Disappointed with SAS Transportation

nodumblond

I'm a little concerned after reading this thread. I emailed Steve with my concern that we that his driver might not be able to pick us up close to the terminal and his response was that the Sheriffs' control the port. We have never had a problem with taxi's in the past. We have always got one right outside at the end of the the terminal.building. Is there an ongoing problem with SAS getting close to the terminal? Having to drag our luggage any distance fromn the building (ie up & down the road) would be impossible for us.

This worries me also. In fact this whole thread worries me. We all have pet peeves, (you know, those things that make us clinch our teeth and growl?). Well, mine is for people to be late! I just can't stand it. I will not be happy if I am left standing at the airport waiting for a half an hour or more. I also have some mobility problems and cannot walk and drag my luggage for a long distance at the port.

Oh well, I refuse to worry about it any more now. We'll see what happens.

well NOW I AM CONCERNED, as we are using SAS for our transportation, not as WORRIED about the airport pick-up as the CRUISE pickup:confused:

what does a TAXI cost from the cruiseport and are they readily available...do i NEED to look for a different transportation service post cruise:confused:we always take a post-cruise tour this time we could not so i am relying on SAS least i dont have a real early flight out of FLL but still i dont like have to wait with no communication:eek:

Taxi's are readily available but the trip to FLL cost $73.00:eek:!! We split the cost with another couple so it wasn't so bad for us but I wouldn't have paid that alone!! What made me angry is that every time we called they said 4 minutes. We saw 1 full SAS van go past. 4 minutes, 4 minutes, 4 minutes...well that turned into an hour or more. Then they stopped answering the phone!!! Even when we called to tell them to forget it no one answered and we had to leave a message. Poor customer service if you ask me. The couple we were waiting with explained to them they had a flight to catch but it didn't matter as they still didn't show up. If we would have continued to wait the other couple would surely have missed their flight.

Our pickup from the hotel the morning of our cruise was about 20 minutes late but we did have good cell phone communication updating us when the driver was near. On the return from POM we called when we cleared customs, walked out front and within about 10 minutes the van pulled up. I had to flag him down and he had to find a place to stop to pick us up, but it went smooth. We made stops at 2 other ships (there were 5 ships off loading passengers) It is a sea of people and these drivers are trying to find folks as best they can. If they stop anywhere and are not actually in the process of loading people, they get a ticket. Our driver had received one the previous day. He stopped for two other couples that flagged him down but was in phone contact with a lady that he couldn't find. We circled twice trying to locate her and he finally called steve and had another van start looking for her and we left. That explains why they are late getting back to FLL to pick people up. POM is a zoo when there are multiple ships unloading a couple thousand passengers each. The point is, you have to wave your arms as they approach so that they can figure out where to stop and pick you up.

If all else fails, there are lots of cabs and other shuttle services that you can flag down.

I used them last year.It was pain calling them as i did not have my cell phone and had to use a pay phone ..The driver( I thnk it was Dave) was doing 80 MPH to Miami and had my daughter crying he was going so fast.i had to tell him to slow down so he did to 75 MPH.I was not to happy about that part.Althought it did cost us 15 each for a total of 60 bucks i think from now on i will just walk out of the airport and grab a cab so I don't have to wait around or make phone calls etc. Oh, I forgot once the van hit 60 MPH it started to shake pretty bad and that was a little unnerving also. So my advice is just take a cab as its not worth the hassle.

I'm wondering if this is something new that the port authorities do not allow private transportation companies (SAS) to pick up curbside? We have never had a problem being picked up curbside before but I do not like the latest reports of problems with SAS. We are booked with SAS but I'm not sure they are reliable enough for me to trust.

We are flying out of Miami and need to have a fairly inexpensive and reliable means of transportation for 6 adults with luggage.

Options seem to be:

1. Separate Taxis - very costly

2. SAS and hope for the best (be on time and not parked 2 miles from the terminal)

3. Car rental at Port Everglades returning the car to Miami International

4. Cruise line transfers - pain in the butt - crowded etc

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions for a private car service?

TIA

If you're flying out of Miami - use a cab from POM to the airport around $20 for the ride.

We used another shuttle service from the airport to our hotel in Miami - not worth the hassle of waiting, being driven though bad neighborhoods etc...

I'm wondering if this is something new that the port authorities do not allow private transportation companies (SAS) to pick up curbside? We have never had a problem being picked up curbside before but I do not like the latest reports of problems with SAS. We are booked with SAS but I'm not sure they are reliable enough for me to trust.

(Edited to Add) We are arriving at Port Everglades Terminal (Ft. Lauderdale) and

we are flying out of Miami and need to have a fairly inexpensive and reliable means of transportation for 6 adults with luggage.

Options seem to be:

1. Separate Taxis - very costly

2. SAS and hope for the best (be on time and not parked 2 miles from the terminal)

3. Car rental at Port Everglades returning the car to Miami International

4. Cruise line transfers - pain in the butt - crowded etc

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions for a private car service?

TIA

Please see edit above.

Our pickup from the hotel the morning of our cruise was about 20 minutes late but we did have good cell phone communication updating us when the driver was near. On the return from POM we called when we cleared customs, walked out front and within about 10 minutes the van pulled up. I had to flag him down and he had to find a place to stop to pick us up, but it went smooth. We made stops at 2 other ships (there were 5 ships off loading passengers) It is a sea of people and these drivers are trying to find folks as best they can. If they stop anywhere and are not actually in the process of loading people, they get a ticket. Our driver had received one the previous day. He stopped for two other couples that flagged him down but was in phone contact with a lady that he couldn't find. We circled twice trying to locate her and he finally called steve and had another van start looking for her and we left. That explains why they are late getting back to FLL to pick people up. POM is a zoo when there are multiple ships unloading a couple thousand passengers each. The point is, you have to wave your arms as they approach so that they can figure out where to stop and pick you up.

If all else fails, there are lots of cabs and other shuttle services that you can flag down.

When we tried to use them for pick up after the cruise I only saw 1 SAS van the entire time we were waiting and he was full and drove on by. Never saw another SAS van so we called. They stopped answering the phone and when they did answer they told us 4 minutes. 4 minutes never happened. Never even saw SAS to try to flag them down.

I highly reccomend SAS. They have always been on time for my transfers. I am very impressed with them. The vehicles are clean and smoke free. The drivers are very professional. I will definately use them again. Several of my friends have also used SAS with no complaints. I will never take a taxi or cruiseline transfer again. SAS is definately my #1 choice for transfers in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.:o

we are still booked with them to be picked up at FLL to take us to POM HI but decided to go with the ship's transfer to airport post cruise...just didnt like all these latest reports on picking up after the cruise:(

I just looked up the transfer post cruise for Celebrity. I'm willing to pay the price, but it says we will not arrive until 12:00 at FLL. We are coming from POM. Our flight is at 12:50. Any suggestions. I'm getting worried about SAS. How much would a cab be? There will be 5 of us.

Archived