My 40 year old sewing machine has given up

Cozzette2

I took my sewing machine in to have it serviced yesterday and then headed off to the fabric store to buy lots of new fabric to make new cruise clothes.

I just got the call that my 40 year old machine [ honestly the longest relationship I have ever had] was unfixable.

I should be excited to get a new machine but to tell you the truth it was such sad news.

Over the years making wedding dresses, maternity clothes, baby clothes and Christmas projects.

Now I have to build a relationship with a stranger. well, I guess my new machines first project will be cruise clothes and that will start building new memories.

I guess 40 years on a machine that probably only cost about $100 is pretty darn good.

I will miss you faithful friend, so patient with me and always reliable.

I'm sorry :( It's hard parting with a good sewing machine, even when its time is up. If classes are offered with your NEW machine, I'd really suggest going to one in order to learn some of the "cool stuff" :)

My deepest condolences since I suffered a similar loss.:(

I often wondered how many miles I put on my machine's "odometer" since, like you, name it and I made it.;) I pretty much stopped sewing around the time we started cruising plus, with sales these days I can get things so cheaply.

I did buy a "new" machine but had the repairman watch for a certain older heavy metal model one without all the high tech things I wouldn't use. I made a dress 2 years ago that I wore on a cruise and I can't tell you how many compliments I got on it.:)

Sorry your old machine bit the dust ... my mother used the same Singer from about 1954 to 1990 or so and she was pretty sad when it died.

The new machines really are fantastic. I have a Brother that I got at Costco for a reasonable price (under $200) and it actually threads the needle!!! Great for these aging eyes. ;)

The new machines really aren't as well built as the old one, but I think you'll be thrilled with the new features.

Good luck with your sewing projects!

I picked out a new machine and I can't believe how light weight they are now. It isn't a fancy one because all I really do now is an occasional dress or top and every now and then a pillow case. I don't do a lot of sewing but I can't imagine not having a machine to do some repairs.

Unless you get a great sale on fabric and patterns it is usually cheaper to buy off the rack, but with sewing your own you do get something with your choice of fabric.

Thanks for the condolences:) Kris

My wife's Singer Featherweight is packed carefully away. Over the years the bobbin case wore away, and no one has replacement parts. I don't know just how old it is, but it was not originally motorized - the motor was added sometime in the 1940's.

She's now using a very basic Huskystar [the simpler the better, so no D1 - even if the budget would have stretched that far.]

I get how you're feeling....my old machine gave up the ghost...all it did was sew a straight seam, and for buttonholes, man...the attachments you needed!!!!!! My newer machine does alot of stuff, but I still miss the old one!

Why can they not make a sewing machine that makes beautiful buttonholes? Mom has a 1960 Singer with the buttonhole attachment that is in the pink box. Gorgeous buttonholes! She keeps it just as a buttonholer. My new machine makes lousy ones.

Every LA County fair I test drive buttonholes (Singer, Brother, Husquvarner.......), none are as good as that old machine! The sales people think I'm crazy!:eek:

Why can they not make a sewing machine that makes beautiful buttonholes? Mom has a 1960 Singer with the buttonhole attachment that is in the pink box. Gorgeous buttonholes! She keeps it just as a buttonholer. My new machine makes lousy ones.

Every LA County fair I test drive buttonholes (Singer, Brother, Husquvarner.......), none are as good as that old machine! The sales people think I'm crazy!:eek:

They're too wrapped up in making fancy schmancy things the REAL sewers have no use for.;) All I wanted was a meaty machine to sew over heavy fabric, a zig zag and a GOOD buttoneholer.

They're too wrapped up in making fancy schmancy things the REAL sewers have no use for.;) All I wanted was a meaty machine to sew over heavy fabric, a zig zag and a GOOD buttoneholer.

Ain't that the truth! I have a 40 year old Singer, a 30 year old Kenmore, AND a (I just did the math) a 74 year old Singer. I can't imagine trying to replace them. Of course, I quit doing REAL sewing about 15 years ago!

Ain't that the truth! I have a 40 year old Singer, a 30 year old Kenmore, AND a (I just did the math) a 74 year old Singer. I can't imagine trying to replace them. Of course, I quit doing REAL sewing about 15 years ago!

Exactly why I had the guy find me a Singer Golden Touch and Sew.

Pretty much stopped the serious clothing sewing but continue to make window treatments, slipcovers, bed items, matching pillows....house "clothing" now.:D

Cozzette,

What machine did you get and what are you planning on making for cruising?

Amen Sister!!! I don't need a bunch of stuff I will never use, but a good button holer, that would be awesome, I hold out little hope that my new machine will perform like the old one, but the upside, it will actually work lol.

I think I actually killed my machine by leaving it out in the shed last week when it was 10 degrees out. They said the head was cracked or something like that, might have been the cold, now I really feel bad.:eek:

my sweet husband just walked in the door with a new sewing machine, merry christmas to me!!!! Time to build new memories:D

Oooh, what kind?

I sympathize with your original pain--I traded my older machine in last year, and while I love the new one, I had a sentimental attachment to the other one. I hope your new machine gives you years of beautiful clothes and faithful service!

Pretty much stopped the serious clothing sewing but continue to make window treatments, slipcovers, bed items, matching pillows....house "clothing" now.:D

Do you know how much money you have saved? You can go on another cruise!!:D

I admire your ability to do this. I am so lucky, my mom makes me custom valances and table runners every once in a while when I change my decor. All I pay for is the fabric, and give her some bingo money!! :) I feel a deep chill when I see what stores charge for so-so window treatments!!

I am making 3 maxi dresses with great batik fabric and mabe a top or jacket with some great paisley silk.

I have some cute capris from my last cruise and I may or may not fit into them so the maxi dresses will fit no matter how much i lose, or don't.

I just got a cheapy Singer, so we will see how well it works. It should be plenty for what I have to sew. I hope.

Cozzette2, if your in Ore., and it got down to 10 last week, we must live near each other. I'am near Medford.

Bought a new machine about 6 years ago. Used it to make a few curtains and things, then started to ignore it. I don't use it, but feel like I need to have it...just in case.

I took my sewing machine in to have it serviced yesterday and then headed off to the fabric store to buy lots of new fabric to make new cruise clothes.

I just got the call that my 40 year old machine [ honestly the longest relationship I have ever had] was unfixable.

I should be excited to get a new machine but to tell you the truth it was such sad news.

Over the years making wedding dresses, maternity clothes, baby clothes and Christmas projects.

Now I have to build a relationship with a stranger. well, I guess my new machines first project will be cruise clothes and that will start building new memories.

I guess 40 years on a machine that probably only cost about $100 is pretty darn good.

I have 39 sewing machines, the oldest one is from 1830 and all of them still work! LOL

Actually some people take small machines on a LONG cruise, you know the 30+ day type or the Cargo ship type.

I have electrics, treadles and several hand operated ones.

Cozzette2, if your in Ore., and it got down to 10 last week, we must live near each other. I'am near Medford.

Bought a new machine about 6 years ago. Used it to make a few curtains and things, then started to ignore it. I don't use it, but feel like I need to have it...just in case.

I live in Medford, boy it was really cold wasn't it?

Looks like the East coast is the next to get the aweful weather, lots of snow. Crazy weather!!!!

If you have ever taken the Harry and David tour, I was probably your tour guide. Kris

Awww.... I am so sorry for you. I kind of felt the same way when my grandmothers sewing machine broke and she replaced it. I remember her making me tons and tons of dresses when I was little, and she taught me how to sew. I was going to inherit that machine. Now, she has several new ones that she still enjoys using, and she still makes beautiful things!

Kris, nope, no Harry and David tour so far. I just like to say hi to fellow cruisers from where I live. Actually out past Eagle Point.

Darn it! Now I'am getting the sewing bug! Noooo! Too much stuff going on already. Maybe after Christmas.

Neat thread:)......I have never owned a sewing machine.

When I was a child my Mom did but she was not really a sewer. I guess

back then lots of mom's owned them.

My mom had a wonderful cooking gene but as for sewing? Not so much.

Neat thread:)......I have never owned a sewing machine.

When I was a child my Mom did but she was not really a sewer. I guess

back then lots of mom's owned them.

My mom had a wonderful cooking gene but as for sewing? Not so much.

:) "cooking gene" :)

My mother used to make alllllllll my clothes. I always felt that only poor people had to make their own clothes, so I felt quite hard done by. She was a great seamstress, which I've only come to appreciate in the last few years!

Back on cruising -- I need to dig out a machine and alter one of the dresses I'm taking with me on my next cruise. If we had a seamstress in town, I'd take it to her/him! (I now LOATHE sewing :()

Hi, good to see you again:)

Yes, my Mom was a wonderful cook:).....when holiday time comes

around I still miss it the most. She has been gone since 1993....

When I was a kid, she could always hem stuff and small things like

that, but as a seamstress?...nope.

I guess we all have our specialties;)

oops...sorry to the OP...I didn't mean to get so off topic.

Archived