Question on Oasis layout

CAdreamin'

I have read a few negative reviews about the layout of the Oasis as far as lack of ocean view from the dining room/restaurants and the pool area, that it is more of a resort feel than a ship. For those who have cruised on her already, do you feel this is true? Or will we feel like we're on a ship? The main reason we cruise is to be on the water, not to feel like we're at a resort! Please be as descriptive as possible. We may change our cruise based on the answers we receive.

Thank you!

CA Dreamin'

I have read a few negative reviews about the layout of the Oasis as far as lack of ocean view from the dining room/restaurants and the pool area' date=' that it is more of a resort feel than a ship. For those who have cruised on her already, do you feel this is true? Or will we feel like we're on a ship? The main reason we cruise is to be on the water, not to feel like we're at a resort! Please be as descriptive as possible. We may change our cruise based on the answers we receive.

Thank you!

CA Dreamin'[/quote']

It's true that there are places on the Oasis that you can not see the sea! BUT, IMHO, there are plenty of places to see the sea. There is not nearly the view of the sea that you get on a Radiance class ship. I see you were on VY and you probably could say the same thing if you choose not to see the sea. By all means if you want to feel like you are on a ship then book a conventional balconey. The "inside" balconeys, including the Aqua suites are really about watching people - not the sea. Enjoy :)

BTW, I'd go again and again and again. We did 19 nights so far.

Petel, thanks so much for your input. We booked this cruise in February based on the advice of our TA and others who said they were selling out, and we did book a standard balcony (as we've done with all our cruises). Not sure at this point if we'll change it. We love ocean view seating in the dining venues, as well as being able to walk outside from forward to aft and view the ocean. On the Voyager class, although they are fairly large ships, the design doesn't inhibit the feeling that you're on the ocean, I feel. The Oasis just may be too large a ship for us to enjoy what we're used to, but we'll give it more thought and see what others think. We do appreciate your input! Have a Happy New Year!

It's true that there are places on the Oasis that you can not see the sea! BUT, IMHO, there are plenty of places to see the sea. There is not nearly the view of the sea that you get on a Radiance class ship. I see you were on VY and you probably could say the same thing if you choose not to see the sea. By all means if you want to feel like you are on a ship then book a conventional balconey. The "inside" balconeys, including the Aqua suites are really about watching people - not the sea. Enjoy :)

BTW, I'd go again and again and again. We did 19 nights so far.

So Marilyn...y'all finally got off? LOL!

OP: I have to agree with Marilyn. There are places on the ship that you can't see the sea...but plenty of places that you can! The solarium has great views out. The views off the back from the flow rider area is fabulous. The views from Windjammer are good. We were in a B1 at the back and loved, loved, loved it. We had the best of both worlds...we had an "inside balcony" but an "aft ocean view" and could also watch the boardwalk, the zipliners, etc. We too are ready to go again and again (and I wish again). LOL!

I have read a few negative reviews about the layout of the Oasis as far as lack of ocean view from the dining room/restaurants and the pool area' date=' [/quote']

Lack of ocean views from the pool area?? As on all ships, the pool deck is up top, open air, and you can see the ocean all around. And while the jogging track is somewhat sheltered on deck 5, it's still open air, with ocean views. And, as someone already mentioned, there are great ocean views from the Solarium, cantiflevered hot tubs, Windjammer, Aquatheater area, and Sports deck area around the flow riders. The only place I found a real difference was in the fitness center. Some of the cardio machines have windows above, but there are many in the middle of the room, unlike many of the other ships where they are all in front of a large glass window area. Honestly, I really never had any feelings of "I don't feel like I'm on a ship!"

We were in a B1 at the back and loved, loved, loved it. We had the best of both worlds...we had an "inside balcony" but an "aft ocean view" and could also watch the boardwalk, the zipliners, etc. LOL!

So glad to hear that you liked your B1. We booked the furthest aft B1 on deck 9 and I can't wait to experience it!

jean

Petel' date=' thanks so much for your input. We booked this cruise in February based on the advice of our TA and others who said they were selling out, and we did book a standard balcony (as we've done with all our cruises). Not sure at this point if we'll change it. We love ocean view seating in the dining venues, as well as being able to walk outside from forward to aft and view the ocean. On the Voyager class, although they are fairly large ships, the design doesn't inhibit the feeling that you're on the ocean, I feel. The Oasis just may be too large a ship for us to enjoy what we're used to, but we'll give it more thought and see what others think. We do appreciate your input! Have a Happy New Year![/quote']

Advice is easy and it was my pleasure to offer it. The important thing is for you to make up your own mind and don't look back. If you enjoyed the VY then at least give OA a try. You'll never know otherwise. The decisions are much more numerous about what to do and when to do it so please consider MTD. That way at least your dinning schedule is flexible. Enjoy! :)

So Marilyn...y'all finally got off? LOL!

OP: I have to agree with Marilyn. There are places on the ship that you can't see the sea...but plenty of places that you can! The solarium has great views out. The views off the back from the flow rider area is fabulous. The views from Windjammer are good. We were in a B1 at the back and loved, loved, loved it. We had the best of both worlds...we had an "inside balcony" but an "aft ocean view" and could also watch the boardwalk, the zipliners, etc. We too are ready to go again and again (and I wish again). LOL!

Yes, we had to get off...:(....but there is a reservation number in our future on Allure! :D

We also had a B1 balcony near the Aqua Theater. We could "people watch" on the Boardwalk or "sea watch" from the aft of Oasis. And a one minute walk would get you all the ocean views you needed.

Enjoy Oasis.

Happy New Year!

Rick and Deirdra

Thank you everyone for your helpful information, I really appreciate it! It sounds like a wonderful ship, I'm sure we'll have a great time. Petel, we're definitely going to request MTD, we were excited to find that option is now offered on RCCL cruises.

One more question -- I've also read that it's suggested to make reservations for the shows. We're not crazy about that idea, as we never know where we're going to be and don't want to be tied to a specific time (the main reason for cruising for us is the flexibility). Is this necessary, or can we just go to any of the shows when we feel like it and be able to get a seat, as we've always experienced on other cruises? Thanks again!

Angela

One more question -- I've also read that it's suggested to make reservations for the shows. We're not crazy about that idea' date=' as we never know where we're going to be and don't want to be tied to a specific time (the main reason for cruising for us is the flexibility). Is this necessary, or can we just go to any of the shows when we feel like it and be able to get a seat, as we've always experienced on other cruises? Thanks again!Angela[/quote']

I believe they state that they will open up seating 10 minutes before show time. Any reserved seats that haven't been claimed at that point will be available first come, first served.

Thanks, Meg. I guess it's best to reserve a specific showtime for all 7 nights when we first board so we won't have to worry about it, if they allow you to do so. I would imagine it's general seating, that no matter how early you book, choice of seats is based on how early you get to the theater.

Angela

Thanks' date=' Meg. I guess it's best to reserve a specific showtime for all 7 nights when we first board so we won't have to worry about it, if they allow you to do so. I would imagine it's general seating, that no matter how early you book, choice of seats is based on how early you get to the theater.

Angela[/quote']

You can reserve shows online up to 3 months before you board.

Thank you everyone for your helpful information' date=' I really appreciate it! It sounds like a wonderful ship, I'm sure we'll have a great time. Petel, we're definitely going to request MTD, we were excited to find that option is now offered on RCCL cruises.

One more question -- I've also read that it's suggested to make reservations for the shows. We're not crazy about that idea, as we never know where we're going to be and don't want to be tied to a specific time (the main reason for cruising for us is the flexibility). Is this necessary, or can we just go to any of the shows when we feel like it and be able to get a seat, as we've always experienced on other cruises? Thanks again!

Angela[/quote']

Just off the 12/26 New Years sailing.

I never felt like I was not on a ship or was lacking in ocean views.

We made reservations in advance for some shows (Hairspray, Frozen in Time, and Oasis of Dreams), reserved on the ship for some (Come Fly With Me and a comedy show), and walked into the headliner show (Elton John impersonator, he was really good).

I am not sure how many passengers were on our sailing (although I am curious to find out), but you could have walked in to pretty much everything we did except the comedy show and that is only because the venue is very small. That went for everything on the ship - we NEVER felt crowded except on the Royal Promenade on New Years Eve.

I am trying to find the time to write a full review, but in a nutshell, to me the Oasis is a game changer. An amazing experience. I do not think I could go back to a "normal" ship in the Caribbean after sailing on Oasis.

Archived