Stay on till 4pm Departure Day

GEORGET

I'm all for this new offering by RCCL, so please don't misunderstand my post here but we have to be fair and compare the REAL offering for the $35 and I doubt very much it includes a frozen drink (unless you pay for it) and spa treatment/massage is also out, unless, once again, you pay extra... :) ((just saying)

I didn't mean to imply that the $35 would include drinks and massages. Obviously those things would be extra.

The Explorer in March in New York would not be a viable option, weather too bad to use the pool or sunbathe. Using the Massage facilities would incur an extra charge, so really all you would gain would be a meal in the windjammer or a workout in the gym. Is this worth the extra?. Somehow dont think so.

in your case scenario, the package is not worth it, but this is a discussion of an offer of a new option by RCCL. It's still up to you to decide whether it's something you want/need or not. It's comparable to the the "Specialty Restaurant" deal. Is it for everybody? No, but for some it works and they are happy to pay extra.

Nobody is forcing anybody to sign up for this, but it's a nice option to have in case you have a long day ahead of you.

Price is fine for me, considering not having to buy over-priced airport food and being treated to all you can eat.

I doubt there would be an issue with "old passengers" (we need to find a better term...) taking up too much space. not many could take part and plenty of "new passengers" do not arrive before 4, and even if they did, think of how many on these boards go straight to the dining room to check their assignment, then haggle with the maitre'd before heading off to book speciality restaurants, spa appts, whatever.

I do not see a problem with "passenger collision." It's simply not true that Everyone wants to hang at WJ or pool.

Price is fine for me, considering not having to buy over-priced airport food and being treated to all you can eat.

I doubt there would be an issue with "old passengers" (we need to find a better term...) taking up too much space. not many could take part and plenty of "new passengers" do not arrive before 4, and even if they did, think of how many on these boards go straight to the dining room to check their assignment, then haggle with the maitre'd before heading off to book speciality restaurants, spa appts, whatever.

I do not see a problem with "passenger collision." It's simply not true that Everyone wants to hang at WJ or pool.

While it might be nice to think that it would not be "all about the food", I can only say that I have not had a cruise where the Windjammer was not packed with boarding passengers. There are always dozens of people milling around looking, vainly, for a table to open up. To add a couple of dozen more milling about would only make things worse.

But if RCI sees it as a way to make a couple of hundred extra bucks per cruise, they will certainly do that......:)

in your case scenario, the package is not worth it, but this is a discussion of an offer of a new option by RCCL. It's still up to you to decide whether it's something you want/need or not. It's comparable to the the "Specialty Restaurant" deal. Is it for everybody? No, but for some it works and they are happy to pay extra.

Nobody is forcing anybody to sign up for this, but it's a nice option to have in case you have a long day ahead of you.

Quite agree, and if we were in warmer climates it would be an option that would be worth considering. Unfortunately on this occasion it would not work even though we have a late flight. Thankfully RC have booked us into a day room before our flight.

Sandian

How will they know if the passenger(s) are embarking or disembarking? It's not like everybody from the previous cruise will be allowed to take this offer and stay until 4. It's a small precentage that will be allowed to stay on. It will have no negative effect on the new passengers.

Bookings are taken two days before departure and are limited.

Oh believe me....hang around here long enough and you will see that many like to complain about everything.....I could just imagine if they tried this on one of the Freedom class ships:rolleyes:first person that boarded that couldn't find a seat in the Windjammer for lunch:eek::eek::eek:

I don't understand HOW they manage to "turn around" the ship on disembarkation/embarkation day anyway -- so many rooms to clean, so many people to be moved through the process. It seems that allowing "old passengers" to hang around while "new passengers" are coming on board would just make things even more difficult.

My family wouldn't take advantage of this deal -- at least not right now. We have about an eight hour drive, so we want to hit the road ASAP. Under different circumstances, I would consider it.

Resorts have late check out all the time, with no extra charge of course.

Many don't book flights just to have a few extra hours but it works great for those who do.

It's accommodating a handful of people at a rate that won't make it tempting for those who just have a few hours to kill.

Let's see....rather than sit in an airport, you can stay onboard and:

-eat lunch in the Windjammer

-lounge by the pool with a frozen drink :)

-soak in the hottub

-work out in the fitness center

-climb the rock wall

-play mini golf

-use up internet minutes

-try the Flowrider (if you're ship has that feature)

-get a massage or other spa treatment

-probably a few more things I'm forgetting

I can easily see where someone might decide it's worth the $35pp

Since all the staff have turn-over-day responsibilities, I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't open the fitness center, the rock wall, Flowrider, and the spa for the "limited number" of people who'd be allowed to take advantage of this deal. Bars would probably be closed after the majority of the passengers had departed. Know how when you first enter the ship the doors are closed off, and they shuffle people straight up to the Windjammer? I suspect Windjammer would close for a while too. I'm pretty sure they'd close off all those areas once most people had left the ship.

You'd probably be limited to self-serve, keep-out-of-the-way options. That'd leave the pool, the hot tub, mini-golf and other sports-deck options . . . but that'd be about it.

I can't see this being done in the US departure ports. Brilliance is overseas so the rules aren't as strict as at US ports. US Customs requires that all passengers be off the ship in order to "clear" the ship for the next departure. This is why back-to-back passengers must exit the ship and wait till it's cleared before getting back on. The hassle of getting off with all your stuff and then getting back on may complicate this at US ports.

First of all let me say if RCI can work it out and make a buck or two from it fine. If people are willing to do it and it works for them that´s fine as well.

Depending on how this is done I feel a bit sorry for the crew who I think deserves a short time of no pax onboard to get ready for the next set of pax.

I however can´t see it working well for me. I´ve had late flights and I hate hanging around the airport, but I´ve also had late departures from the ship and the last day onboard is not the most pleasant one and I doubt I´ll pay for the "opportunity" to stay on.

Let's see....rather than sit in an airport, you can stay onboard and:

-eat lunch in the Windjammer agree on that as a possibility

-lounge by the pool with a frozen drink :) ever been on the pool deck on turnaround day? To my experience pools and hot tubs have been closed for cleaning, loungers have been hosed down. Padded Loungers in Solarium had the padding removed for cleaning. The crew is real busy around the pools to get it back in shape for the new crowd. Not a pleasant place to hang around. BTW never saw a pool bar open at that time and servers around.

-soak in the hottub see above, closed for cleaning

-work out in the fitness center not sure if they would be open

-climb the rock wall highly doubt it´s open

-play mini golf should be an option

-use up internet minutes shipboard accounts will be closed and settled, so any unused internet minutes will be gone by that time, you can´t even use leftover minutes the morning of departure if you have a regular departure.

-try the Flowrider (if you're ship has that feature) like rock climbing won´t be open

-get a massage or other spa treatment I somehow doubt they will offer this, as they are cleaning the rooms and setting them up for showing them to the new passengers and the tours

-probably a few more things I'm forgetting My experience is that almost everything is closed onboard the departure day and whenever I had to hang around I thought I´d rather leave and find a Hotel to hang around. JMHO.

I can easily see where someone might decide it's worth the $35pp

Is $35 per head is reasonable? If you have a late flight/train and 8 hours to kill then definitely yes! Add in the cost of storing your luggage somewhere, buying breakfast and lunch - then $35 sounds like a very good price. I don't know about the US but in Europe it would cost a hell of a lot more than $35! I will definitely be taking advantage of the offer if it is available to me on my next cruise. Hmmm let me think nice cruise ship or dirty train station ... it's a no brainer for me!

It won't suit everyone but I like this idea and it's nice to have the option.

Archived