work out or sew. I am glad I still have 40 days to get ready.

Have a great time!!!!

I have my undies in the washer as I type. Once I get them and my toiletries/meds packed, I will be ready to go! By this time tomorrow we are on the road! We are driving down!

Archived