Promenade Deck Rooms? Volendam

kwar

We have been assigned a room on the lower promenade deck. Has anyone ever had a problem with these rooms. We do not shut our curtains and wonder if people strolling the deck will be able to see in and how will our view be out, as we paid for full window/unobstructed view. Never had a room on a walking deck before. Please tell me it is GOOD.

Welcome to the CC!

There have been reports that at night, with the cabins lights on, curtains open, one could see into the outside cabins on the Lower Promenade. You might also want to close your curtains because the (bright) lights of the LP will be on all night.

Good Luck -

Welcome to the CC!

There have been reports that at night, with the cabins lights on, curtains open, one could see into the outside cabins on the Lower Promenade. You might also want to close your curtains because the (bright) lights of the LP will be on all night.

Good Luck -

The windows have a coating that makes them appear mirrored from the outside so during daylight you can see out but no one can see in. However, as Mary Ellen points out, if the light is stronger inside then people can sometimes see in if they are close to the window.

We were on the deck on the Amsterdam.

During the day soemone would have to stand right up against the window and cap their eyes to keep light out too see in - even then it isn't very clear.

At night you will have to keep your curtains closed because everything will be visible from outside if you have any lights on. If you haven't done it yet your cabin steward will draw them closed when he does the turn down service.

We have been assigned a room on the lower promenade deck. Has anyone ever had a problem with these rooms. We do not shut our curtains and wonder if people strolling the deck will be able to see in and how will our view be out, as we paid for full window/unobstructed view. Never had a room on a walking deck before. Please tell me it is GOOD.

If you like to keep your windows open and did not want to be on the promenade deck you should never have taken a guarantee, but picked a specific stateroom.

Two years ago on the Veendam we chose this deck Cat C. This was before the changes. We loved the convenience of just walking down the hall and going right out on to which ever side of the ship we wanted to be on. Yes, you do want to have your curtains closed at night, but during the day we never felt we had anyone looking in at us. It was also very convenient to the atrium and this became our meeting place with our friends who were traveling with us. Nice chairs to sit on and wait for someone.

We liked this deck so much we have now booked it (same category) for our Volendam cruise this summer in Alaska.:)

The biggest downside to the outside cabins on Lower Promenade is that they are smaller than the outsides on Main Deck; as a matter of fact, they are smaller than the insides across the passageway.

The desk is much smaller, and so is the vanity in the bathroom.

At night I liked keeping the sheers drawn, but the heavy draperies open. It let in just enough light to find my way if I had to get up in the middle of the night.

I think you have to be really trying to look into a stateroom on any of the Promenade Decks (with your eye literally pasted to the window) to be able to see in.

I posted this description of a Ryndam Stateroom this morning from RevNeal: Quote "Ryndam: Outside D-Category Cabin, 421, Lower Promenade Deck, aft-facing Stateroom. 421 is wider than a normal cabin. The bathroom is small but useable. There is plenty of closet space. The view out and aft is very nice, indeed. And, from the outside, it's very difficult to see in." Unquote

Here are a couple of photos to show the view from outside and from inside, so you can get a better view:

http://abqreunion2008.com/Ryndam/RevNeal_D-421-11.jpg

http://abqreunion2008.com/Ryndam/RevNeal_D-421-10.jpg

Joanie

With the external Lower Promenade Deck lights on at night, one has to cup one's eyes and put your nose up to the window to see inside ... even with lights on inside. At least, that was the case on the Ryndam in May. Try as I might, I couldn't just look in from the outside and see inside my cabin, even at night.

Archived