Found ring 12/23/2009 Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Commandrea

While on our stopover at Georgetown, I happened to find a woman's ring on a table the little food stand serving turtle stew, conch stew, fish escoviche, etc. nearby the port.

The problem is that while I was on the Voyager of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), there were a couple of other ships, including Carnival, at the port with us so the ring could have belonged to someone on any of the cruises. Also, it could belong to someone from Georgetown, but I am hoping that it did belong to a cruiser. It looks sentimental and I am on a mission to find its owner.

If you know anyone who lost a woman's ring while on the 12/23/2009 stop at Georgetown, please email me at Commandrea@gmail.com-

I will need a detailed description, but as a guide, there are hearts on the ring.

I will repost this on other threads. Please help spread the word.

While on our stopover at Georgetown, I happened to find a woman's ring on a table the little food stand serving turtle stew, conch stew, fish escoviche, etc. nearby the port.

The problem is that while I was on the Voyager of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), there were a couple of other ships, including Carnival, at the port with us so the ring could have belonged to someone on any of the cruises. Also, it could belong to someone from Georgetown, but I am hoping that it did belong to a cruiser. It looks sentimental and I am on a mission to find its owner.

If you know anyone who lost a woman's ring while on the 12/23/2009 stop at Georgetown, please email me at Commandrea@gmail.com-

I will need a detailed description, but as a guide, there are hearts on the ring.

I will repost this on other threads. Please help spread the word.

How very thoughtful!

Hope you find the owner!

While you did what you thought was right, you should have just turned it in where you found it or to the local police. That would have been the thoughtful thing to do. Sorry, but there's no guarantee that it even belonged to a cruiser. I'm amazed how many people feel they are better than the authorities to handle lost and found items. I know this has been discussed on other threads, but it still probably will never make it's way back to the owner since such a very small percentage of cruisers read or have even heard of CC.

I hope you find the owner too. Maybe you could let the Georgetown police know you have it so they could direct any inquires to you. I probably would have turned it in at the store I found it at but then later would have wondered if they were honest people or would have just kept it themselves.

Good intentions. Bad execution. You should have turned the ring in and left it to the proper authorities to handle it. Or just left the ring where you found it. Perhaps the rightful owner backtracked? What are you going to do with the ring if it's not claimed? I think you should send it to the Georgetown police.

My first thought when I read your post was that it probably belonged to someone "working" at the table. Maybe she took it off to wash or clean her hands and laid it on the table and then forgot to put it back on. Did you even inquire at the table or just pick it up and assume it belonged to a cruise passenger?

Good intentions. Bad execution. You should have turned the ring in and left it to the proper authorities to handle it. Or just left the ring where you found it. Perhaps the rightful owner backtracked? What are you going to do with the ring if it's not claimed? I think you should send it to the Georgetown police.

I seriously doubt if the ring was just left where it was found that the original owner would have gotten it back [perhaps with the restaurant owner maybe]. While turning it in to the police may have been better than taking it, I can't imagine that the police would make any effort to find it's lawful owner. Most likely, the owner does not expect to find the ring, but it sounds like the OP is making a great effort to reunite the ring.

Good luck!

I seriously doubt if the ring was just left where it was found that the original owner would have gotten it back [perhaps with the restaurant owner maybe]. While turning it in to the police may have been better than taking it, I can't imagine that the police would make any effort to find it's lawful owner. Most likely, the owner does not expect to find the ring, but it sounds like the OP is making a great effort to reunite the ring.

Good luck!

Let's see, you're eating at a fast food restaurant at a truck stop on I-95 in suburban Maryland and you find a ring at your table. Based on the logic above, the best way to find its rightful owner would be to get on a trucker's bulletin board as opposed to turning it into the restaurant or security/police?

Too many variables. The ring could have belonged to a restaurant worker, a Georgetown resident, a tourist who flew to Grand Cayman for a vacation, a business traveler and yes, a cruise ship vacationer. It's like a needle in a haystack.

To take the ring from the establishment with no certainty of finding the owner is frankly, stealing.

PLEASE NOTE: Although the OP claims there were several ships in port that day, including Carnival, the OP's only effort to "find" the owner of the ring was on this RCI board. :confused:

I'd like the OP to answer my initial question... What is he/she going to do with the ring if no one from a Cruise Critic board claims it?

My personal opinion is that the OP is trying to justify keeping the ring. How sad. :(

PLEASE NOTE: Although the OP claims there were several ships in port that day, including Carnival, the OP's only effort to "find" the owner of the ring was on this RCI board. :confused:

I must correct myself... OP did post same on Carnival board. Costa was also there... 10,835 pax in port.

While you did what you thought was right, you should have just turned it in where you found it or to the local police. That would have been the thoughtful thing to do. Sorry, but there's no guarantee that it even belonged to a cruiser. I'm amazed how many people feel they are better than the authorities to handle lost and found items. I know this has been discussed on other threads, but it still probably will never make it's way back to the owner since such a very small percentage of cruisers read or have even heard of CC.

And I'm just sure the local police would return it to the owner if asked about it. NOT. I turned in a camera I found on a bench in Hawaii. On the bench, I left a note that it had been turned in to the police with my e-mail address on it because I took out the memory card. I left my e-mail address with the camera as well as a cell phone number telling them to contact me for the memory card. The owner went to the police, note in hand, described the camera. They bought out a few el cheapo cameras but not theirs. They e-mailed me and asked the description of the camera I turned in which, indeed, was theirs. They were very happy I had the memory card for them.

I think the poster is doing the best he can under the circumstances. I doubt that 95 percent of people finding the ring would do any more than pocket it.

Tucker in Texas

And I'm just sure the local police would return it to the owner if asked about it. NOT. I turned in a camera I found on a bench in Hawaii. On the bench, I left a note that it had been turned in to the police with my e-mail address on it because I took out the memory card. I left my e-mail address with the camera as well as a cell phone number telling them to contact me for the memory card. The owner went to the police, note in hand, described the camera. They bought out a few el cheapo cameras but not theirs. They e-mailed me and asked the description of the camera I turned in which, indeed, was theirs. They were very happy I had the memory card for them.

I think the poster is doing the best he can under the circumstances. I doubt that 95 percent of people finding the ring would do any more than pocket it.

Tucker in Texas

I can understand how you feel, and you were very smart about the memory card. However you're making assumptions that the police in Grand Cayman would pocket the ring.

It also just goes to show that people who "lose" something may back track their steps to find their lost item.

I think that the OP is in that 95% that will pocket it if the "needle in the haystack" isn't found.

Let's see, you're eating at a fast food restaurant at a truck stop on I-95 in suburban Maryland and you find a ring at your table. Based on the logic above, the best way to find its rightful owner would be to get on a trucker's bulletin board as opposed to turning it into the restaurant or security/police?

Too many variables. The ring could have belonged to a restaurant worker, a Georgetown resident, a tourist who flew to Grand Cayman for a vacation, a business traveler and yes, a cruise ship vacationer. It's like a needle in a haystack.

To take the ring from the establishment with no certainty of finding the owner is frankly, stealing.

I'd like the OP to answer my initial question... What is he/she going to do with the ring if no one from a Cruise Critic board claims it?

My personal opinion is that the OP is trying to justify keeping the ring. How sad. :(

Hey dude- Are you seriously on here spreading hate when I'm doing my best to help? It was a last minute find, just before we got back on the boat- no time to file a police report with the Georgetown authorities...

The table was one of two, outdoors, near the water. There was no 'establishment'. It was a food stand, not some tourist trap restaurant. How about reposting this elsewhere and helping instead of wasting your time speculating on how I'm probably just trying to keep the ring? If I wanted to keep it, I would have just put it in my pocket and done nothing, right? Really...sheesh!!!

And for everyone else's info I have emailed the Cayman authorities, posted on other cruise forums, emailed the cruise companies RCI, Carnival, and Costa- any others in port that day? Any other ideas? I really am trying here...

I hope you find the owner too. Maybe you could let the Georgetown police know you have it so they could direct any inquires to you. I probably would have turned it in at the store I found it at but then later would have wondered if they were honest people or would have just kept it themselves.

I just wrote to the GC police dept.-- good idea! And unfortunately, the table we ate at was more like an outdoor picnic table, not inside a restaurant. We ate some takeaway from a food stand nearby. I really feel like I was meant to find the ring and try to find it's owner. It looks like it's been worn for a long time...

Did you contact the restaurant? I stayed in GC for a week in a condo, so we went into town and ate at some of the restaurants. Perhaps they had someone contact them looking for the ring? I hope you can find the owner.

I wish it would have been that easy! This place had no name...just a little outdoor food stand. I do wish I could get ahold of them somehow...maybe if someone goes back they can ask one of the owners if they still have the stand there??

I can't speak for Commandrea and her motivations, but if I find something of value, I certainly do NOT hand it over to a stranger. Not the police, not a business owner, nobody. Why? Because I know the chances of any of those people being as honest as I am are very slim. If it's something identifiable and has a likelihood of being sought by the owner, then it's much more likely to make it back to the owner if I handle it. I assume that if I hand it over to someone else it would probably go right in their pocket (or on their finger, whatever).

And I just checked Google with the search terms "lost ring caymans" and Commandrea's post is the top result, as she said, so I don't know what else you could ask for. You can't buy that kind of exposure. That's like screaming from the highest mountain for the owner to claim her lost ring. I say if THAT doesn't get it back to the owner, then she SHOULD keep the thing. She likely could have bought a better one with less effort.

The problem here is that the op and at least one or two others assume they are better than the authorities. Once you turn it into them, your conscience is clear and you have done the right thing. What they choose to do is not your concern at that point. Making assumptions that they won't find the owner makes you feel good, but doesn't really accomplish anything. Fact is, OP has probably found a ring to keep. Regardless of the op's motives, the decision was a very poor one as the owner will likely NEVER be found this way and justifying the action by making it sound like you're more trustworthy than anyone else to me is just arrogant.

The problem here is that the op and at least one or two others assume they are better than the authorities. Once you turn it into them, your conscience is clear and you have done the right thing. What they choose to do is not your concern at that point. Making assumptions that they won't find the owner makes you feel good, but doesn't really accomplish anything. Fact is, OP has probably found a ring to keep. Regardless of the op's motives, the decision was a very poor one as the owner will likely NEVER be found this way and justifying the action by making it sound like you're more trustworthy than anyone else to me is just arrogant.

You hit the nail directly on the head. :)

Back about 10 years ago, my DH & I went to Labadee on a RCCL ship. There was only 1 RCCL ship there that day. My DH carried only his cruise card & $100 cash & he put them in a small zip-lock bag to keep them from getting wet. Somehow it fell out of his pocket. After we realized the loss, we back tracked to the beach where we had spent most of the day. While we were desperately looking around, a fellow passenger came up to us & told us that her 7-year old son had found the bag with the card & the cash in it & they had handed it over to a staff from RCCL. We reported it to the Purser desk back on the ship & an hour or so later, they called us to pick up the "lost item". Unfortunately, all that was left in the bag by then was the cruise card; no cash. We wish that the lady who found it just kept it & gave it to us back on the ship.

Back about 10 years ago, my DH & I went to Labadee on a RCCL ship. There was only 1 RCCL ship there that day. My DH carried only his cruise card & $100 cash & he put them in a small zip-lock bag to keep them from getting wet. Somehow it fell out of his pocket. After we realized the loss, we back tracked to the beach where we had spent most of the day. While we were desperately looking around, a fellow passenger came up to us & told us that her 7-year old son had found the bag with the card & the cash in it & they had handed it over to a staff from RCCL. We reported it to the Purser desk back on the ship & an hour or so later, they called us to pick up the "lost item". Unfortunately, all that was left in the bag by then was the cruise card; no cash. We wish that the lady who found it just kept it & gave it to us back on the ship.

Similar thing happened to me over the Summer on Carnival Freedom. DH dropped our digital camera on the bus from a shore excursion. Another couple on our ship saw it at turned it into the purser's desk. We ran into her at dinner and she told us that she turned it in. We went to the pursers desk together (with the claim slip they gave her) and the agent said it was never turned in. After I made it clear that she has the slip precisely because she turned it in, my camera materialized in about 5 minutes.

Archived