Explorer's Lounge After Dinner?

sail7seas

I was just thinking about the flame desserts they used to serve in Explorer's Lounge. Been a long time since I have noticed them? Do they still serve them after dinner?

(I also remember when they flamed desserts tableside each night in the Dining Room and then when they moved the cart to the front wall and delivered crepes suzette or cherries or bananas or 'flame' of the night.)

I was just thinking about the flame desserts they used to serve in Explorer's Lounge. Been a long time since I have noticed them? Do they still serve them after dinner?

(I also remember when they flamed desserts tableside each night in the Dining Room and then when they moved the cart to the front wall and delivered crepes suzette or cherries or bananas or 'flame' of the night.)

We often stop at the Explorer's Lounge after dinner to enjoy the music and have an after dinner drink....and I've not seen flamed desserts served.

Haven't been on HAL in several years but do they still serve those delightful truffles after dinner in the Explorer lounge? Also, if open flame desserts are no longer done on board, do they still do the baked Alaska parade? How about the Dutch night in the dining room?

Just booked a HAL Christmas cruise for next year and I apoligize in advance for the numerous questions I will be posting in the next year.

Haven't been on HAL in several years but do they still serve those delightful truffles after dinner in the Explorer lounge? Also, if open flame desserts are no longer done on board, do they still do the baked Alaska parade? How about the Dutch night in the dining room?

Just booked a HAL Christmas cruise for next year and I apoligize in advance for the numerous questions I will be posting in the next year.

Last time I was on Maasdam, May 2007, you had to be in Explorer's Lounge at the right time, as soon as they put the chocolates out, they were devoured.:D

Last time I was on Maasdam, May 2007, you had to be in Explorer's Lounge at the right time, as soon as they put the chocolates out, they were devoured.:D

Okay, looks like I will have to practice up on my stalking techniques!;););)

I must have starting my cruising career after the flamed dessert's. I have never seen them. I do however remember when the Explorer's Lounge had the very best white chocolate! Just returned from the Noordam and the Explorer's Lounge only had after dinner drinks. It was lovely! BTW- Sail- When we arrived back at Ft. Lauderdale this past Monday, guess who was there behind us? The elegant and lovely MS Maasdam! We really wanted to just go board her! The MS Noordam is a lovely ship but the MS Maasdam seems to just call out our name's!

We enjoyed flaming Spanish coffee in the Explorer's Lounge a few weeks ago on the Westerdam. The server commented that they were not allowed to serve flaming drinks in the recent past, but are now offering them again. The Adagio Strings were in fine form and we enjoyed many happy hours (no pun intended) listening to the quartet.

Last year I ordered the baked Alaska in the Pinnacle. The waiter became distracted after he lighted mine and the thing really started to burn. Next I knew four deck officers cam running into the Pinnacle because a fire alarm went off on the bridge. I think I'll stay away from flaming deserts in the future!

The Adagio Strings were in fine form and we enjoyed many happy hours (no pun intended) listening to the quartet.

On my last cruise (Zuiderdam) I spent many pleasurable hours in the Explorer's Lounge listening to the string quartet. Does anyone know which string ensemble is currently performing on the Noordam?

Last year I ordered the baked Alaska in the Pinnacle. The waiter became distracted after he lighted mine and the thing really started to burn. Next I knew four deck officers cam running into the Pinnacle because a fire alarm went off on the bridge. I think I'll stay away from flaming deserts in the future!

I can report something similar. A bartender in the Crows Nest on a recent cruise was making a flaming drink X 2. (It was Happy Hour) He was standing under a smoke detector, though, and before you could say, " Jack Rabbit," someone from the bridge had come to check. The bartender joked that he was now fired. I hope it was a joke:eek:

Seriously though, doesn't the mere thought of open flames on a ship give you the jumps? It does me.

Seriously though, doesn't the mere thought of open flames on a ship give you the jumps? It does me.

Yes, NOW it does. Back a number of years, never thought anything of it :) And oh the cherries jubilee and the crepes suzette.... yummy! :) I'd rather forego the flaming desserts in favor of safety, though.

Thanks, everyone. I was starting to think I had become really 'unobservant'. We always have late dinner and I remember walking past Explorer's Lounge after dinner and seeing them serve flamed desserts and thought I had become so accustomed to seeing it, I stopped noticing.

I must have starting my cruising career after the flamed dessert's. I have never seen them. I do however remember when the Explorer's Lounge had the very best white chocolate! Just returned from the Noordam and the Explorer's Lounge only had after dinner drinks. It was lovely! BTW- Sail- When we arrived back at Ft. Lauderdale this past Monday, guess who was there behind us? The elegant and lovely MS Maasdam! We really wanted to just go board her! The MS Noordam is a lovely ship but the MS Maasdam seems to just call out our name's!

Hope you had a great cruise. Welcome back.

Would make my heart go flutter to see Maasdam and Noordam one beside the other.

How would I choose?!!! :eek: A Mom can never pick a favorite child!! :) We so love both those ships and their crews.

We noticed on our recent Oosterdam that after dinner the Explorer's Lounge had a cart with coffee carafes and a line-up of liqueur bottles with some stemmed glasses etc.

Was this meant to be for fee or complimentary? We did not see anyone use anything off this cart. Hate to think we passed up a chance to have a free Kahlua Coffee. Please advise. Thanks.

Both the Explorer's Lounge and Cafe are our favorite on board stopping areas. The Oosterdam E loungue was particularly pretty with its sparkly white Christmas decorations this time of the year.

We noticed on our recent Oosterdam that after dinner the Explorer's Lounge had a cart with coffee carafes and a line-up of liqueur bottles with some stemmed glasses etc.

Was this meant to be for fee or complimentary? We did not see anyone use anything off this cart. Hate to think we passed up a chance to have a free Kahlua Coffee. Please advise. Thanks.

Both the Explorer's Lounge and Cafe are our favorite on board stopping areas. The Oosterdam E loungue was particularly pretty with its sparkly white Christmas decorations this time of the year.

There are no free drinks in the Explorer's Lounge.

We have seen that cart set up on all HAL ships -- they are trying to get you to buy an after dinner cocktail while you listen to classical music.

On September 08 volendam the baked Alaska At the master dinner was not flamed. The stewards carried green glow sticks and waved them. We were in the protected waters of College Fjord .

On September 08 volendam the baked Alaska At the master dinner was not flamed. The stewards carried green glow sticks and waved them. We were in the protected waters of College Fjord .

In the main dining room for the last couple of years on all the ships the Baked Alaska parade has been done with the glow sticks.

It is only in the Pinnacle where they still flame it since it is a small portion.

It would seem that the desserts that you mention here are rarely seen now, I suppose for good reason. I don't doubt that there are safety issues, but I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with fewer supervisory positions in the dining room as well. Maybe the Asst. Managers, a.k.a. 2nd Maitre Ds are just too pressed for time?? The table side prep took a lot of time as I recall.

But! I love these desserts and order them when I can, that's for sure. I've had them in the past year or so, although they were prepared in the kitchen.

On my last cruise (Zuiderdam) I spent many pleasurable hours in the Explorer's Lounge listening to the string quartet. Does anyone know which string ensemble is currently performing on the Noordam?

On our Dec 11 Noordam cruise the Quartet was from Hungary. Very talented. They played Liszt and Viennese music in addition to the usual. :) I have no idea how long they will be on the Noordam. Salzburg

Thanks, Salzburg. I've heard good things about that Hungarian quartet. Hope they are still there in March! :) When I was on the Zuiderdam last year, there was a quartet from Romania (The Tempos, I think). They were quite good - had a superb cellist.

Glow sticks? I remember sparklers and that was kind of fun. But glow sticks? That has got to be such an exciting presentation. Glow sticks and baked Alaska.

Honetly, I understand the safety concerns of flaming deserts. But to try to recreate a tradition with glow sticks - which really do not look like the blue all over flame - seems like a waste of money to me. Just serve me a slice of the baked Alaska and forget the glow stick.

It would seem that the desserts that you mention here are rarely seen now, I suppose for good reason. I don't doubt that there are safety issues, but I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with fewer supervisory positions in the dining room as well. Maybe the Asst. Managers, a.k.a. 2nd Maitre Ds are just too pressed for time?? The table side prep took a lot of time as I recall.

But! I love these desserts and order them when I can, that's for sure. I've had them in the past year or so, although they were prepared in the kitchen.

Don't go on the Zuiderdam-- no flaming desserts!!

No crepes, no bananas foster, nothing!!

DH has had crepes suzette during the last year on one cruise or another but they brought it from the galley. I don't think they even use the cart off to the side they used for a while. If they successfully served crepes and flaming desserts for decades, I think there must be another reason they are no longer prepare them in the dining room or Explorer's Lounge. Too bad. I never ate them but I know a lot of other folks enjoyed them.

I thought it possible they still prepared these desserts in Explorer's Lounge and that is why I asked.

Thanks everyone.

Archived