code red?

maxmia

Have a number of cruises before, now booked on HAL have never heard of code red. Can someone please explain. I think it means some sort of transmitted infection, but because of DH's health, I really want to know!:confused:

It is usually because of norovirus and is called after a certain amt. of cases are reported. All it means is to take precautions. The ship stops any food handling by passengers, salt and pepper shakers are taken away, food is put on a plate by staff in Lido, Purell is used constantly for washing hands, all areas constantly touched (rails) are washed etc. Computer keyboards are cleaned after use also. Those who are infected are quaranteened to their rooms.

We have been on quite a few ships that either were in Code Red when we got on or went into Code Red during the cruise.

On all cruises, besides what was mentioned above, the pools were closed, whirlpools closed, spa closed, library closed and even many activities were cancelled so that people didn't come into contact a lot with each other.

In the bars you will not automatically be given peanuts or gold fish -- you have to ask for them -- then you usually only get half a container -- no waste. Also we did not have hot appetizers.

I avoid touching hand rails and use kleenex to push elevator buttons. I also keep Purell in our bathroom.

I have never been in code red but I always use either my Purell or theirs whenever I see it. Also never directly touch the elevator buttons and try not to hold the rails directly but after I do, especially after the lifeboat drill, I immediately wash my hands. On our recent Noordam cruise, I never heard anyone even coughing or sneezing. As far as I know, we did not have any emergency departures on the islands. The Statendam did have an ambulance at the ship just before we set sail.

Here is what I can come up with on what exactly is Noro Virus (which is what causes the ships (and other places to go under Code Red and other color codes mandated by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control in the USA)

What are noroviruses?

Norovirus is a virus that causes the "stomach flu," or vomiting and diarrhea, in people.

What are the symptoms of illness caused by noroviruses?

Norovirus illness usually begins 24 - 48 hours after exposure, but can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure. Symptoms usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramping. Sometimes people have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness is usually brief, with symptoms lasting only 1 or 2 days.

How serious is norovirus disease?

Norovirus disease is usually not serious, but people may feel very sick. Most people get better within 1 or 2 days, and have no long-term health effects from the illness. Sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replace what they lose from vomiting and diarrhea, and they can become dehydrated and need to see a doctor. This problem usually occurs only among the very young, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems.

How is norovirus spread?

Noroviruses are very contagious and spread easily from person to person. The virus is found in the stool and vomit of infected people. People can become infected in several ways, including eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated by infected food handlers, touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then touching their mouth before handwashing, or having direct contact with another person who is infected and then touching their mouth before handwashing. Outbreaks also have occurred from eating undercooked oysters harvested from contaminated waters - cooking kills the virus. Drinking water contaminated by sewage can also be a source of these viruses. Persons working in day-care centers or nursing homes should pay special attention to children or residents who have norovirus illness. This virus can spread quickly in these places.

How long are people contagious?

People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least three days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as two weeks after recovery. Therefore, good handwashing is important. Persons infected with norovirus should not prepare food while they have symptoms and for three days after they recover. Infected people do not become long-term carriers of norovirus.

Who gets norovirus infection?

Anyone can become infected with these viruses. Because there are many different strains of norovirus, norovirus infection and illness can re-occur throughout a person's lifetime.

What treatment is available for people with norovirus infection?

Currently, there is no specific medication or vaccine for norovirus. Norovirus infection cannot be treated with antibiotics. By drinking fluids, such as juice or water, people can reduce their chance of becoming dehydrated. Sports drinks do not replace the nutrients and minerals lost during this illness.

Do infected people need to be excluded from school, work or daycare?

Since the virus is passed in vomit and stool, children should not go to daycare or school while they have diarrhea or vomiting. Once illness ends, children can return to daycare, but handwashing must be strictly monitored. Persons who work in nursing homes, take care of patients, or handle food should stay out of work until at least three days after symptoms end.

Can norovirus infections be prevented?

You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by:

• Frequent handwashing with warm water and soap
  • Promptly disinfecting contaminated surfaces with household chlorine bleach-based cleaners
  • Washing soiled clothingand linens Avoiding food or water from sources that may be contaminated
  • Avoiding food or water from sources that may be contaminated
  • Cooking oysters completely to kill the virus

Hope this helps

Joanie

Unfortunately many people do not follow the guidelines -- which we have gotten in our cabins when the ship is in Code Red.

In 2002 we were at a table of 4 -- the wife of the couple sitting with us for dinner got the Noro virus. She stayed in the cabin for 3 days as required. He did not -- he said that he refused to be confined to the cabin for 3 days. We kept praying that we wouldn't get sick.

Besides keepig a bottle of Purell in the bathroom, I also carry a small bottle in DH's back pack for whenever we leave the ship.

If it helps, I have been on DOZENS of ships and have always used every single purell dispenser I pass... even if I pass by 3 on the way to my destination, I'll use all 3. I also practice good hygeine before I eat and when using restrooms. (You know, stuff your mom taught you when you were 3 :D)

I have never been ill on a ship.

Adding up all cruises (all cruise lines) we've sailed, we have well over 700+ days and only once have I gotten Noro. It was on Veendam with a horrid outbreak years ago. We are very careful about washing and purell dispensers and not touching handrails and the like. All it takes is one small slip such as holding the dinner menu that might not have been thoroughly wiped by the steward. Have a dinner roll which is customarily held by fingers and whammo.... Sure I washed after using the restroom; sure I used the purell as we entered the dining room but then I pulled my chair into the table when I sat down, I held the dinner menu. Were my hands still clean?

We had dined with the Hotel Manager at our table the night I became ill. I was fine at dinner. We went to Ocean Bar for a cognac. Said good night to HM and we went to our cabin. DH went to sleep. I was reading and wham....... out of nowhere I was sick. Thankfully DH didn't get it and I was fine withint 24 hours.

Who knows how or where I got it? Impossible to say.

(Thankfully, the Hotel Manager didn't get it. :eek:)

Got it on my first cruise. I was behind someone who was boarding after a shore excursion who got sick in front of me. If I knew what I know now, I would of not touched anything he did, reported him, and washed my hands, face and other exposed areas immediately.

Archived