Flying in on the day of your cruise

DAllenTCY

Re.: Small purse. This will not be the case on Friday when I fly into the US from Canada. I'm going to be carring an over-the-shoulder beach size bag (12 x 18) complete with: Tickets, passport, wallet, meds, camera (SLR size) and a folding cane. As you can see, these few items will not fit in a small purse. God, grant me patience at Security and US Customs:)

I'm pretty sure you will be ok with that. There is a poster on CC that I email off this board. She phoned Air Canada and mentioned that her purse was on the big side. They were ok with that. My "travel" purse sounds like yours. I plan to take it in Feb. if these rules are still in place. I wish you luck. Please let us know how it goes if you remember and you don't mind.

The CATSA website, and its info on the "temporary measures"

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=77&pname=measures_mesures&lang=en

U.S.A. bound passengers are permitted zero carry-on bags effective immediately and lasting for several days. Passengers travelling within Canada are still permitted two carry-on bags (although to make the screening process most efficient, fewer carry-on items is preferred).

These rules will be strictly enforced during this period. There will be no flexibility.

Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, diplomatic or consular bags, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, medication or medical devices, musical instruments, or any special needs items.

I am SO planning on wearing a jacket with LOTS of pockets. That'll free up space in my purse. Totally upset about having to wear my winter boots all the way to Florida, and carry my winter coat once we land.

I must say, though, this is somewhat less stressful than the H1N1 outbreak we had to deal with on our early spring cruise to Alaska. No info, and all the worry about whether we'd be let back into Canada, or if the borders WOULD close, and whether or not we'd end up in quarantine in some warehouse somewhere, or stuck in some US port. We developed a BUNCH of scenarios -- none of which included staying on the ship and spending the summer cruising for free :)

I'm pretty sure you will be ok with that. There is a poster on CC that I email off this board. She phoned Air Canada and mentioned that her purse was on the big side. They were ok with that. My "travel" purse sounds like yours. I plan to take it in Feb. if these rules are still in place. I wish you luck. Please let us know how it goes if you remember and you don't mind.

Thanks for the info from AC. Maybe I'll include my bathing suit rolled up in one of those clear compression bags. I'd hate to have to start shopping for a bathing suit if case my luggage doesn't arrive.

Thanks for the info from AC. Maybe I'll include my bathing suit rolled up in one of those clear compression bags. I'd hate to have to start shopping for a bathing suit if case my luggage doesn't arrive.

I don't even want to think about my luggage getting there:eek:. I don't think the other pax would want to see me in my bathing suit all day:D.

I don't even want to think about my luggage getting there:eek:. I don't think the other pax would want to see me in my bathing suit all day:D.

C'mon now -- let's not turn this into a bathing suit thread 'cuz then we're goin' down the road to "Speedo" discussions :D

I'm pretty worried about my luggage not getting there, too. Someday I'll share allllllllll my "separated from my luggage" stories :( For years, I'd travel with carry-on only. Even now, my carry-on has enough clothes for a few days, so I'm assured of HAVING clothes. Trying not to obsess, trying not to obsess, trying not to obsess.

Am taking as much luggage as I can find, and d*mn the extra charges -- the hope is that at least one or two pieces will get to the port!

The last thing on my list will be my bathing suit -- I'd rather have clean underwear :)

Feel free to talk about me any time at all LK :D

Am taking as much luggage as I can find, and d*mn the extra charges -- the hope is that at least one or two pieces will get to the port!

The last thing on my list will be my bathing suit -- I'd rather have clean underwear :)

That's what I think about generally taking 2 pieces of luggage. One should make it there. I may end of taking 2 pieces for the 7 day cruise in Feb. if things are still the way they are now. Seems like a lot...but I could always take 2 small ones.

I'm like you....I like to obsess.

A definition of "small purse" from the Calgary Airport website, and other permitted items:

December 29, 2009

Effective December 26, 2009, enhanced screening procedures in place for U.S. bound passengers

Direction from Transport Canada:

U.S. bound passengers are not permitted to bring carry-on items on board aircraft. Carry-on baggage does not inlude:

small purses (25 cm x 30 cm x 4 cm or less Or 10 inches x 12 inches x 2 inches)

cameras

coats

items for care of infants

laptop computers

diplomatic or consular bags

crutches

canes

walkers

containers carrying life sustaining items

medication or medical devices

musical instruments

or special needs items

from here:

http://www.calgaryairport.com/Default.aspx?cid=512&lang=1

The above bolding is mine.

I gotta go purse shopping, I guess.

A definition of "small purse" from the Calgary Airport website, and other permitted items:

from here:

http://www.calgaryairport.com/Default.aspx?cid=512&lang=1

The above bolding is mine.

I gotta go purse shopping, I guess.

Lovely...my everyday purse fits that but not my travel purse. Hope this BS is going to be over soon. My wallet takes up half my purse. Looks like I'll need to bring only what is necessary and nothing else. Oh....I'm going to have to bring 2 suitcases now for the 7 day cruise. Glad to see because of this we will all be safe flying now:rolleyes:.

If this trend continues, that is making commercial flying more and more difficult, it will really hurt the industry.

On the other hand, it might be a boost for Amtrak, VIA, and Greyhound, for short to middle distance trips. And for auto highway travel in general.

And it should make 'homeport' cruising, that is more and more cruising from the nearest port more popular than flying to a cruise.

Lovely...my everyday purse fits that but not my travel purse. Hope this BS is going to be over soon. My wallet takes up half my purse. Looks like I'll need to bring only what is necessary and nothing else. Oh....I'm going to have to bring 2 suitcases now for the 7 day cruise. Glad to see because of this we will all be safe flying now:rolleyes:.

What a pain this is!!!! If I do away with a wallet and carry my money and cards in a baggie, I just might make do with a small purse to hold meds, passport, tickets etc. I wonder what my husband will do for his necessities---carry one of my purses???:eek: Of course that may be a way to get another purse along on the trip without packing it.:)

This rule only applies if we are flying into the US from Canada so if modifications are not made to this rule, I can foresee Canadians driving down to the nearest US airport to fly to their US destinations in larger numbers than they already do. We are driving four hours to Halifax in June to get a direct flight to NYC but if the flight were not already booked, we would drive three and a half hours to Bangor, Maine to fly from there. Then we could have a carry-on bag. When you think about it, it is quite silly. Just carry the bag you are not supposed to have across the border and then you are suddenly allowed to have it on a plane. It is the same bag, whether checked by US Customs and security in a Canadian airport, or checked by US security in an American airport.

Hopefully by the time we leave for San Diego in April the powers that be will have something in place that works better for all concerned than the emergency measures currently in place.

I'm now in a panic. My "tote bag" which I packed last night ONLY contains my travel docs and wallet, meds, camera (SLR) and a folding cane. And it's bursting at the seams and is way bigger than the dimensions noted for a "small" purse. I'm going to be one stressed flyer tomorrow.

I'm now in a panic. My "tote bag" which I packed last night ONLY contains my travel docs and wallet, meds, camera (SLR) and a folding cane. And it's bursting at the seams and is way bigger than the dimensions noted for a "small" purse. I'm going to be one stressed flyer tomorrow.

I wish you luck and I'm so glad I'm not flying until Feb. I hope you will be ok. They say life sustaining meds are exempt but how do they think you are supposed to carry them. Hmmmm.....lets see...is there room in my underware?

What a pain this is!!!! If I do away with a wallet and carry my money and cards in a baggie, I just might make do with a small purse to hold meds, passport, tickets etc. I wonder what my husband will do for his necessities---carry one of my purses???:eek: Of course that may be a way to get another purse along on the trip without packing it.:)

This rule only applies if we are flying into the US from Canada so if modifications are not made to this rule, I can foresee Canadians driving down to the nearest US airport to fly to their US destinations in larger numbers than they already do. We are driving four hours to Halifax in June to get a direct flight to NYC but if the flight were not already booked, we would drive three and a half hours to Bangor, Maine to fly from there. Then we could have a carry-on bag. When you think about it, it is quite silly. Just carry the bag you are not supposed to have across the border and then you are suddenly allowed to have it on a plane. It is the same bag, whether checked by US Customs and security in a Canadian airport, or checked by US security in an American airport.

Hopefully by the time we leave for San Diego in April the powers that be will have something in place that works better for all concerned than the emergency measures currently in place.

The thing that really bugs me is that this is not universal. If you are flying within the US...no problem....take the carry on. If you are flying into the US...no carry on. If things don't change there is no way I'll be driving to the US to get on a plane. I'll be vacationing in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. I am committed to the cruise in Feb. and April but after that I could easily be cancelling. I think I read somewhere that men can take a small backpack...whatever that means. I think I would enjoy the sight of Ken carrying a purse :D although I don't think he would be as amused.

I wonder what my husband will do for his necessities---carry one of my purses???:eek:

Sales of man purses may sky rocket! :D

That's the thing with irrational measures! So you can't get up an hour before landing on some flights, but how is that much different form getting up 1 hour and 5 minutes before landing? :confused:

:confused:

The cane doesn't have to be in the purse. The way I read that cameras, meds, medical devices etc. are additional items to a small purse. But how is one suppsed to carry those items other than in a bag?!.

Further details I found:

Temporary emergency measures include no carry-on bags to U.S.A.

Effective immediately, CATSA is implementing temporary emergency measures at security checkpoints under the direction of Transport Canada. These measures are in response to a failed terrorist attack on board an aircraft from Amsterdam to Detroit on December 25, 2009. These new measures will affect all flights from Canada to the United States.

U.S.A. bound passengers are permitted
zero carry-on bags effective immediately and lasting for several days.
Passengers travelling within Canada are still permitted two carry-on bags (although to make the screening process most efficient, fewer carry-on items is preferred).

These rules will be strictly enforced during this period. There will be no flexibility.

Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as
small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, diplomatic or consular bags, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, medication or medical devices, musical instruments, or any special needs items.

(My emphasis added)

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=77&pname=measures_mesures&lang=en

I think that procedures and rules will settle down over the next few weeks. I did three trips in the last week of November/first two weeks of December. My perception was that the security process was higher than normal, especially at Peason Airport. The line ups were longer, and the lines moved much slower than usual.

It is easy to criticize the new security measures, but it helps to remember exactly what the would-be bomber was trying to do.

I am guessing that the last hour measures deprives the bomber from causing to plane to plummet down to the ground over US soil. I would not call this an irrational measure, but rather a measured response.

igraf

Boytjie[/i]]

That's the thing with irrational measures! So you can't get up an hour before landing on some flights, but how is that much different form getting up 1 hour and 5 minutes before landing? :confused:

So many security measures are reactive (even sometimes knee-jerk) rather than proactive. How can the "last hour measure" prevent a bomber from detonating a device over US soil on a plane enroute from Heathrow to LA?

Exactly.....if it made some sense I don't think people would mind. It's pretty hard to defend what they are doing now....but some will still try. I don't feel one bit safer with these rules.

It is easy to criticize the new security measures, but it helps to remember exactly what the would-be bomber was trying to do.

It is easy to criticize because they make no sense. It's pretty hard to defend that. Do we need help to remember what the bomber was trying to do:confused:.

I am guessing that the last hour measures deprives the bomber from causing to plane to plummet down to the ground over US soil. I would not call this an irrational measure, but rather a measured response.

igraf

A flight from Amsterdam to San Francisco would be over US territory for much longer than the last hour. The hour rule is still irrational.

Raising a flag when someone pays cash for an international flight with no luggage checked - that would be a rational security measure. ;)

The thing that really bugs me is that this is not universal. If you are flying within the US...no problem....take the carry on. If you are flying into the US...no carry on. If things don't change there is no way I'll be driving to the US to get on a plane. I'll be vacationing in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. I am committed to the cruise in Feb. and April but after that I could easily be cancelling. I think I read somewhere that men can take a small backpack...whatever that means. I think I would enjoy the sight of Ken carrying a purse :D although I don't think he would be as amused.

I am sure he would be happier with a mini-knapsack. At least we won't have this silliness to contend with when we go to Cuba in March. We have a direct flight booked from Halifax to Varadero and will be able to have a carry-on. It will probably be the last enjoyable flight we have for a while.

Archived