Dream was so bad we got off in St. Thomas

Cruisenut1966

I was on the 9 day inaugural. Did not experience any issues with lines on Lido. The only problem we had was finding a table on the last sea day, it was raining and everybody was stuck inside. Found a table within 5 minutes. In fact, this was the first cruise we never ate lunch in the dining room because we really enjoyed the variety. My husband loved the burrito bar, the tandoori was excellent, and we enjoyed the pasta bar as well.

We had a fabulous time. My only complaint was the poor traffic flow coming from the Burgandy Lounge for the comedy shows. I am sure they will come up with something to rectify this.

There are so many fabulous things about this ship. We really enjoyed the Serenity Area, Ocean Plaza, The Lanai, and Dancin' in the Streets was awesome!

Honestly folks, is it REALLY that bad? My whole family (10 of us) are going this summer on the Dream for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. We most always cruise on RCCL (have done CCL, DCL, and NCL), but are giving this a try due to price and ports. I realize you can always read bad reviews on all ships, but I don't remember reading this many (or so it seems) about a new ship and especially on the Carnival boards. I want this trip to be so nice for my family (the others have only been on one prior cruise). I also know that any day on a cruise is better than at home or work.

Sewage smells, long lines, poor service, etc.... Just doesn't sound right. Is there someone at CCL we can contact to see what they might be doing to correct these problems, if in fact, they are true?

Please help me feel better!

They are doing some things to try and cut down on the long lines on Lido. They are adding some barbecue areas on the Lani, they have added a brunch menu for the dining room to see if more people will try that option. If you know before you cruise what some of the problems are than you can come up with ways to avoid them.

Keep reading the reviews and you will know what problems they have fixed and what areas to avoid. We had some problems but we still enjoyed our cruise. The best way to avoid lines on the Lido is to eat early or late but not when everyone else goes. We never stood in line longer than 10 minutes and we never had trouble finding a table.

Quite frankly I don't believe these negative posts about the Dream. I see constant Carnival bashing all over the internet, including Youtube and the AOL message boards. I never see the bashing for any other cruise line but Carnival.

I don't see how two people can take the same cruise, one claims there was long lines, the other person says there wasn't. Either there was or their wasn't. Someone isn't telling the truth and my guess it's the complainer.

Quite frankly I don't believe these negative posts about the Dream. I see constant Carnival bashing all over the internet, including Youtube and the AOL message boards. I never see the bashing for any other cruise line but Carnival.

I don't see how two people can take the same cruise, one claims there was long lines, the other person says there wasn't. Either there was or their wasn't. Someone isn't telling the truth and my guess it's the complainer.

I wont even consider doing the math...but how many thousands of people do you figure have cruised the dream.....we get a few people on here that have complaints and we are suppose to think the dream is a lost cause???? I dont think so.....im sure there are many things that need some tweaking, but not everything is under carnivals control.....if 4000 people decide to eat at the same time...theres gonna be lines...Im excited to get onboard the dream next month to see first hand that most of these bad reviews are simply overexagerated....

Nothing except threat of death - or serious injury or illness - would make me get off a cruise ship in the middle of a cruise.

Nothing at all.

On the other hand, I'd NEVER book a brand new ship during it's inaugural season. Too many glitches, too many kinks, not "settled in"......

I'll wait until the new has worn off and the little problems are fixed first.

I was on the 9 day inaugural. Did not experience any issues with lines on Lido. The only problem we had was finding a table on the last sea day, it was raining and everybody was stuck inside. Found a table within 5 minutes. In fact, this was the first cruise we never ate lunch in the dining room because we really enjoyed the variety. My husband loved the burrito bar, the tandoori was excellent, and we enjoyed the pasta bar as well.

We had a fabulous time. My only complaint was the poor traffic flow coming from the Burgandy Lounge for the comedy shows. I am sure they will come up with something to rectify this.

There are so many fabulous things about this ship. We really enjoyed the Serenity Area, Ocean Plaza, The Lanai, and Dancin' in the Streets was awesome!

All I can say is ditto to everything! I was on the same cruise and had the same feelings...

If you go to the buffet during prime time lunch (12-1) you are most likely going to find lines. That's inevitable. Try going at 1:30.

I loved this ship and would definitely go on it again :)

He had three complaints. Long lines, kids playing in the hallway, and not being able to get his precious Corona in a bottle. He even admitted the food was good. I went on the Victory once at spring break and the ship was packed with very long lines. It isn't enough to do something so drastic as to ruin your vacation by flying home. I can't take the poster seriously. He is either not being truthful or he's a huge drama queen.

Nothing except threat of death - or serious injury or illness - would make me get off a cruise ship in the middle of a cruise.

Nothing at all.

On the other hand' date=' I'd NEVER book a brand new ship during it's inaugural season. Too many glitches, too many kinks, not "settled in"......

I'll wait until the new has worn off and the little problems are fixed first.[/quote']

Im with you on that Your on a vaction If anyone has been on a cruise they know it wont be perfect but to get off early???????

He had three complaints. Long lines, kids playing in the hallway, and not being able to get his precious Corona in a bottle. He even admitted the food was good. I went on the Victory once at spring break and the ship was packed with very long lines. It isn't enough to do something so drastic as to ruin your vacation by flying home. I can't take the poster seriously. He is either not being truthful or he's a huge drama queen.
if long lines is how we judge everything, shouldnt disneyland have gone out of business years ago????? yes, the lines there suck, but it is the funnest place on earth right?...sometimes you just have to overcome those obstacles...I highly recommend breaking your leg one week prior to going like I did...front of the line for everything....

Im with you on that Your on a vaction If anyone has been on a cruise they know it wont be perfect but to get off early???????

I guess you just cant win on here.

If the OP had stayed on the ship the whole week and then came on here complaining about the cruise everybody would be saying, "If it was so bad why didn't you take CCL up on their guarantee?" :rolleyes:

Bill

Yes, you read it right. We was on the Christmas cruise this week and asked if we could get off in St. Thomas and they said yes. They refunded unused portion of cruise and they flew us back to Orlando. I know what people say about one persons opinion, but everyone I spoke to on the cruise were just as unhappy. This was my 5th cruise on Carnival so I know what they are about, but they just don't get it on this one.

First off let me say, if you are thinking of getting a spa cabin, don't waist your money. You can buy it when you get on and so many people did just that. We were told when we went on the spa tour that they would sell only 40 extra spa passes to passengers that didn't have access. Now having said that, they have went above and beyond with the spa. It is wonderful, until they sold so many day and week passes that yo could not enjoy any of it.

The food was good, when you could get it. All you've read about the lines are true. I went on board knowing what I've read on here about lines, and they are true. The worst thing was they have other lines in the gathering, (that what it's called) but knowing it would be crowded like when you get back on board from island first thing you do is go eat, most of the time, went back there and 2 lines open and 3800 people trying to eat, not going to work. Pizza is good, when you could get it. Poor guy worked in there by himself and he couldn't keep up.

And if you have a cabin on the 12th floor, kids running all day on the floor above back and fourth to the slide. If you wanted some quite time in your room during day, forget it. The design of the ship, they were not thinking. On lido were you line up for burgers and dogs the mens restroom is right there and you had to walk thru the line to get in and out.

And for all you Corona beer lovers. They will not give you a bottle anywhere on the ship. They pour it in a plastic cup on deck which I understand, but in all bars as well. Was told it was a safety issue then told it was a recycle issue, (like I was gonna throw my bottles over board.

Anyway, I know most people aren't gonna like what I've said here. Maybe they will figure it out at some point. Like Carnival, but will Not go back on the Dream!!

Cruisenut1966,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

I have read of others who wished to disembark after invoking the vacation guarantee could not do so in St Thomas because St Thomas is not a 'non-U.S. port of call.' Did anyone mention that clause to you or did they just hustle you off the ship? It was nice of Carnival to allow you to bend the guarantee to your favor.

CLICK HERE FOR VACATION GUARANTEE

We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we guarantee it. Carnival is the only cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee*. Simply book your cruise vacation and sail away on a "Fun Ship." If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.

I know I have reported some of the posters on this thread who feel it is their right to make rude remarks to the OP for no apparent reason than to be in full attack mode on OP....I hope the reports go noticed...because of of this snarkiness and rudeness is getting so very repititious. Absolutely no reason to act this way to other human beings for any reason!!!

All I can say is ditto to everything! I was on the same cruise and had the same feelings...

I tell you what... you can have your brand-new fancy ship and all the bells and whistles... mixed in with 5,000 people youd rather not be in line with.

I'll be happily on the smaller ships... like the Liberty. Did I just say Liberty was small? Sorry, I meant UN-Crowded!

We were on Miracle last month, and while it was mostly a wonderful cruise, the dining experience (except for lunch and dinner in the MDR) was a total fiasco. I can only expect the Dream and her Oasis-like sisters will only multiply the "cattle at the trough" effect of dining.

Ill be dreaming of a Carnival cruise, but DEFINITELY not on the Dream or any other similar ships which are built. Well, at least until the 10,000 passenger "Milky Way Class" vessels start to sail. :D

I know I have reported some of the posters on this thread who feel it is their right to make rude remarks to the OP for no apparent reason than to be in full attack mode on OP....I hope the reports go noticed...because of of this snarkiness and rudeness is getting so very repititious. Absolutely no reason to act this way to other human beings for any reason!!!

I agree.

I agree.

Hi G....I tried to ignore this, but just can't believe how some out here in CC land can be so mean to people they have never met, just because they have an opinion, I hope Cc gets a handle on this soon, but until then I will try not to wander too far from my "safe place" where everyone is awesome;):D

Who cares if he got off early? That's what the vacation guarantee is for. As much as people like to say that "any day on a cruise ship is a better day than at home," a cruise can be UNenjoyable for whatever reason. Give the judging a rest.

Hi G....I tried to ignore this, but just can't believe how some out here in CC land can be so mean to people they have never met, just because they have an opinion, I hope Cc gets a handle on this soon, but until then I will try not to wander too far from my "safe place" where everyone is awesome;):D

The Cheerleaders out there think Carnival can do no wrong. I have been on enoughe Carvinal cruises and I know Carnival can do wrong.

BTW It would have taken a lot to invoke the vacation quarantee. I wonder what were the other issues.

:confused: " We was on..."

I think I'll just bite my tongue on this one, and hope it wasn't written by a voting, child rearing adult.

I wish I could go one day without seeing someone correct someones grammar errors on Cruise Critic:mad: Do you have nothing better to do??????

It says in the cc rules do not point them out!

I wish I could go one day without seeing someone correct someones grammar errors on Cruise Critic:mad: Do you have nothing better to do??????

It says in the cc rules do not point them out!

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Just try to think of your next cruise, going to the mustard drill without having to take your vest, the good food in the dinning room, and the wonderful stewarts who will make towel animals for you.:)

Bill

On the other hand' date=' I'd NEVER book a brand new ship during it's inaugural season. Too many glitches, too many kinks, not "settled in"......

I'll wait until the new has worn off and the little problems are fixed first.[/quote']

This is the truth, We booked Splendor on the maiden trip, 12 days of broken down everything. We learned that we will never book a new ship. We were prepared for the staff to be green and not used to working with each other but we could not believe that brand new coffee and juice makers and ice cream makers would break down on a new ship so soon.

If the OP had stayed on the ship the whole week and then came on here complaining about the cruise everybody would be saying, "If it was so bad why didn't you take CCL up on their guarantee?" :rolleyes:

Bill

Pretty funny huh? The cheerleaders can't have it both ways......can they?

It's sad really.

It's getting ridiculous around here lately. If someone post anything negative they are shredded tp pieces with insults and name calling.:mad:

Bill

It amazes me how emotionally invested folks are in their respective cruise line. You would think this was a sports team website with all the fandom.:rolleyes:

Bill

That's exactly my first reaction, and the Maritime Cabotage restriction issue was my second.

Thank you for using the "Report Post" triangle icon wherever appropriate. The moderators are generally pretty quick to respond. If enough of us who are fed up with the latest trend in CC "culture" follow suit, maybe we can make a difference.

Archived