Disappointed with SAS Transportation

nodumblond

Upon the recommendations of a number of folks on the boards, we booked them for our transportation from FLL to POM this past week. After being told that 'we'll be there in four minutes', it was 45 minutes before our van arrived. Our dinner tablemates, who had also booked them for the same itinerary, told us that they had been kept waiting for an hour and a half earlier that day.

Coming back was even worse. Not only were our tablemates and us left waiting for an hour with no explanation of where the shuttle was other than 'we're behind traffic at the port'; when it became clear that there was a very good chance they would not be able to get us to the airport before our flight left, we could not even get them on the phone to find out what a true ETA might be.

We ended up grabbing a taxi for a frantic dash to the airport (and left a message for them with that update); ten minutes into our trip, we got a call from the shuttle looking for us.

Perhaps the backup with customs clearance tipped a carefully balanced allocation of resources, but we won't take the chance of missing a flight again, and can't in all good conscience recommend them. A pity, as we much prefer using FLL to MIA for flights; we'll have to do more research into other options.

I am hoping SAS was having a off day.. We used them in Oct and can't get them enough good reviews.. and we have reservations for Jan for same service.. just hope it is as good as before

Well, actually it was TWO off days -- both Sundays of our trip. Perhaps the stars crossed twice, but with the service so challenged both coming and going (and not just for us, either), especially as we were careful to follow their instructions to the letter as to when and where to call for pickup, I'm not inclined to see if the third time's the charm.

sorry you had so much trouble with SAS..we are using them next month and HOPING that yours were just isolated incidents...HOPEFULLY!!--i have only SEEN POSITIVE reviews with this company, that is why i chose to go with them for our FLL to Miami hotel and then post cruise back to FLL.

Have been in touch with Steve regarding our reservation for next week and I am very happy to continue with it. This is the first negative post I have seen for SAS.

Well, if you'd like, I'd be happy to have the other CC couple who had similar problems comment. In the meantime, I'll be eagerly awaiting further reports from others to see if these were isolated incidents.

As we are using SAS this coming week I am happy to see no further complaints - I will post any comments, good or bad, here by the end of the week.

Every company has their off days and I'm sorry to hear when this happens. Was there a reason for them being late? Between my cousin and I, we have used SAS 6 times in 1 1/2 years with no issues. Now we did get stuck in traffic once but that was because of an accident.

dreaming-a-way; The original complaint was made by nodumblond and after contacting Steve I am happy to continue with our reservation. He has explained the reason for the problem and I am confident that we will be happy with the service. As I said, I will report back later.

I also had a poor experience with a very slow pick up at the airport (also around 45 minutes or longer) and then a really stinky smoke filled van. The driver was nice but the smoke reek was just too much. We did not use the return service so can't comment on port pick up. Price was good.

I was with nodumbblond waiting, waiting, waiting for SAS shuttle to pick us up. Although on the way we didn't have to wait long...maybe 15 minutes so no complaints there. For pick up though...the ship was late in clearing customs, which put us 2 hours behind on getting off the ship. This should not have made a difference in SAS shuttle though because you don't call them for pick up until you get off the ship. What made us mad was that every time we called we were told that they would be there in 4 minutes. We called several times and were told the same thing every time. Since nodumbblond and hubby happen to be our tablemates we got to know them on the cruise and ended up waiting with them for SAS to pick us up. They had a flight to catch and were going to miss it because of SAS. What made things worse is SAS just stopped answering their phone. After 1 1/2 hours of waiting we gave up and split a taxi with nodumbblond and her hubby and the taxi driver got us to FLL airport in time for nodumbblond to catch her flight. My hubby checked his phone and SAS finally called us back at 12:30....a full 2 hours after we originally called them for pick up. When we got the taxi nodumbblond did call them to say we all took other transportation. Maybe it was an off day as the port was very busy but it does leave a sour taste in my mouth and very leary to use them again.

At the very least when we called they could have told us that they were behind and it would be X amount of time before pick up.

As we are using SAS this coming week I am happy to see no further complaints - I will post any comments, good or bad, here by the end of the week.
Well, as promised, report on SAS and I am very happy to say that we could not be more pleased. Arrived last night in MIA and called after collecting bags. Driver, Carlos, was at the kerb to pick us up within 5 mins and the van was clean, comfortable and the journey to FL uneventful. I promised to report, good or bad, and I have done. Over and out.

Well, as promised, report on SAS and I am very happy to say that we could not be more pleased. Arrived last night in MIA and called after collecting bags. Driver, Carlos, was at the kerb to pick us up within 5 mins and the van was clean, comfortable and the journey to FL uneventful. I promised to report, good or bad, and I have done. Over and out.

Thank you for providing the update!

We used SAS in Nov and have no complaints. We did have a little bit of a wait at the FLL airport but no big deal. As far as a stinky(smoke) van our van was not. We contracted with them to pick us up at the port and back to FLL airport. Unfortunately my mother-in-law died 2 days into the cruise and we had to leave the ship to return home. On Sunday morning on our way to church my cell phone rang and it was SAS looking for us at the port. I forgot to cancel them. We will use them again. We were very pleased with thier service.

Diane

Regarding using the SAS shuttle, how much of a tip for 2 people with 1 bag each would be acceptable each way, or does the quoted price include a gratuity? Just curious what other people do and think. Thanks

Regarding using the SAS shuttle, how much of a tip for 2 people with 1 bag each would be acceptable each way, or does the quoted price include a gratuity? Just curious what other people do and think. Thanks

The quoted price is just that. Tip as you deem appropriate....or not.

We had to change hotels (nov/dec) on our cruise and since we had already booked a shuttle transfer from SAS they honored it even though it was outside their area. Our driver was Steve, the owner, and couldn't have been more personable. Only two of us with 1 bag each. I tipped him 5 bucks anyway. Hey.........I would have tipped a driver anyway so why not the owner who went out of his way. Just sayin........whatever you're comfortable with.....I'm sure they are too.

dreaming-a-way; The original complaint was made by nodumblond and after contacting Steve I am happy to continue with our reservation. He has explained the reason for the problem and I am confident that we will be happy with the service. As I said, I will report back later.

Just out of curiosity: what WAS Steve's reason for the problems?

We used SAS last year, they had us call when we got to pick up our luggage at FLL and it took them a while to come, ride was fine to hotel.

We booked them for the ride to POM from our hotel and they were not on time, we waited about 35 minutes before they came, we were in phone contact with them and was told they are on the way.

After we were picked up we then went to another area of FL (we were on the beach) this was west by the e-way, we picked up 2 ladies going to POM also.

On the way to POM we were told we had to go to Miami airport and wait for a flight to come in! Was not happy about this, it was now noon and we had a pickup for 10!

As we were getting off for the airport our driver got a call saying that some one else was going to pick up so we were back on our way to POM.

Another stop on the way, our driver wanted some thing to drink and said we could all get out if we wanted, nobody did, we wanted to be on our way!

By the time we got to the POM it was almost 1PM.

We had booked SAS for our return trip to FLL and they were not there when we got off the ship,we had asked to be picked up at 9:30, we waited for about 20 minutes and were told by phone that some one was on the way. We saw several SAS vans but all were always full.

An SAS van finally came but they didn't have us on the list but had room for us.

Not going to use them again to get to the ship or back.

Just out of curiosity: what WAS Steve's reason for the problems?

I have to say that our pick up was a little confusing, and I was upset..although once we finally connected with him, he said (and I thought just a tad testy) that I had no reason to worry, it didn't take that long to get to the airport. I told him I had no way of knowing that, since I hired him to get me there, so I didn't have to worry about if I would be on time...I assumed he would be there since I had just called him.

I called him as we went through customs, he told us where he would be. He wasn't. We dragged our luggage back and forth, back and forth up the road, down the road, no van. Called him, got no answer, dragged back and forth again, thought about trying to find a shuttle, called him again, and he said we had to go way up to the corner, past the other cruise ship, because he had no place to park near ours. So we dragged our luggage up through the masses getting off the other ship, and huffed and puffed (we had already made the trip three times) until finally he was walking towards us and asked if we were us. That's when I mentioned I hoped we made our flight and he was a bit testy. The price was good, but I think we'll do a cab or different shuttle the next time. 35-40 minutes of lugging our luggage all over was too much for us.

He actually said he had to pick up another person elsewhere, but luckily someone else said they would do it. I would not have been happy.

Hi , we booked SAS after reading theses boards for our transfer from our hotel in Fort Lauderdale to POM, on 21 Dec. 6 people.

We were picked up 52 minutes later than scheduled.

When we called Steve said the driver was on his way and the driver was not authorised to call us(only Steve could) as our cells were long distance nos. I accept that however ,Steve could have called and informed us of the schedule change so we could have planned our morning better and relaxed in our rooms, rather than hanging about a crowded lobby with scores of others waiting for their cruise transfers.

The drivers reason for being late was that the previous group arrived late

so that pick-up was delayed so off course all subsequent pick-ups were going to be later. The driver was very pleasant and a safe driver, and we had no problems with him at all.

I cannot recommend SAS tho as I feel that good customer service would include a courtesy call to update/ confirm etc us that we were going to be picked up later. Factor the cost of a call into the charge if you like.

I appreciate that traffic, flight delays etc are unpredictable but the last

thing I need is to be worried if my transportation is going to show up or not on the first day of my holiday.

Reading this post tho it seems that others have also experienced similar issues and while every company has off days, mine as well ,its how one minimises and handles these problems that counts.

I will not use SAS in future and will try a private transfer next time.

I'm a little concerned after reading this thread. I emailed Steve with my concern that we that his driver might not be able to pick us up close to the terminal and his response was that the Sheriffs' control the port. We have never had a problem with taxi's in the past. We have always got one right outside at the end of the the terminal.building. Is there an ongoing problem with SAS getting close to the terminal? Having to drag our luggage any distance fromn the building (ie up & down the road) would be impossible for us.

Archived