Cruise to "hell" on costa fortuna

annejoejarocki@gmail.com

I don't think Realperson's number of posts and criticisms are an issue here. It's the way he presented them, using vulgar language and accusing others who did not agree with him with more vulgar and offensive terms. Anyone who can't express himself without resorting to these means should not be on the forum. There was another one several weeks ago who thankfully has dropped off.

What constitutes Vulgar language and Offensive Terms.........Come on now everyone, we are all adults and all these words are in the dictionary. I think people need to stop being precious (both sides... not picking on anyone in particular). To make comments on someone's choice of language and it wasn't swearing (unless i missed something) is just ridiculous.

I am happy to hear everyone's opinions because when I go and prepare for the worst I am pleasantly surprised.

I have been on Costa recently, and agree with a few comments, but everyone has a different experience and that is what this board is all about.

• 3 weeks later...
i was solo on this cruise and do not agree with all of the negative comments. the ship was beautiful and the staff more than helpful. the cruise staff always had fun activities, dance lessons, etc going on and they had xmas carols and santa with gifts for the kids on xmas day. the entertainment--for the most part--was good including an outstanding Itallion tenor and the costa singers/dancers. i did not care for the elton john imitator but many folks did.

the food was pretty standard fare for costa. most folks seemed to truly enjoy themselves....as did I. a cruise is what you make it, IMHO.

I've always found it very amusing when I read such negative reviews of a cruise myself and the OP was on, and I never ever had such a bad experience or saw anything close to what is being described happening on the same cruise.

I've always found it very amusing when I read such negative reviews of a cruise myself and the OP was on, and I never ever had such a bad experience or saw anything close to what is being described happening on the same cruise.

And if you'll notice, the OP on this thread is one of those infamous one-time posters who vomit out ultra negative comments on the cruise they supposedly took. Unfortunately the one-timers know how to use a highly provocative title for their thread which draws others to post pro or con comments and the thread goes on and on. Of the OP however, not a further word (at least with that user name).

Only one post! Maybe it was the Italian comment that had the cruise mafia paying the OP a visit.

This is the classic "I didn't get a towel animal or a chocolate on my pillow - so I hate Costa and will tell the world so".

So about everyone sending the OP (ID is email address :D) asking how like they like cruising Italian style.

Ron

• 8 months later...

I traveled with my husband, my mother I law and a friend, we did the Eastern Med on Costa Fortuna the second week of October. The boarding was slow but our luggage arrived at our cabin quickly. Except for mother’ in law, she had to called 10 times to get it and her air conditioning was not working….not a good beginning, the ship clean and very well decorated. The Michelangelo Restaurant for our evening meals were ok, and sometimes no good at all. No shrimp, lobster or smoke salmon anywhere – cheap and very small portions, our waiter Allen Ong was excellent.

We found the excursions very expensive and decided to do it ourselves. Bari: everything is in walking distance and not much to do there. Santorini, you could take the lift EU4 per person each way, and you can take a taxi (approx. EU15 each way) or also a public bus EU1.60 per person. Don’t miss Oia, it’s located at the end of the island and it’s so worth it! Don’t take the donkeys to go up, they leave “smelly gifts” all the way up.

Katacalon (Olympia) you don’t have to take the tour, Rent a car EU45 for the day plus EU10 for gas. Ask for Dionysios Diplas Katakalo rent a car, diplas@rentacarkatalalo.gr , www.rentacarkatakalo.gr . You drive for 40 minutes and you will reach Olympia. For lunch go to Aegean Cafeteria Restaurant, George Georgiadis will recommend an authentic Greek dish you will enjoy.

Rhodes, also walking tour….….just walk and you will find everything you need. There are a few internet café and with EU0.50 cts you can connect back home for 15 minutes.

Going back to the ship…….Smoke, smoke & more smoke…..how much a European can smoke! There was no place where a nonsmoker could be at peace, also the Europeans don’t make lines; they cut anywhere they think is ok. RUDE! The shows at the Rex were ok, nothing to write home about.

Expensive: everything was vastly overpriced and poor value for money (a Bacardi & coke was 7.30€ +15% service charge so 8.10€ in total!)

Their idea of the late buffet it’s something they call pizza, but for me it was only bread with tomato paste and smell of cheese…..hahaha . Breakfast: was always the same. At the buffet we ate pasta a couple of times; one was beyond “al dente” and the other time was overcooked. Some of the Supervisors were rude and the officers not even greet the passengers. Normally, you can see the captain at least once in a week trip but we never saw him.

In other words, WE WILL NOT GO BACK ON A COSTA CRUISE!

I will be on a TA on Fortuna in November. Bambola's compaint was that they did not see the Captain and the pizza was no good?

Europeans smoke more than Americans and they do not line up head one behind another..

As for Officers not greeting pax- how does that ruin a cruise? More importantly, why not just greet the Officer in Italian. Italians are friendly people.

If I am missing something, please tell me.

That does not mean that all is peaches and cream with Costa. As others have said on various posts, their customer service from HQ or other offices really sucks. That will not take away from my cruise one bit!!!

Comparing how much one pays nowadays to cruise with Costa (there are winter cruises in the Med starting at 299 Euros) and the size of the cabins and all the public rooms on board (look back 25 years on the same company and they had quite a name but offering much less), I always feel is good value for money. It is not going to be at Cunard or HAL level (not at those prices) but it is better than one can find on similar price level.

For those who want lobster, first class entertainment, captain's greetings and all the rest, they should pay for it, and there are plenty of premium cruise lines in this world. For those who shop for a bargain they should be content that the cabin is clean, the ship is nice and safe and there is food (and always plenty of it)

The pax profile has changed dramatically... the old Canberra, flagship of P&O then, had cabins without toilet or shower and he pax were all happy. Nowadays all cabins have all the modcons and some pick on silly details... As far as the journey was safe, the food was edible, and there was entertainment, enjoy the best you can because there are more than a billion people in this world who cannot even dream of going on a cruise

Based on Bambola's various admonitions including the warning about the innocent donkeys in Santorini, her travel focus is remarkable. Avoiding animals that defecate and Europeans in general is an interesting way to narrow one's travel opportunities.

I must take issue with her suggestion that Americans on cruise ships form lines. If given the slightest opportunity with no assigned numbers, cruisers of all nationalities crowd in from all sides, every man for himself, women and children last. Like with the donkeys, **it happens. I was bumped nearly off my feet and almost trampled on my way into a Midnight Chocolate Buffet on Norwegian.

By whom? By my perfect, line-forming, non-smoking, super-size portion eating... fellow Americans. And now that I think about it, horror of horrors, I do not recall seeing the captain on that cruise ship. I wonder where the man was hiding. I can't speak to Bambola's experience of sending multiple dishes back to the kitchen with demands to speak personally with the chef as dinner is being served to hundreds. I've never even witnessed such a thing. The whole scene reminds me of that lovely little movie A Good Year where the female American tries to order bacon bits on a salad in Provence and is ordered to leave the restaurant and given directions to the nearest McDonalds.

I don’t understand why some people are so critical of others that post unfavorable reviews of Costa. (Capri & GMT) I’ve been on 4 Mediterranean Costa cruises and had a great time on all of them. It was different being in the minority and took some getting used to.

The idea of waiting in line is a bit foreign to many Europeans. Smoking was the norm. Breakfast was a joke (unless you like cold cuts). Food overall wasn’t that good. And, you better eat when you get the chance because once meal time is over, you don’t have much of a choice. Speedo bathing suits are common. Entertainment always seemed to involve men dressing up like women. We got chastised for laughing in line waiting for a tender. Some Irish hothead said we were being obnoxious Americans. We thought he was kidding and we laughed it off but he wasn’t amused and scowled at us every time we saw him after that.

We didn’t complain about things because it was just the way it was. It’s the Italian version of Carnival. I wish I would’ve understood Italian because I’m sure I missed out on many of the activities. That’s my fault, not theirs. There were only a few dozen pax that spoke English as their first language.

2cruiseagain--The concern is that these one-post wonders like Bambola and AnnieJoe claim to be cruisers but then all they do is post one time with a major slam against a reputable cruiseline. Bambola is located in Miami. Rather than start a new post, she digs out an old one out of the archives and sounds just as irrational as the mysterious AnnieJoe. Miami is the headquarters for several cruiselines including RCL, a major competitor of Costa. All rank speculation on my part but who knows when the poster launches a nuclear attack with just one post. Nothing before or after. Corporate sabotage can and does occur in boards like this. You on the other hand are obviously an experienced cruiser who offers a more balanced post. Frankly, I'm like you, I prefer a more American breakfast but then there are other great things in Europe that you never get in the U.S. Like lots of men in Speedos:) Sounds like you rolled with the differences and still had a great time on your four cruises with Costa.

I don’t understand why some people are so critical of others that post unfavorable reviews of Costa. (Capri & GMT) I’ve been on 4 Mediterranean Costa cruises and had a great time on all of them. It was different being in the minority and took some getting used to.

The idea of waiting in line is a bit foreign to many Europeans. Smoking was the norm. Breakfast was a joke (unless you like cold cuts). Food overall wasn’t that good. And, you better eat when you get the chance because once meal time is over, you don’t have much of a choice. Speedo bathing suits are common. Entertainment always seemed to involve men dressing up like women. We got chastised for laughing in line waiting for a tender. Some Irish hothead said we were being obnoxious Americans. We thought he was kidding and we laughed it off but he wasn’t amused and scowled at us every time we saw him after that.

We didn’t complain about things because it was just the way it was. It’s the Italian version of Carnival. I wish I would’ve understood Italian because I’m sure I missed out on many of the activities. That’s my fault, not theirs. There were only a few dozen pax that spoke English as their first language.

I think those of us that criticize posters are not defending Costa, but rather the posters complaining of things that have nothing to do with Costa.

1) Passengers not speaking English

2) NO comedians

3) Europeans like to smoke

4) The line was slow at immigration

5) My plane was late

6) The alcohol on board is expensive

7) Italians don't wait on line

8) The Italian pizza had almost no cheese

ETC etc

I read these reviews to decide if Costa would be a cruise I would like. Having to read thru endless complaints of things that are either NOT COSTA or NOT THE WAY WE DO THINGS IN USA is a waste of my time.

Your saying that you had a GREAT time on 4 cruises is helpful. Being chastised by an Irish pax is NOT Costa.

Thanks for your post.

annejoejarocki Welcome to Costa 2011.We have just returned form the Pacifica to Israel and I agree the standards of Costa have slid over the precipice.We are Pearl members of the Costa club with several trips under our lifejacket to form a honest appraisal of Costa's current perfomances. The crew attitude was one of "Iam doing my job" full stop.Complaining to the officers is a waste of time , their response was a shrug of the shoulders and walking away.One waitress when asked to fill an empty milk jug replied" NO the line is closed" and carried on picking up plates. I asked a lead waiter to designated another waitress. who disappeared into the kitchen never to be seen again.

Smoking was allowed indoors and on all outside areas, even throwing cigerettes ends over the side was acceptable.The Italian/European attitude to children seems to be , Iam on holiday let the little"darlings" run riot.The teenagers were generally lacking in manners and persistantly copied the adults "Iam first Jack" attitude.Queueing is an anathema to them, even when "lines" are designated.Getting into a lift is an experience on its own. the pushing and shoving that went on was madness.The entertainment was pure European cabaret style, singers(?)magicians,jugglers,dancers Spanish and others,acrobats/gymnasts.The best part was the 60 second cartoons played by the Cruise Director at the end of the show, now that says something. The only pervading reason we go with Costa is they go to places no one else goes, but even that excuse is wearing thin now, as we have nearly everywhere there is to go, 40 plus cruises with a variety of companies, perhaps we are cruised out??

I always rated Costa as quite good in most areas but now they are on par with Carnival-yuk.

Our next trip is with P&O in Dec, the comparision should be intersting

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on the Atlantica twice. First time was great. Enjoyed it immensely. Second time, the mix of passengers seemed very different...very rude. I've been to Italy many times, so this is not anti-Italian bias. After the second time, we decided not to return to Costa....however, we are scheduled with them again due to a desired itinerary, leaving shortly on the Serena. Wish us luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with 2cruiseagain. I sailed with Costa (my first cruise ever) last April. We're Americans but have lived in Germany for 3 years-so I think that better prepared us. It seems in our experiences Italians have a more favorable view of Americans than Germans do (or at least they act like they do). Italians seem to be more friendly towards us-they push in line just as much as Germans but they do it with a smile :) It use to drive me crazy (the nonqueing) but I just roll with it and elbow my way up along with them. As long as you avoid the lifts at dinner you'll be OK. Europeans are starting to get fat too (just like those in the states), it's only a matter of time before they catch up. As Americans stopped smoking they started getting fatter-they same will happen here. McDonald's are everywhere here and Europeans love it (the lines are always long). We are scheduled for 2 MSC cruises next year but those boards are boring so I came back to the fun Costa boards!!!!! I think most American's would like a cruise on Costa as long as they are well informed before hand. Some people you are just not going to make happy no matter what (American or not).

• 5 weeks later...
Given the guidelines on this forum, it doesn't make sense that the orginal post from AnneJoe was ever allowed to remain. Calling a Costa performer a "gay" "overweight" "pervert" is so terribly mean. It could be quite hurtful if the entertainer saw the post.

The OP of this thread, Annejoerock, was the classic "one post wonder" who enters a provocative title, blasts the cruise line, and then blissfully retires to leave it to us to comment or wonder how much of it is true. Instead of just leaving it die, members keep coming back on the thread with a comment or two, so just about every month now for over a year we have to see that hell cruise title keep coming up. Personally I think that the OP's post is fraudulent but that's just my opinion. Note that this thread remains her/his/their one and only post on cruise critic. Tells you something...

Archived