Found ring 12/23/2009 Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Commandrea

brnibaby, please don't hesitate to ask on CC, for every few negative comments to ones post sometimes, there will be 20 + who will respond & do their best to answer your question and assist you. I am one who refrains from getting into an argument on CC, yet at times have spoken up and pointed out, that we were all new to CC and to cruising at one time and needed assistance. It is so much better to look at the good in people then be negative.

Happy New Year to you and everyone here on CC

brnibaby, please don't hesitate to ask on CC, for every few negative comments to ones post sometimes, there will be 20 + who will respond & do their best to answer your question and assist you. I am one who refrains from getting into an argument on CC, yet at times have spoken up and pointed out, that we were all new to CC and to cruising at one time and needed assistance. It is so much better to look at the good in people then be negative.

Happy New Year to you and everyone here on CC

Unfortunately there are people on forums that like to STIR THE POT, and then see what kind of turmoil they can create. I do a lot more reading than posting on CC because of these people.

Happy New Year and cruising.

Commandrea - for the record, if I had left this ring and you'd found it, I'd want you to do exactly what you did!

And, if I'd never seen the ring again, I'd be much happier thinking that another fellow traveler like you had it than thinking it was sitting in a lost & found box somewhere or (worse) was on the restaurant owner's wife's/policeman's wife's/crew member's family member's/etc finger!

I hope the owner is found. But if not, you have definitely done everything you can to help them find it. Karma is an incredible thing. And in my book, you've got good karma on your side! Kudos!

Honestly, if this had been me, I probably would've just left it there, because it's a lot easier to NOT do something than to actually go to the effort that the OP is. If OP wanted to just steal the ring, why come on all these boards and ask if anyone lost it? We wouldn't know that she had it, right? Seriously...It's easy to say from the comfort of our glass houses what we definitely would've done in this situation, but we don't know unless it happens to us. If it were my ring I'd be really grateful that someone was out there trying to reunite me with it. I hope this works out.

How strange! A few of us have a different opinion from the moral majority on here (the ones who think only their point of view is valid.) Suddenly, according to some posters, and others are quick to pile on, we are all bashing and attacking and everyone is negative. :(

I'm one of the few on here who thinks differently about the topic than the majority and I am offended by your attacks on me and my opinion.

Kudos, for the OP for doing what he thinks is the right thing, I just disagree with what his opinion of the right thing is.

By removing the ring from where it was - made it much more difficult for the owner to retrieve it if she realized 5 minutes later her ring was missing.

Because of the nature of forums like this one - we will all be treated to stories of dishonest business owners, pursers, cruise staff employees and local police; but will rarely hear about the more normal event of the items being turned and and restored to the owner with no problem.

I still say that the odds of the owner reading CC or any of the one or two other places the OP placed their notice, are slim to none. I work with a lot of people who have cruised (I know personally about 25) and I am the only one who has ever heard of CC and they are all very computer literate, they just dont' spend time surfing the net. The "effort" to get this back to the owner was NOT the OP's responsibility and the end result is probably 99% that the OP now has a new ring (and no I don't think the intention was to "steal" the ring) and the owner will never be found. Just because OP thinks they did the right thing doesn't make it so. And, I'm still amazed that so many individuals think they are better equipped to handle someone else's lost item than authorities are.

Beth & Rob, this is not about being negative, it's about poor handling of the situation. As I said above, the odds of the owner reading ANY of those places she posted are very slim. I never said she wasn't honest, did I? I just don't agree with taking something, thinking that by finding it, someone knows better than the authorities how to handle it. If you lost something, wouldn't you backtrack and check everywhere you'd been and not go out searching on an obscure board. It's been said something like 1% of cruisers use CC, so how does that constitute the "better" way to handle it?

Archived