Jumping Ship?

Hblanton

Sorry in advance if this topic has been covered - I searched but didn't find.

Does anyone know if the lines have specific policies allowing or disallowing early departure from a cruise?

This is the scenario - I am looking at a Transatlantic cruise this Spring. The trip is 2 weeks long. After about 9 days it hits its first European port. Ideally, I'd get off at this first port and not get back on the ship. The reason is that I love the crossing (both for the relaxation and as a way to get to Europe without flying and the attendant jetlag) but don't like port-hopping. I'd rather save the last 4 days of the trip and use the time for the ground portion of my holiday.

I know that people who miss a boat have to travel forward to catch up with the ship at a later port, or forfeit the vacation. And since I pack very lightly I suppose I could get my and DH's gear off of the ship and just "walk away." But that seems dishonest, and I'd have to square up with my tab regardless. What I would prefer is to just be upfront and "check out" once we get to the first port and just have me and the ship go our separate ways.

Is this allowed? How could it be prevented? I mean, you are allowed off the ship and allowed to bring items off the ship, right? Would they charge you some sort of "penalty" for early departure? On the one hand it doesn't make sense as I'd still be paying for my cabin, food, etc. On the other hand, I know they would rather keep me onboard since booze, gambling and other revenue is so important to the lines? Does anyone have any specific knowledge on this, or know where I might go to look (besides calling the line of course.

Thanks and happy holidays,

HLB

You should check with the cruise line. First, it must be determined if it is legal to debark in a port. Often, arrangements must be made for customs and immigration to clear you. You would not get any discount on the cruise for exiting early.

Sounds like you may want to check with Cunard for their spring schedule of transatlantic crossings.

From Southampton UK you will have quick and easy transport to the continent via Eurostar from London or a cross-channel ferry.

BTW, I have done a few US-Europe repositioning cruises, and many of the American and European passengers disembarked at whatever European port was convenient to their destination, so it is possible. But, as earlier stated, this should be arranged with the cruise line prior to booking.

I did something similar about ten years ago on a cruise/crossing on the QE2. I boarded in NYC and we then were supposed to be going to Madeira...but a fishing boat had a life threatening injury to one of its crew and we were the closest ship so had to go to the rescue...caused us to skip Madeira. As I recall we stopped in the Azores, Lisbon, LeHavre and finally Southampton. Since I was heading for Paris I decided it would be much easier if I got off in LeHavre a day early and take the train to Paris. I notified Cunard that this was my plan before I even booked and there was no problem...just left the ship a day early and went on my way!

I got off my transatlantic cruise a day early, to stay in England. I had to contact the cruise line, they had a specific department that handled these requests, it is common. But you do need clearance with the ship. I was not charged a penalty for leaving early, of course no refund either.

If you buy a soda card, the only option is to pay as if you were on board the entire cruise. Any way to postpone your flight back and just spend some extra days in euorpe post cruise? It seems a waste to pay for 4 cruise days that you will miss.

Useful info, thanks all. I've emailed the line (Celebrity) to ask about this and a couple of other questions and I'll let you know what they give as their "final answer."

Re: a few of the earlier posts - I would be looking to depart (ideally) in Le Havre. It isn't that I have to fly home right away - just the opposite. I'm planning on a month in Eastern Europe after the cruise. Unlike most transatlatnics this happily makes no stops in the Azores or other Atlantic isalnds (we've been there 4 or so times and don't particularly enjoy.) It makes landfall in Le Havre which is great, but again we dont' take group tours or the like and its a long trip in and back to Paris. If we say on an alternative would be to rent a car and go to Normandy, as I have seen the D-Day beaches but my wife (whose fathre and uncles were involved in the battle) has not.

The ship then goes to Dover, then Rotterdam and finally Bremen. Dover and Rotterdam are proxies for London and Amsterdam respectively, and while I love both cities, I've spent months in London and a decent amoutn of time in Amsterdam, and the point of this trip is to go places we haven't been before (Berlin, Poland, Prague, etc.)

So essentially I'm looking to use the cruise as transportation. We love crossings for the peace and quiet. I usually read at least a book a day on crossings which is a great luxury. While Celebrity has phased out organized bridge play, they have indicated that on crossings (this one inlucded) they will continue the practice. DH doesnt' play, but playing a few hours of duplicate is another of my guilty pleasures when crossing the ocean.

Since I am rambling, there are a few other reasons I look for these trips. DH and I have been on about a dozen cruises, but are not "normal" cruisers. Indeed, our friends are appalled that we do this (they expect us to go RVing next.) I know this sounds snobby and I'm sorry abou tthat, but its just a matter of expectations and different strokes for different folks. We live in San Francisco and travel a decent bit. I would never cruise for example for the food. We ar enot fussy eaters and have enjoyed dining on every ship we've taken, from Carnival and NCL to 2 weeks on Regent Seven Seas Voyager. Its all been tasty enough and some things (like freshly made breads) have been genuinely good. But truthfully I've never had a meal on a ship that is anything like a quality modern restaurant.

On the other hand, if you have the time to spare and enjoy some quiet time, there is no better way to get to Europe than a ship. Coming from San Francisco Western Europe is an awful 9 hours away. As I've gotten older my rebound time from jetlag gets worse and worse. So now when I fly to say Milan I not only have to alot a fully day for travel, but I have to expect that for the first 3 or 4 days over there I'll be nearly useless, and I'll be affetted for a full week. Going by ship lets me nibble away at the time difference an hour at a time and I arrive fully good to go on local time. Its a miracle! Like a time machine.

Someone suggested I look at the QMII on Cunard instead, and indeed there is an Easterly crossing around the same day. But I really don't want to cruise Cunard. I'm not a fan of cruise tradition, and clearly the QMII is the most traditional - dare I say stuffy - of the ships out there. I know people like their formal seatings and Cherries Jubelie, (sorry for my spelling!) but it all strikes me as a tad silly.

I know that Celebrity is more towards the formal side of the continuum (much more so than the more upscale Regent but go figure) and I'll have to work around that. We dont' "do" formal nights, so we'll just eat in the buffet or have room service (or even better, go to bed early!) those nights. Hopping off in Le Havre would also probably let us skip one of the formal nights, limiting it to 2 or 3 for the trip.

The really amazing thing about all this is that these crossings can be such good deals (we went Westerly from Barcelona to NYC on a new ship to Manhatten) for about $50 a night in a nice balcony. So the idea of paying for a few nights that we dont' use doesn't bother me at all. Business Class fare from the US to Berlin is a few thousand dollars. Even a basic balcony cabin is well beyond Business Class so the way I see it I trade a bit of time and travel in massivly greater comfort. Oh Joy!

But, as the original posting showed, I'd be happier if I were able to limit this cruise to 9 nights instead of the full monte. As I've said, I've put in a queary to Celebrity to see if this is Kosher and I'll let everyone know the result. Fingers crossed.

Sorry for rambling on so. I'm actually pretty psyched about this trip if I can get off early so I've gone on a bit.

All the best,

HLB

I know that Celebrity is more towards the formal side of the continuum (much more so than the more upscale Regent but go figure) and I'll have to work around that. We dont' "do" formal nights, so we'll just eat in the buffet or have room service (or even better, go to bed early!) those nights. Hopping off in Le Havre would also probably let us skip one of the formal nights, limiting it to 2 or 3 for the trip.

You should know that Celebrity does not offer a regular buffet for dinner. They have limited offerings in the buffet area (made-to-order pasta, salad bar and pizza), and then the remainder of the buffet is set for "casual dining". Casual Dining is a seated, served dinner that is much less formal than the MDR with a different menu. There is an extra gratuity ($2 per person) as the servers are waiters-in-training. They try very hard but sometimes there are bumps in the road!

We love Casual Dining and always enjoy eating there. But didn't want you to think you would be eating in the buffet on formal night. This is a much nicer alternative for those who don't want to dress up.

Thanks for the clarification. We took Celebrity once previously but it was a very short (3 day SF to Vancouver) repositioning cruise on the way to a very fun looking gay cruise in Alaska so there was no formal night. I had looked at the website and wasn't entirely clear about the "casual" dining but your post made it crystal clear (oh, wrong line.) Thanks.

Sorry in advance if this topic has been covered - I searched but didn't find.

Does anyone know if the lines have specific policies allowing or disallowing early departure from a cruise?

This is the scenario - I am looking at a Transatlantic cruise this Spring. The trip is 2 weeks long. After about 9 days it hits its first European port. Ideally, I'd get off at this first port and not get back on the ship. The reason is that I love the crossing (both for the relaxation and as a way to get to Europe without flying and the attendant jetlag) but don't like port-hopping. I'd rather save the last 4 days of the trip and use the time for the ground portion of my holiday.

I know that people who miss a boat have to travel forward to catch up with the ship at a later port, or forfeit the vacation. And since I pack very lightly I suppose I could get my and DH's gear off of the ship and just "walk away." But that seems dishonest, and I'd have to square up with my tab regardless. What I would prefer is to just be upfront and "check out" once we get to the first port and just have me and the ship go our separate ways.

Is this allowed? How could it be prevented? I mean, you are allowed off the ship and allowed to bring items off the ship, right? Would they charge you some sort of "penalty" for early departure? On the one hand it doesn't make sense as I'd still be paying for my cabin, food, etc. On the other hand, I know they would rather keep me onboard since booze, gambling and other revenue is so important to the lines? Does anyone have any specific knowledge on this, or know where I might go to look (besides calling the line of course.

Thanks and happy holidays,

HLB

You don't just walk off a ship. You get permission in writing from the cruise line.

Archived