Payment of onboard account

potterduck

I hope this is going to make sense!!

We're booked on IOS next summer. How do we settle the onboard account, does it have to be by credit card, the cruise is out of the UK so will it be in Sterling or US $.

I do have a prepaid card (fairfx) with about $600 on it, could this be taken from the bill, then the rest paid with another UK credit card?

I would use the credit card to "set up" the account...nothing is actually charged to the credit card until the END of the cruise. On the last night, go to the desk, pay in cash, debit, gift card....however much you want, and the balance will be charged to your credit card.

So, yes, you can pay in different methods.

I would use the credit card to "set up" the account...nothing is actually charged to the credit card until the END of the cruise. On the last night, go to the desk, pay in cash, debit, gift card....however much you want, and the balance will be charged to your credit card.

So, yes, you can pay in different methods.

No, you can not pay with a prepaid card or a gift card.

On Board Accts need to be paid either with a Credit Card or Cash. If you have a Credit Card established for your cruise, then all your charges are billed and at the end of your Cruise, your final statement will show a $0. You can during your cruise as mentioned, check your balance with the desk and if you like, pay cash to reduce your overall balance at the end of the cruise. If you wish to set a limit for your cruise and pay cash, then pay your onboard charges that way. I believe under a cash system they set a $500 limit, meaning when you reach that, you need to pay off then you have another $500 limit. Since we haven't done this, I could be wrong and will be corrected.

I don't know if this is an option available in the UK or not. Someone else please help!

Can you use the prepaid card to buy yourself a gift card from the RC website? You can then call RC with the gift card number and apply it as OBC for your cruise. Once the OBC is used up, you can pay the balance with your UK credit card.

I used a Visa gift (prepaid) card to buy myself an RC gift card and it semed to work out. I asked RC to send me a receipt showing the gift card had been applied for OBC. I won't know for certain whether the OBC is there until I get on Serenade next month, but at least I have a receipt showing it is supposed to be.

BTW: There have been several complaints from people outside the US who requested that RC not convert their onboard charges from US$ to the credit card currency because RC's exchange rate is higher than what the credit card uses. Apparently you can request that RC bill your credit card in US$ and allow the CC to make the conversion, but RC doesn't always follow your request. Something to think about.

Archived