I keep reading that NCL tries to "nickel and dime" their passengers

qoap24

First, I don't think the OP was complaining, as some of you think, but rather trying to find out information. .

Thank you. I am not complaining at all. I really just wanted to understand why some people feel they are being "nickel and dimed" on NCL. When I went on the Star in April, I never felt like I was being "nickel and dimed". I don't remember paying any more on NCL than on the other lines that I have tried. It wasn't until I started reading a few reviews that made me decide to ask the question. I kept reading about the daily service charges, (or tips, I can't remember what they are called) but I looked on Carnival's website (because we are considering them) and they have a daily charge as well (yes it is $10 and NCL is $12, but I don't really think the $2 is that big of a difference). I also saw that Carnival has a restaurant that is an additional charge and so does Princess, so I guess I don't understand why NCL is being considered as "nickel and diming" their passengers when other lines do the same.

I will say I am not a drinker or a gambler, so I don't know maybe NCL is more expensive there, but from what I can tell NCL is just about the same as other lines. But I do play BINGO and I can remember on all 3 lines they pushed the BINGO, but as others have said on this thread "you can say NO".

I have only been on 3 cruises and all three have been with different cruise lines and my favorite was on NCL. I loved "freestyle" and I guess my family and I like mediocre food ;) because out of the three lines I have tried we liked NCL food the best. :D

Thank you all for your replies. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something when deciding which line to go on.

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

What NCL calls their educational sessions are really liquor tasting which cost money. NCL does not have very many free activities.NOt like the other cruise lines do. They did have a port lecturer on our alaska cruise which was free. It lasted an hour. Most of the classes in the gym cost. YOu can not use the spa with out paying for it. The saunas are free on the other cruise lines.

Every educational session we went to on our NCL cruise was free - and yes, that included the martini tasting. Additionally, we also went to a smoothie tasting activity which was also totally free. In fact, as far as I remember, we did not pay for any on-board activities that we did for the entire week we were on our NCL cruise - and we did do a lot on-board - at least one or two activities/sessions every day.

Howard

Every educational session we went to on our NCL cruise was free - and yes, that included the martini tasting. Additionally, we also went to a smoothie tasting activity which was also totally free. In fact, as far as I remember, we did not pay for any on-board activities that we did for the entire week we were on our NCL cruise - and we did do a lot on-board - at least one or two activities/sessions every day.

Howard

WOW!! the martini tasting and the smoothie tasting were free??? How'd you score that one??? There's always been a charge whenever we went to them.

Yes, as many have indicated, the mainstream cruiselines all "nickle and dime" and it can be annoying if your tolerance levels are particularly low. On the other hand, they do provide free embarkation drinks (and are generous in offering more than one). Also, they offer $100 OBC if you purchase a $250 future cruise reward....yes, I know that may be interpreted as setting you up for future N&D!

The biggest irritation for us is the strategy to get many to use the "speciality" restaurants, which works to the detriment i.e. poorer quality of food and service at the MDR's. This is not enough to put us off NCL, indeed we are booked to cruise Jade February and Gem September in 2010.

It is all about balancing the overall package and, for us, it works more often than not!

The biggest irritation for us is the strategy to get many to use the "speciality" restaurants, which works to the detriment i.e. poorer quality of food and service at the MDR's. This is not enough to put us off NCL, indeed we are booked to cruise Jade February and Gem September in 2010.

...and our own personal experience showed that the main dining room menus were so improved that we ate in the specialty restaurants less than half of what we normally might have. If NCL has some perceived "strategy" to get people into the specialty restaurants I am not seeing it. On our Dawn repo cruise they even offerred 2 for 1's every night of the second week in Bamboo, Salsa, and Impressions and still could not fill them up. Yet, the dining rooms were continually very busy. Go figure.

PE

There will be extra charges on any cruise line you go on but some are worse than others.

I went on the NCL Jewel in November and Ruby Princess in December. Found the extra charges (nickel and diming) to be worse on Princess than on NCL. We couldn't eat in the buffet without being offered liquor or special liqueur for an extra charge several times during our meal. All ceramics classes etc were extra charge. Extra charge for coffee, extra charge for gelato ice cream. My personal favorite for no extra charges is Carnival and worst being Princess.

Added percentages in the gift shop? That's a new one for me... especially since as a Latitudes member I got a 10% discount on everything I purchased there last week... In my four NCL cruises I have also never been in a moldy room, enjoyed all of the entertainment I've seen, and LOVED the food - in the MDRs, the buffets, and the specialties... I'm sorry your experience wasn't as good as all of mine. I do wish that there were no such thing as 'automatic gratuities' anywhere, though... but they seem to be everywhere these days; I mistakenly double-tipped at a restaurant in Miami before we boarded the Sky a couple of weeks ago... :(

To the OP: I find that most of the complaints from people accusing NCL (or any other line) of 'nickel and diming' are from those wanting everything they personally enjoy to be included in their fare and everything they do not personally enjoy to be somehow hidden from them. I have NEVER, in four cruises with NCL, felt 'nickel and dimed'. I have never experienced the 'annoyingly overattentive' drink sellers and have gotten quite a few of my own drinks directly from bartenders rather than wait for a server. I have heard announcements for things I am not interested in - like bingo - as well as announcements for things I AM interested in - no doubt being heard by many passengers who felt about them the same way I do about bingo.

When I read most of the 'nickel and dime' complaints, I see one consistent common thread - the poster's personal desires are being 'imposed' upon: they have to pay for something they want, or they're offered something they don't want. They appear to be completely oblivious to the fact that they aren't the only passengers on the ship and while they might want a full sized Maine lobster for dinner, everyone who doesn't is very glad that it hasn't been added to their cruise fare; by the same token bingo is always full, so clearly someone on board is interested in those 'annoying' announcements.

So, go with the expectation that the cruiseline is doing their best to cater to EVERYONE on board, which includes bingo players, heavy drinkers, art auction fans, emerald buyers... and all sorts of other people interested - or NOT interested - in many different things. The fact that NCL offers such a diverse assortment of options is something I personally LOVE; I can pick and choose what I want and leave what I don't. :)

What she said !!! Great post

WOW!! the martini tasting and the smoothie tasting were free??? How'd you score that one??? There's always been a charge whenever we went to them.

Martini tasting - Grey Goose "Ambassador" was on-board and they sponsored it. The lounge was packed.

Smoothies - not sure why it was free - there were maybe 10 or 15 of us, it was out at the bar/pool on a rainy day. They just kept trays of them coming - they were the small mini-cup size (one mouthful) but you could have as many as you wanted and they kept making them until nobody could possibly have more.

Howard

...and our own personal experience showed that the main dining room menus were so improved that we ate in the specialty restaurants less than half of what we normally might have. If NCL has some perceived "strategy" to get people into the specialty restaurants I am not seeing it. On our Dawn repo cruise they even offerred 2 for 1's every night of the second week in Bamboo' date=' Salsa, and Impressions and still could not fill them up. Yet, the dining rooms were continually very busy. Go figure.

PE[/color']

I'm with you PE. We go to the specialty restaurants just for a different and more intimate experience, not because the food is necessarily better than the MDR. And, also because some of the menu items in the specialty restaurants are not available elsewhere (we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the lobster ravioli in Impressions).

Whether I could consider specialty restaurants as "nickel and diming" would really depend on the value/quality of the food. Am I paying a $20 upcharge for a $20 meal (after already paying for an all-inclusive cruise), or is the extra $20, buying me a $50 meal?

But I do have a question about the upcharges for specialty restaurants. Is it the same price for children? I have an upcoming cruise. I have two young children (5 and 3). They would probably enjoy the show. I believe I have read the surcharge in $25. Would that same surcharge apply to my 2 young children, who will eat less than 1 adult portion combined? (Or paying full price, just for the seats?)

We and our extended family are cruising the NCL Dawn in June but the last time we cruised NCL was in 2002. I don't recall that they were too pushy but there have been big changes in the industry since then so our previous experience probably isn't too relevant.

We just got off a Celebrity cruise and they weren't very pushy. A juice and water fountain/bar was right by the pool and those that found it, not all did, really enjoyed it.

In January we sailed the Emerald Princess and they were very pushy. Although it was the best designed and furnished boat we have sailed on, the constant haranguing drove us nuts. They also had 4 or 5 pools which gave them more opportunities to push drinks on us. At the various restaurants you never have the same waiters so they have no idea who the non-drinkers are.

Hopefully the Dawn staff won't be too pushy. In the mean time, we will try to toughen up before our next cruise.

I don't look at it as nickel & dining as much as constant sales pitches. Seems like all the entertainers mention their CDs/books/DVDs for sale after show, constant sales pitches by the onboard shopping consultant, tables set up in the atrium, photos lining the hall so you can't get through, sales flyers on the bed every night and left outside the door nearly every day, and Bingo at every show. I'm not complaining - I ignore it, throw it away, find another route, simply say "no thank-you" etc. I understand that NCL is a business trying to make money.

Having said all of that, it IS possible to book a cruise and, other than the daily added service charge, not spend a penny more. Not that we've ever done that. ;)

I am looking into booking a cruise for me and my family. This will be my fourth cruise. I have cruised with NCL, Princess and RCL. I am considering a cruise for March with either NCL or Carnival.

I keep reading reviews from others saying that on their cruise with NCL that they felt NCL tries to "nickel and dime" their passengers. For those who have felt this way and have cruised on other lines can you please share with me what makes NCL different from the other lines and what extra charges you had to pay that made you feel this way.

Let me also say that I know about the speciality restaurants on NCL and if I remember correctly Princess has those as well.

TIA

First of all, all cruise lines, except the expensive luxury lines, try to "nickel and dime" their passengers. That is why the rates are so low.

That said, I have been on two cruises with NCL and twelve other cruises with three other lines. The only difference between NCL and the other other lines is NCL has more optional extra cost restaurants. Still, if you want, you can eat all you want on NCL without paying extra and without eating in the buffet all the time. The main restaurants are free (well okay, actually included).

I'm not a fan of Freestyle Dining, but for the right itinerary, I would book NCL again.

Whether I could consider specialty restaurants as "nickel and diming" would really depend on the value/quality of the food. Am I paying a $20 upcharge for a $20 meal (after already paying for an all-inclusive cruise), or is the extra $20, buying me a $50 meal?

But I do have a question about the upcharges for specialty restaurants. Is it the same price for children? I have an upcoming cruise. I have two young children (5 and 3). They would probably enjoy the show. I believe I have read the surcharge in $25. Would that same surcharge apply to my 2 young children, who will eat less than 1 adult portion combined? (Or paying full price, just for the seats?)

On the Sky last month, our daughter was charged 50% in Cagney's. I had read about this on CC, but we've never asked for it and it was the first time we got this deal. We just never bothered in the past because our daughter was eating a full meal, ordering apps and dessert, and basically consuming as much food as a regular adult. We paid full price for her in LeBistro - where she ate more than I did, so while we may have been able to request the 'child price' and pay less, I think it was reasonable for us to pay the full price. Note also that the children's menu is available - at no additional charge - in every restaurant on the ship. I think the only restaurant where the seats are more of a factor is Teppanyaki, since the seating is so limited there.

As for the value of the specialty restaurants, I think every individual has to decide this for themselves. In our city, when we go out for a meal like what we get at Cagney's, if we ordered an appetizer, a salad, a prime rib dinner with extra sides, and dessert, our bill would be at least $150 for the three of us. At Cagney's, it's $75 (or with the child's discount, $62.50). To us, it's absolutely worth it - but we're a family of red meat eaters. There are other items on the menu, of course, but if I didn't specifically want prime rib or a juicy steak, I wouldn't go. Comparing Teppanyaki, our teppan grill at home is always at least a $100 touch at home, and that's without dessert or appetizers. The $15 each we spent at LeBistro doesn't begin to touch what we would pay for the same meal here. On the other hand, we don't eat at the Italian restaurant, because the surcharge there is NOT worth it - to US. Many people swear by it, however, and I think it's marvellous that for them, the option is there. Heck, I think it's marvellous that the option is there for us, because I'd rather have an opportunity and decline it than not have an opportunity at all.

Just as an additional note to the discussion, I keep seeing the word 'free' being tossed around; I think I may have used it myself a couple of times. The reality is, though, that NOTHING is free. It's either 'included' or 'not included', but you're paying for it somehow. To us, the best thing about the number of options on NCL that involve a cost is that they aren't part of our fare. In four cruises, we have never spent enough on 'extras' on board to even come close to what we saved over other lines for a similar booking. I realize that others have found great deals on other lines, but for us, with our personal restrictions due to work, school, etc. we've consistently found that our cabin on NCL has been hundreds of dollars less than the competition. :) An excellent example is the spa, which has been mentioned in this thread as being 'included' on other lines. Nobody in our family uses the spa... so why on earth would we want to pay a higher fare to sail on a line where it was part of our base cost?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

PE

On our recent 9-day cruise, our onboard charge to our CC was $467.79. That included a $250 cruise certificate, so also the $100 OBC, as well as $150 additional OBC we had. We don't book excursions, but go out on our own using local guides, taxis, buses, etc. We also don't drink alcohol and carry on our own sodas because what we prefer is not offered on the ship. (I have to admit that we would have spent a lot more on drinks if we could convince the the waitstaff that we wanted non-alcoholic drinks or the non-alcoholic drinks were still listed in the menu.) And we're just not big shoppers. I'm sure many would think we're boring and wonder why we cruise, but to each his own.... We already have our next one booked!

Having said all of that, it IS possible to book a cruise and, other than the daily added service charge, not spend a penny more.

Impossible!!! Nobody on Earth can survived on NCL MDR's inedible food for a whole week. :eek:

I am looking into booking a cruise for me and my family. This will be my fourth cruise. I have cruised with NCL, Princess and RCL. I am considering a cruise for March with either NCL or Carnival.

I keep reading reviews from others saying that on their cruise with NCL that they felt NCL tries to "nickel and dime" their passengers. For those who have felt this way and have cruised on other lines can you please share with me what makes NCL different from the other lines and what extra charges you had to pay that made you feel this way.

Let me also say that I know about the speciality restaurants on NCL and if I remember correctly Princess has those as well.

TIA

I have sailed on NCL 11 times, twice on Princess and once on Costa.

Most recent NCL cruise was in May. on the Spirit.

The push to sell alcoholic beverages was noticable. If you sat by the pool a waiter would be by every couple of minutes if you didn't have a drink in front of you. Prices were high, Also, while seated in LeBistro, they had a flower vendor going from table to table. Tacky.

The constant announcements don't bother me, but they are constant, for sure.

The extra charge for LiBistro was 15/pp. It was worth it to us for the atmosphere and service.

Cagneys was 25/ as was the Asian resto's

I didn't find the food in the MDR up to my expectations.

I have never done the Martini tastings, but people who enjoy that type of thing consider it a good deal for the money (15.00)

On the Crown Princess last month, I was much happier with the MDR food, and didn't eat at the Crown Grill, although I did and enjoyed it on prior cruises. Surcharge was 25/pp for the Crown Grill.

There were very few extra charges on Princess. I understand that there is a nominal charge for Gelato in the cafe. Since gelato is a specialty item, I doubt that they would have it available if they did not charge. A small fee makes people think about whether they really want it or not.

I guess I would say that of the three different cruiselines I have cruised, NCL is the pushiest for selling extras, IMHO, but I wouldn't let that keep me from sailing NCL again if the price and itenarary were right.

The push to sell alcoholic beverages was noticable. If you sat by the pool a waiter would be by every couple of minutes if you didn't have a drink in front of you.

I guess I would say that of the three different cruiselines I have cruised, NCL is the pushiest for selling extras, IMHO, but I wouldn't let that keep me from sailing NCL again if the price and itenarary were right.

My thoughts on that are this:

Bartenders around the pool...personally I like that they walk by and check to see if you need anything. On my Celebrity Panama Canal cruise, for the entire two weeks, if we wanted a drink we had to get up and go to the bar. There were parctically NO bar waiters walking around....I don't like that.

(There were other things I didn't paricularly care for during that cruise which is why I haven't had the courage to book with them since)

We usually find ourselves one special bar waiter and kind of 'keep' him or her for the entire sailing. The other bartenders figure out that they aren't going to be able to wait on us after a day or two and we usually are left alone with only the one bartender taking care of us.

This winds up to be one happy bar waiter because we treat him or her very well :D And in turn, they take care of us well for the entire cruise.....

so there is no hassle. It becomes personalized service :D

As for the extras, I actually enjoy having the choice to purchase them. I really like long cruises and having all those dining options makes things less boring. I would likely never again take a long cruise with traditional dining...being in the same dining room night after night for a prolonged period is just not good for me. I don't mind paying for the optional restaurants. I absolutely LOVE the variety.

As for food in the main dining room I agree that it isn't as good as what you get when you pay extra at the alternative restaurants, but it's not bad. (The 'worst' food I have had to date has been on Royal Caribbean) Most of my meals in the main dining room on NCL ships was really very good. BUT in all honesty, out of all the NCL cruises I have taken, I would say that food and service on the Spirit were my least favorite...however, over-all it was one of my favorite cruises to date.

If I still have my drink or do not want another, I just choose to NOT make eye contact with the server. They have never waited for me to look at them so they could ask me if I wanted something. It really is quite simple, just don't make eye contact. I do that with the locals selling on the streets also, and it works

My thoughts on that are this:

Bartenders around the pool...personally I like that they walk by and check to see if you need anything. On my Celebrity Panama Canal cruise, for the entire two weeks, if we wanted a drink we had to get up and go to the bar. There were parctically NO bar waiters walking around....I don't like that.

(There were other things I didn't paricularly care for during that cruise which is why I haven't had the courage to book with them since)

We usually find ourselves one special bar waiter and kind of 'keep' him or her for the entire sailing. The other bartenders figure out that they aren't going to be able to wait on us after a day or two and we usually are left alone with only the one bartender taking care of us.

This winds up to be one happy bar waiter because we treat him or her very well :D And in turn, they take care of us well for the entire cruise.....

so there is no hassle. It becomes personalized service :D

As for the extras, I actually enjoy having the choice to purchase them. I really like long cruises and having all those dining options makes things less boring. I would likely never again take a long cruise with traditional dining...being in the same dining room night after night for a prolonged period is just not good for me. I don't mind paying for the optional restaurants. I absolutely LOVE the variety.

As for food in the main dining room I agree that it isn't as good as what you get when you pay extra at the alternative restaurants, but it's not bad. (The 'worst' food I have had to date has been on Royal Caribbean) Most of my meals in the main dining room on NCL ships was really very good. BUT in all honesty, out of all the NCL cruises I have taken, I would say that food and service on the Spirit were my least favorite...however, over-all it was one of my favorite cruises to date.

Yes, I agree with you about the specialty restaurants...I enjoy having the option.

If you plan to enjoy cocktails by the pool, than having a waiter come by frequently, than it's good to have waiters come by frequently. However, my DH does not drink alcohol at all, and I don't drink much, so it was annoying to have to stop reading to say.."no thank you" over and over again

Also, agree about the Spirit...my most recent NCL cruise on the Spirit was my least favorite of all. There seemed to be a lack of the"special' factor that we have always felt in the past on NCL cruises.

A few petty annoyances that were entirely avoidable made us fell like less than valued customers.

My most recent cruise, in November was on the Crown Princess, and I had always been an NCL fan in the past

My most recent cruise, in November was on the Crown Princess, and I had always been an NCL fan in the past

We're thinking we may try the Caribbean Princess in Oct :)

We're due to give Princess a try now.

Archived