787 First Flight - Good News for Cruise Passengers

SelectSys

We were lucky to score First Class seats on Qantas' A380 (LAX-MEL) and a 744 home (SYD-LAX) using AAdvantage miles. It was a great experience, but I told my teen not to get used to it ! Interesting that I slept fitfully, proving that I just can't sleep on planes. Maybe I didn't want to sleep through the food and entertainment.

What is that? I haven't heard anything specific or course I haven't really looked either.

The one thing that did surprise me seeing the 787 photos/videos was the degree of wing flex. Apparently the wing, being made from composites, has much more flex than a traditional metal aircraft wing.

Here is one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fucq5BoEfEI

Oh.. I was refering to the speculation about the air france crash due to a confluence of icing on the speed sensors causing the downward spiral of decisions in the horrible weather.

I'm by no means an expert but in passing reading seems that there have been a long history of new technology no matter how exhuastively tested behaving surprisingly. Electronics is probably harder to predict and stress than materials, but materials are no easy thing either, and that plane is full of new materials and assembly concepts. The more complex the system the more impossible it is regardless of how smart we humans think we are to test all the schenarios that may occur, combined with the unpredictible human elment sometimes simple is the best technology.

Unlike a car or your home PC a failure is annoying and an aggrivation at worst, but failure or blue screen in airplane welll.... :eek:

Any ideas for a flight from Dublin to US. I need a one way, as we booked a flight to Europe using miles.

Linda

You're in luck. Because the Irish flag carrier EI/Aer Lingus offers cheap one ways to/from Ireland, almost all the US Carriers do.

Anyone, all airlines have stunning first classes.
On my flight out for Christmas, we were all on board our BA aircraft, but sitting at the gate waiting for four hours to be deiced before we could depart.

Funny how none of my friends were in the least bit sympathetic ... once they found out that I was sitting in First and the Bollinger was flowing freely.

On my flight out for Christmas, we were all on board our BA aircraft, but sitting at the gate waiting for four hours to be deiced before we could depart.

Funny how none of my friends were in the least bit sympathetic ... once they found out that I was sitting in First and the Bollinger was flowing freely.

Bollinger?. Woww, Iberia should learn and decide to serve a decent champagne in its Business Plus. Just regular cava (Spanish version of champagne).

Well yes, but they sell it at First Class prices most of the time, and pretending to be something like "mixed Business-First". I think it´s pretty good to be a Business, not quite to be the airline most premium class. Seat are stunning good (as they are removing seats to get a full flat experience. Almost the whole A340 fleet has been fitted), but not as to be something to get First Class customers. Their main concern now, was that most premium customers find more appealing other First in many airlines, paying the same as Business in Iberia.

Eventually, they have been flying with low Business Cabins, and they launched offers. Things haven´t improved, and I suppose they are trying to upgrade it a little bit as to justify the price. I am quite intrigued about the new coach. Now it´s hideous. New seats with AVOD system was announced, but nothing about the rest of the services in coach. Improve ground and inflight service?. It´s a must.

We just need a premium economy in Spain, which for South America would be really appreciated. Specially for people not wanting to travel coach and can´t afforad Business. I wonder what someone wanting to fly BA World Traveller Plus from LHR in codeshare to South America with Iberia, be offered instead.

Archived