Back to the Class System

jebl

I'm sure its been said many times, Suite Passengers make it so "regular" passengers don't have to pay as much. Everyone wins. If you want special treatment, then pay for it. If you don't need those things, then be happy they footed a 50-75-150% larger bill for being on the same ship and making your cost much lower. Basic economics.

I agree :) I am absolutely delighted that people are freely able to choose and pay many, many times more than me. They can have all the "extra" perks to keep them doing so. :)

I've been on 62 cruises, all booked via the bargain priority. Cruising is cheap, if you are flexable and don't care about cabins. I had three cruises booked for 2010 and just picked up a Feb. Independence for $1000 for 2. :) I do not expect anything more than a great time.

Cruising is a great way to travel, and as I have said before, we all select the room we want, regardless of where it is located on the ship or the price we pay for it. The people who choose to pay the price of a suite deserve extra, but once we all board that ship, then I really feel it is all of ours. The pool areas shouldn't be roped nor theaters as they are all public areas, if you wish to sit up front, get there early. To many times we start thinking of what we don't have, instead of being grateful for what we do have. There are alot of people who can't even afford a cruise or vacation. For us, everyone on that ship is equal regardless of the room they have.

We will have to agree to disagree. During busy airport days, I saw many passengers not able to find a seat in the general airport areas, yet I was able to walk into a nice, quiet lounge and have a couch waiting for me plus free food and drinks.

Tell me, what's the difference?

That's more like the Concierge Lounge.

Think about how it would go on those days that passengers couldn't find seats, but there were several available in an area next to the gate that AA had suddenly cordoned off for their elites. I wouldn't want to be the GA.

Yes, but if the lounge area was not there, (as in roped off area on the cruise ship), there would be more room for seats for everybody else...;)

Well not necessarily, usally those lounges are not in the general waiting area, but even on another floor, if it wasn´t there it could be offices and not extended room for the general flyer. But I don´t think we need to go there as we can play this game back and forth forever. I really don´t think the comparison between suite passengers on a cruise and first class passengers on an airplane is a good one, to me it´s apple to oranges, but to you it obviously fits, so I guess we have to agree on disagreeing on that one.

BTW, and I´ve said this before, I´m cruising in suites and non-suite accomodations and regardless of what cabin I have I don´t care if there´s a roped off area as I wouldn´t use it regardless of what cabin I´m in at the time.

BTW, and I´ve said this before, I´m cruising in suites and non-suite accomodations and regardless of what cabin I have I don´t care if there´s a roped off area as I wouldn´t use it regardless of what cabin I´m in at the time.

Ahhh, so you're the one who is "double-dipping" on the seats huh? :D:D:D

It can be done well or poorly. I have been on the QM2, which has a real "class system" and it was barely noticible. But on RCI, where I have been many times and spent a lot of money, I have often been made to actually FEEL like a second class citizen.

:p

Well not as of yet, as on my last cruise in a GS I never even made it to the theater (I was too occupied in the CL:eek:)and in all my cruises I´ve never sat in a pool lounger. Hanging around the pool isn´t for me. ;)

Whew! I was afraid we were going to have to put a wanted poster up for you right next to amybeth's...... ;) :)

It can be done well or poorly. I have been on the QM2, which has a real "class system" and it was barely noticible. But on RCI, where I have been many times and spent a lot of money, I have often been made to actually FEEL like a second class citizen.

It is not often I feel compelled to quote our trusty leaders here at CC :p :D, but in this case I will borrow Laura's sig line:

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Good words to live by....... :)

It is not often I feel compelled to quote our trusty leaders here at CC :p :D, but in this case I will borrow Laura's sig line:

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Good words to live by....... :)

Truer words have never been spoken!

No one can ever make me feel less as a person. With the Carnival comments on another thread, you know a few have tried;) The true 'class system' is in the minds of a few on this board. They have no problem posting that RCCL is better because of a few bucks more but totally against considering people differently because they pay a few bucks more:confused:

Ok, I've cruised in "regular" accomidations and I've cruised in suites and really, other than the extra space the "perks" suites get really aren't worth the extra money so I'm glad to see RCCL taking steps to make the perks better. I'm a little dismayed that some of them are coming at the expense of other traveleres but, in a few years no one will remember the difference.

And on the future trips I'm in a Suite I'll use the perks and in the ones I'm not in a Suite I'll make do and remember someone else paid to have them. It doesn't really take anything away from my vacation if I don't let it

I always book 2 suites for my party of 5, but we have never, on any cruise, used priority seating at pools, shows, restaurants, or anywhere else. We've also never bothered with the Concierge Lounge, we're just not like that.

Only suite perks we really use are the priority boarding and the double cruise credits. We just want bigger rooms and bigger balconies, not perks!' So to me, it's a non-issue.

I always book 2 suites for my party of 5, but we have never, on any cruise, used priority seating at pools, shows, restaurants, or anywhere else. We've also never bothered with the Concierge Lounge, we're just not like that.

Only suite perks we really use are the priority boarding and the double cruise credits. We just want bigger rooms and bigger balconies, not perks!' So to me, it's a non-issue.

Not like what? Like those people who take advantage of "free" drinks each evening - that they have paid for when booking their suite? :confused:

There will always people who will complain about what other people get...

some people don't even notice, but live their lives enjoying what they have...

It's a shame that people get upset about such silly things. I really don't see the sense. These are tiny little issues.

I believe John Edwards was correct, like him or not, when he said there are 2 Americas, the rich and the poor. Royal Caribbean has quickly adopted this philosophy by roping off sections for "the elite". I am just happy that I am able to cruise in this pitiful economy and I plan to enjoy any cruise I can take. If you feel that you are more deserving than me or that you are better than my family, feel free to think this way. Enjoy your speciality seats in the theaters, the pool, etc. Just remember, What goes around, comes around. Happy Cruising!

I believe John Edwards was correct, like him or not, when he said there are 2 Americas, the rich and the poor. Royal Caribbean has quickly adopted this philosophy by roping off sections for "the elite". I am just happy that I am able to cruise in this pitiful economy and I plan to enjoy any cruise I can take. If you feel that you are more deserving than me or that you are better than my family, feel free to think this way. Enjoy your speciality seats in the theaters, the pool, etc. Just remember, What goes around, comes around. Happy Cruising!

The only problem with your argument is that I think Edwards would have put everyone cruising on the "rich" side. :D

Slight correction, Princess has Elite, RCCL has Diamond;)

More deserving becasue they pay more ....yes!

Better, not in this cruise life.

One can't consider 'poor' America and cruising in the same thought.

Any kind of cruising is still considered a luxury by many Americans.

Try complaining to someone who has never cruised about a bad cruise and you will see what I am talking about.

That's more like the Concierge Lounge.

Think about how it would go on those days that passengers couldn't find seats, but there were several available in an area next to the gate that AA had suddenly cordoned off for their elites. I wouldn't want to be the GA.

AA doesn't do that but some of their OneWorld partners do rope off an area at the gate, have a little catering station with finger food and drinks for 1st class/business class and status holders. I was able to enjoy a reserved seat and free drink(s) at some remote airports where the airline has only 1 or 2 flights a day and it wouldn't make sense to actually lease a lounge area from the airport authority.

Yes, and his solution was to just make everybody poor.

AA doesn't do that but some of their OneWorld partners do rope off an area at the gate, have a little catering station with finger food and drinks for 1st class/business class and status holders. I was able to enjoy a reserved seat and free drink(s) at some remote airports where the airline has only 1 or 2 flights a day and it wouldn't make sense to actually lease a lounge area from the airport authority.
If it's a remote airport with only 1 or 2 flights a day, overcrowding's not likely to be an issue.

We don't need to turn this into a political discussion, but fact is you get what you pay for. People who pay more should get more perks. Simple as that. It's not about "feeling" superior as you suggest. It's just you get what you pay for.

Andrzej5914, you are so correct. Some people just don't get it, because they likely haven't "lived" it.

Archived